Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2021 Entry Draft, the Ducks select Mason McTavish

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
In five years we can all come back and see which of the players in the top nine has made the greatest contribution to his club and which, if any, have busted. Every draft choice is a gamble, and scouting tries to reduce the risk of that gamble. Other than Power at #1 there was a good deal of dispute about the exact ranking of the remainder of the top nine. All I can say at this point is that McTavish fills a need for the Ducks if he succeeds, and that in makes him a good selection for me.

Reactions: KyleJRM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
In five years we can all come back and see which of the players in the top nine has made the greatest contribution to his club and which, if any, have busted. Every draft choice is a gamble, and scouting tries to reduce the risk of that gamble. Other than Power at #1 there was a good deal of dispute about the exact ranking of the remainder of the top nine. All I can say at this point is that McTavish fills a need for the Ducks if he succeeds, and that in makes him a good selection for me.

Reading the FA thread board that we're still shopping Rico makes it too obvious that the org wants McTavish to start this season. I don't like gifting positions and would rather have players earn it. Guess we'll all have to wait to see what's going on for the rest of the week.

Reactions: Zegras11 and lwvs84

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Reading the FA thread board that we're still shopping Rico makes it too obvious that the org wants McTavish to start this season. I don't like gifting positions and would rather have players earn it. Guess we'll all have to wait to see what's going on for the rest of the week.

Possible but very unlikely IMO. He needs another year of junior for sure to continue to develop his game. GMBM will find another center if they trade Henrique. I still think the Ducks are a good candidate to take on Johnson's contract (or most of it) if they can get something good with it (Foote?). Lot's of possibilities out there to change the roster around but I'd be very against McTavish playing next year in the NHL.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
With Rico and Getzlaf gone:
Zegras/Lundestrom/Steel/Grant
If he makes roster McTavish would be pushing Steel to wing for 3C role during his 9 game nhl sample before being returned to OHL.

I think they would sign a cheap old veteran to play above Zegras.
No top line just two 2nd lines.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He does remind me of Sam Bennett his draft year in some ways too....

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
With Rico and Getzlaf gone:
Zegras/Lundestrom/Steel/Grant
If he makes roster McTavish would be pushing Steel to wing for 3C role during his 9 game nhl sample before being returned to OHL.

I think they would sign a cheap old veteran to play above Zegras.
No top line just two 2nd lines.

Or... we can keep Rico. We're not in any cap restraints today nor tomorrow. I know Rico can score here. I like the devil I know than the one I don't.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Auston was not a 3rd overall pick and there is not a single player of that caliber in this draft, not even close. At least in their current development. And have you looked at Zürich? Their roster was insane. And they produced as good the year after. There was not much Matthews slump.

Yeah, that was a crazy roster. Pius Suter, the Blackhawks 2nd line Center last season, played 3rd line on that Zurich team. And that's just one example. I posted this elsewhere already...I don't wanna bash Matthews or what he did in Switzerland but he did it on a good team that dominated the regular season. Olten, the team McTavish and Othmann played for, was not a good team last season. Especially not while they were there. I think they barely finished 5th with 69 points, 12 behind 4th placed Sierre, the team they sweeped in the playoffs and 33 points behind Ajoie and Kloten who were tied for 1st place. So Olten wasn't good at all for their own standarts. Also, McTavish played a lot with the imports. That meant he had good linemates but since you're only allowed to ice two import players in the Swiss League, playing with the imports also means you're either facing the other team's imports or their top shut down lines who aren't looking to make plays and just want to to stop you from scoring. Certainly, you almost always get the opponents top defense pair when you're on the ice. So while McTavish played "just" Swiss League, he did it on a team that played poorly and he was still playing with and against a lot of good players...many of those also could play NL.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I’m not saying the league is trash, only that is not like the SHL or even NL. He did well there, but it’s not like Austin Mathews who tore up NL. I am just not comfortable with the short performance rocketing him for a mid-to- late 1st , to top 3.

He was more than ppg on a poor team. Well, a good team that played poorly, to be fair, at least during the regular season. His scoring could have been better if he wasn't eased in the first few games. He went directly from the airport to the rink for his first practice and played the day after as 13th forward despite jetlag. I think the plan was to hold him out but somebody was injured or sick. McTavish also had 7 points in 4 playoff games. Could Matthews have done the same? Possibly yes. Could McTavish have scored ppg in the NL? Probably not. Still, Matthews did his damage with a loaded Lions team, then was nowhere to be seen in the playoffs. So the gap isn't quite as big as you think it is.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He started the season as a goal scoring shooting winger though from what I read....

Yeah. Played mostly wing both for Olten and the Petes. He'll never be a playmaking Center but him playing the wing explains why he didn't get a lot of assists lately.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
TL;DR version: Fans like short, easy blurbs from mainstream scouting. And that blurb hype sways persuasion far easier than lengthy deep dives. Guenther was bestowed to get very good blurbs and McTavish... not so much, but both played similar amount of games in 2021. Fans are far easier to accept Guenther over Eklund than McTavish over Eklund. It's much easier to have cognitive dissonance in order to hate a pick rather than to understand the pick once selected.

Epic version:
This is how many scouting media feel, especially ones that didn't watch McTavish in the NL-B. (This response is a general response, not directly at you.) They were all relying on their 2019-20 scouting report, which is why they all cite "big NHL shot" and "needs to improve skating". Just using common sense, McTavish playing on a bigger ice surface against bigger, faster men and producing at a very high rate would imply that his skating has improved. Yet, when I did my deep dive, I found that those scouts who watched McTavish this year vs those who didn't have opposite views of McTavish's skating. I mean there are those who are stuck using 2019-20 footage vs those who witnessed McTavish's 2021 season, albeit short, but more than enough to easily evaluate his skating has improved.

I get that having a bigger sample makes for a more concrete evaluation, but COVID screwed that up for several prospects. This is where a deep dive is required along with nuances. For me, it was McTavish's growth that made me understand why Central Scouting had him #2 overall. It wasn't just one publication saying that McTavish had a humongous jump in development, but several sites. For example, FC Hockey cites all these vast improvements and gives many praises, but their projection had McTavish as a 3C with an upside of 2C. That eval didn't make any sense until you factor in two things: 1) sample size and 2) bias (probably didn't watch his NL-B play).

McTavish v Guenther
FC Hockey's final rankings had McTavish 10th and Guenther 6th overall. Guenther's EP consolidated ranking is 6th overall.

2019-20 Comparison

2019-20
.LeagueGamesGAPts.PPGPPAPP Pts.ES GES AES Pts
GuentherWHL582633598917182442
McTavishOHL5729134254924933
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This draft year, all we heard about was Guenther being the best sniper and goal scorer. When we look at their D-1 year, McTavish was the better goal scorer. In fact, he the better ES goal scorer. Guenther has loads of assists. That would imply that McTavish has tunnel vision with the puck in the offense and Guenther a more well-rounded offensive player.​
2020-21 Comparison

.LeagueSeasonGamesGAPtsPPG
GuentherAJHLRegular43251.25
WHLRegular121212242.00
McTavishNL-BRegular1392110.85
NL-BPlayoffs42571.75
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Guenther has the similar games played, but his stock is a firmly established top-5/10 talent by the mass media. Recall, so many media had Guenther going to the Ducks at #3, along with Eklund and Hughes. No one is questioning Guenther's game to be a top-5 selection with the mainstream media. Yet, there was only one scouting report that was skeptical of Guenther because his WHL performance was not consistent with the production at the AJHL and WJC-18's. One had to scour the web to find that tidbit. A couple of reasons for Guenther's WHL's great outing is due to playing with high end prospects and the set five team rotation was a very weak group. Guenther plays for Edmonton.

WHLCentral Division2021
TeamGPWLOTLPtsPCT.GFGADiff
Edmonton232021410.8911044163
Medicine Hat231481290.63876918
Calgary211083230.5487279-7
Lethbridge249123210.43881108-27
Red Deer234154120.26159106-47
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
What's odd here is that McTavish was playing in a men's league and so many mainstream scouting do not give enough credit of playing in a men's league. I've shared often the excel comp between McTavish and Othmann as an apples to apples comparison that shows a difference in production. Then we recently get an on-ice reporting sharing the difference exists. McTavish scores 9 goals in 13 games against men and Guenther scores 12 goals in 12 games against his peers. That weight of playing against men should be a factor, but it's not with the mainstream scout rankings.

LeagueTeamGamesGA PtsPPG
GuentherWJC-18Canada74371.00
McTavishWJC-18Canada756111.57
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Why did Guenther's production drop from his WHL performance while playing on a top line with 2022 top-3 projected C Wright and 2021 16th overall Othmann? McTavish was tied for the third best scorer on the team and third best goal scorer (the top-2 were Wright and 2023 Bedard). Guenther finished the WJC-18 as its seventh best scorer and fourth best goal scorer. Remember, Guenther has been labeled an elite goal scorer. Finally playing against his peers, McTavish was able to showcase all the ways he's improved while playing center. Still, his performance by the mass scouting still got...

tenor.gif
Mason credits his time in the NL-B for his performance at the WJC-18, citing the NL-B plays faster and are stronger. Cognitive dissonance is given berth when playing in a men's league is third rate, especially from Duck fans because Lindholm was drafted 6th overall by playing in a men's league not called the SHL.

With similarly games played between Guenther and McTavish in 2021, the prospect ranking and hype of the two are vastly different. Guenther's stock has remained relatively high all a long. McTavish's stock only rose in July, over a month after Central Scouting put out he's the #2 NA skater on May 27, which makes absolutely no sense!​
The draft is and will always be a gamble. A lot has to do with loads of scouting and luck in position as well as who might fall. I won't tell you that McTavish will be great. I'm just saying maybe McTavish wasn't presented very well to the masses, especially when we compare McTavish to Guenther. And then there was a huge hype for Othmann rising, but McTavish clearly outplayed and outproduced him at every level this year. I was confused by the hype Othmann was receiving versus the skepticism that McTavish could be a top-10 pick. Othmann was selected 16th, but many scouts and fans didn't see McTavish as a top-10 or fringe top-10 pick. Once McTavish was selected 3rd overall, the majority hated the pick. If it were Guenther selected 3rd overall, there wouldn't much of an outrage as he's been presented by many mainstream media to be the pick. (I would have been upset because I value Eklund far more than Guenther.)

A lack of positive exposure for McTavish is why so many people don't like the pick for the Ducks or even the feasibility of possibly being the pick. The latter was on full display on this message board often. Poster can praise Eklund, Beniers, Hughes, Edvinsson, Guenther, and Clarke, but don't talk about McTavish. McTavish wasn't worthy of consideration at #3 overall by the majority on this board. Heh, despite me doing all the leg work in sharing of several deep dives, the majority just didn't care and were surprised at how McTavish became the pick. Some are still in disbelief.

I agree with a lot of this but again, the McTavish vs Othmann comparison is a bit unfair because McTavish played a higher percentage of games with the imports. Also, Othmann does still provide a lot of value even when he's not scoring. He's incredibly efficient as a hitter and a great agitator. He's drawing a shitload of penalties. Also, Othmann scored 12 in 14 or something before his scoring fell off a cliff until playoff time. So McTavish was just more consistent than Othmann who clearly needs more time than McTavish does. A major concern for McTavish is indeed his skating. His skating is better than many think and it was good enough to play in a fast pro league on wider European ice. Still, it's not what you excpect from a 3rd overall. Re the Guenther comparison, McTavish was always gonna catch him because of his ability to play Center. Also, Guenther played a poor WJC18 and that didn't help.

McTavish at 3 is probably too early and I was sure the Ducks would take Eklund. Still, the upside for McTavish is there and lots of teams were desperate for Centers, so trading down wouldn't have worked.

Reading some comments, I also think the organization just saw a better fit in McTavish vs Eklund.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I agree with a lot of this but again, the McTavish vs Othmann comparison is a bit unfair because McTavish played a higher percentage of games with the imports. Also, Othmann does still provide a lot of value even when he's not scoring. He's incredibly efficient as a hitter and a great agitator. He's drawing a shitload of penalties. Also, Othmann scored 12 in 14 or something before his scoring fell off a cliff until playoff time. So McTavish was just more consistent than Othmann who clearly needs more time than McTavish does. A major concern for McTavish is indeed his skating. His skating is better than many think and it was good enough to play in a fast pro league on wider European ice. Still, it's not what you excpect from a 3rd overall. Re the Guenther comparison, McTavish was always gonna catch him because of his ability to play Center. Also, Guenther played a poor WJC18 and that didn't help.

McTavish at 3 is probably too early and I was sure the Ducks would take Eklund. Still, the upside for McTavish is there and lots of teams were desperate for Centers, so trading down wouldn't have worked.

Reading some comments, I also think the organization just saw a better fit in McTavish vs Eklund.
It could also have to do with Anaheim's scouts who may think that if OHL wasn't cancelled he would have had a extremely good year in the OHL.
I wonder if they thought he was a steal and wanted to trade down to capitalize further on it because they believe Eklund is prefered by other teams
but the risk vs what they were offered to trade down made it not worth it.
Bob Murray or Martin Madden said that they felt they weren't getting fair value for trading down.

Columbus is a team that may have taken him so trading down to #6 Detroit who probably turned it down anyways because they wanted to keep their late 1st for Cossa.
Swapping picks with NJ made no sense for NJ because they'd lose a late 1st or high 2nd and are gonna get Hughes either way.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

You should have read the comment before he was drafted as he was not a viable draft selection at #3 for the majority on this board. It was either Eklund, Guenther, Edvinsson, Hughes, or Clarke, presuming that both Power and Beniers were taken in the top-2.

Here's what I wrote in the "Predict who we will pick at 3rd overall" thread:

McTavish. He fills so many needs for the Ducks: center, goal scorer (better than Guenther!), good at faceoffs, high hockey IQ, physical, plays all three units (ES, PK, and PP), goes to high danger areas often, as well as heart & soul type of player. He made the biggest improvement over a year, which includes his skating and overall command of the game. He's still continuing improving his body and skating today. Also, has played against men already and was able to produce at a high clip.

We're lacking top-6 centers today, but we're hoping Lundy can breakthrough to being a 2C. Hope still isn't a strategy. The fact we protected Des over Rico in the expansion draft doesn't speak well about Rico's future with the Ducks. With McTavish, he becomes the 2nd most talented center in the system behind Zegras.

The finally tally for that prediction thread was

1. Eklund, 34 votes
2. Beniers, 14 votes
3. Edvinsson, 11 votes
4, Power, 9 votes
4. McTavish, 9 votes​

I've shared a lot of deep dives on McTavish that the majority of this board completely dismissed because they only wanted to hear about Eklund, Guenther, Edvinsson, Hughes, or Clarke.

As for teams desperate for centers, I think it's teams preferring centers as they're a bit more valuable. Case in point, the 2021 draft is supposed to be the year of the defensemen, but three centers were taken in the top-5.

D Power
C Beniers
C McTavish
D Hughes
C Johnson​

The scary part is that Johnson possesses the most elite individual talent today, but his individual play doesn't mesh with team play at the moment. He's a big gamble. I read somewhere that he will still be playing wing at Michigan next season, but Columbus is set to seeing Johnson becomes a center.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
You should have read the comment before he was drafted as he was not a viable draft selection at #3 for the majority on this board. It was either Eklund, Guenther, Edvinsson, Hughes, or Clarke, presuming that both Power and Beniers were taken in the top-2.

Here's what I wrote in the "Predict who we will pick at 3rd overall" thread:

McTavish. He fills so many needs for the Ducks: center, goal scorer (better than Guenther!), good at faceoffs, high hockey IQ, physical, plays all three units (ES, PK, and PP), goes to high danger areas often, as well as heart & soul type of player. He made the biggest improvement over a year, which includes his skating and overall command of the game. He's still continuing improving his body and skating today. Also, has played against men already and was able to produce at a high clip.

We're lacking top-6 centers today, but we're hoping Lundy can breakthrough to being a 2C. Hope still isn't a strategy. The fact we protected Des over Rico in the expansion draft doesn't speak well about Rico's future with the Ducks. With McTavish, he becomes the 2nd most talented center in the system behind Zegras.

The finally tally for that prediction thread was

1. Eklund, 34 votes
2. Beniers, 14 votes
3. Edvinsson, 11 votes
4, Power, 9 votes
4. McTavish, 9 votes​

I've shared a lot of deep dives on McTavish that the majority of this board completely dismissed because they only wanted to hear about Eklund, Guenther, Edvinsson, Hughes, or Clarke.

As for teams desperate for centers, I think it's teams preferring centers as they're a bit more valuable. Case in point, the 2021 draft is supposed to be the year of the defensemen, but three centers were taken in the top-5.

D Power
C Beniers
C McTavish
D Hughes
C Johnson​

The scary part is that Johnson possesses the most elite individual talent today, but his individual play doesn't mesh with team play at the moment. He's a big gamble. I read somewhere that he will still be playing wing at Michigan next season, but Columbus is set to seeing Johnson becomes a center.
Its partly because People were just getting tired of McTavish long essays.
It got annoying for most people so it became easier to dismiss him as a prospect.

Reactions: duckpuck and Rasp

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Its partly because People were just getting tired of McTavish long essays.
It got annoying for most people so it became easier to dismiss him as a prospect.

Sure, but now they're sharing their long diatribes on him because they truly had no idea why he would even be selected. So now it's okay. Do you know how many times people think I only wanted McTavish when I said I preferred McTavish, but I also like Eklund? I preferred a goal scoring center over a playmaking wing. I was all set for Eklund at #3 until I researched McTavish. People just kept saying Nick Ritchie 2.0 or he's just a big body that hits.

Anyhow, they don't complain as much now since McTavish was selected and wondered how they missed the boat on that. Ohhh btw, I saw on ducks' reddit that it was Madden who was in charge of the whole draft.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad