With the 30th overall pick the New Jersey Devils have selected, John Quenneville!

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
taht would definitely NOT get it done

we'd have to move 41 and like a 3rd next year (since we dont have 1 this year right?)

we have a 3rd this year

also, remember Phoenix paid a 3rd last year to move up 3 spaces in the 2nd

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
taht would definitely NOT get it done

we'd have to move 41 and like a 3rd next year (since we dont have 1 this year right?)

No we still have a 3 but we don't have a 4. So essentially moving up blows up our draft until round 5.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Barbashev had 68pts in 48G

Quenneville 58pts in 61G

the offensive upside doesnt appear too close atm. we'll see I guess

Agree for the most part - really wanted Barbashev but can't really hate the pick anyway.

Also, different leagues, but JQ has been progressing well in the last year. If he works on his skating I think he could be a #2C which for the 30th pick, is a steal.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Agree for the most part - really wanted Barbashev but can't really hate the pick anyway.

Also, different leagues, but JQ has been progressing well in the last year. If he works on his skating I think he could be a #2C which for the 30th pick, is a steal.

I think his jump in production is an intriguing part of all this.

I like his solid playoffs as well.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
gonna stay positive on this one. see what happens tomorrow.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Can't complain.

Big two-way center who has unreal work ethic.

Is that part of the equation as well?

This pick is viewed negatively here only because we overlooked him prior to the draft. I think that's what this boils down to.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
What I like most about him aside from his supposed above average skill and work ethic is, he apparantly has high hockey sense.

That is important to me.
Too many of our players last year were not blesed withmuch hockey sense/savy.

Tedenby did not have any to speak of, the main reason why he's in the KHL.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Is that part of the equation as well?

This pick is viewed negatively here only because we overlooked him prior to the draft. I think that's what this boils down to.

I mean some people really have to ask themselves if the 'popular choice' wasn't still on the board would they still be having a cow over this pick. I think it's more about who we passed over and how much hype he got before the draft here than disliking the actual pick itself.

We should have been drafting 11 anyway and not 30 but that's another story. Of course we could also not have had a pick at all.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 2m
Lamoriello called John Quenneville "an Adam Henrique type of player. He can play in all situations."

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
pronman says he has an above average skill level. Are people just saying it's a safe pick because he's not elite offensively?

At this part of the draft you have to be pretty lucky to get a guy with elite offensive abilities.

Draft is not over anyway, they have a pick at 41.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
The more i think about this first round the more and more angry i get, we should have had #11 with that we could have gotten Perlini, Milano, Larkin, Fiala, but we don't have the pick and have #30 and we could have had Lemieux or Barbashev, but no.

Quenneville the average skating two way center that is at best a good second line center rather than Lemieux or Barbashev who at best are 1st liners. one being a power forward with grit, thr other being a highly skilled leader with good IQ

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
It's not so much that they passed up Lemieux because I think they're pretty even. The thing that bothers me is that they need high-end offensive skill in the system and they pass on Barbashev. Should have been a no brainer. That's not to say that Quenneville is a good or bad pick (honestly don't know enough about him), but Barbashev fell right into their laps.

kinda sums up my feelings too

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The more i think about this first round the more and more angry i get, we should have had #11 with that we could have gotten Perlini, Milano, Larkin, Fiala, but we don't have the pick and have #30 and we could have had Lemieux or Barbashev, but no.

Quenneville the average skating two way center that is at best a good second line center rather than Lemieux or Barbashev who at best are 1st liners. one being a power forward with grit, thr other being a highly skilled leader with good IQ

It's why we boo Bettman louder than anywhere.
An injustice that they stripped us of our pick to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad