Prospect Info: With the 27th pick in the 2020 draft, the Ducks select Jacob Perreault

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Jeez, can I get a TLDR from that?
TL;DR: I'm overanalyzing someone's personal qualities based on his statistics during a season in which it was very difficult to form line chemistry with anyone, even after three pages of caveats supported by actual former scouts about the way that personal qualities don't always follow conventional wisdom based on what you see on the ice. It'd be one thing if we were talking about legitimate rumors about interviewing poorly or about locker room issues centering around this player, but no; his +/- is slightly worse than would be expected for his situation (even though one can certainly be defensively inept while still working hard) and therefore he has potential attitude issues.

Perreault has some question marks for sure. But let's not speculate some others that have no basis in fact into existence.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Thanks for the in-depth review of Perreault!

When I was watching a video scouting review of Drysdale, the scout shared that Perreault was 1st overall in skating with the puck and Drysdale was third. Skating with and without the puck backwards, Perrault wasn't listed in the top-3, then again, it was a video about Drysdale and he does skate backwards very well.

Your review along with Draft Dynasty's review are similar such that you can identify elite talent, but then also know that the team was bad, but also know that Perrault was also bad on the defensive end. All that extra work put in during the off-season didn't help Perrault's draft stock to rise. In fact, it dropped with respect to the consensus of mocks. Seeing how the NHL commentators really berated Perrault on air probably was a common scouting report on his laziness on the defensive side, which is scary and which is probably why he dropped. Did Perrault deserve those negative comments on air? I didn't think he did so at his drafting, but after some research, I get where the NHL commentators were coming from. Kid has an "elite toolkit", as stated by Draft Dynasty, but doesn't even use it at max, which includes his skating. The only players I've read that have an elite toolkit are Laf and Raymond, going 1st and 4th overall, respectively.

I appreciate the background info on the coaches. But I do have some queries, if you don't mind answering them. How did Perrault do two seasons ago (his D-1) year. His plus/minus rating in his D-1 season was +1, but his draft year was a -34. Was Perreault 'lazy' in his D-1 year? The 2018-19 Sarnia team wasn't great either. Why the difference in production with the same coach? And why will his D+1 be different with the same coach?

Sarnia
SeasonGPWLOTLSOLPTsGFGADiffPlayoffs
2018-196828335263271300-29Yes
2019-206222345150244299-55No
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If Perrault put in more effort, then could the team have improved to be similar to the 2018-19 year? And was Perrault having a tantrum because he wasn't with his usual linemate in Rees? But you expect Perrault to become an instant leader as well as overcome the bad coaching? I would love that! That would be very Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of personality switch, though.

Here's a player on a bad team, but didn't give up on his team. Granted this player is a defensemen, Jamie Drysdale.

Erie
SeasonGPWLOTLSOLPTsGFGADiff
2018-196826383156230300-70No
2019-206326264763229236-7Yes
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Coming from an outsider, I love Perrault's elite tool box and potential, but am very skeptical about his consistency, effort, and mental fortitude. Yeah, he's a kid, but he's a kid with NHL pedigree whose innate skills surpass his dad's skills. I guess I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

I think the plus/minus numbers you are referring to between last year and his first year in the OHL are a lot to do with the fact that he went from playing mostly a 3rd line role in his first year as a 16 year old, to a 1st line role in his second year. Sarnia graduated a couple top end forwards after Perreault's 1st year so he automatically moved up on the depth chart and secured his spot on the Sting's top line with what he did as a 16 year old in his rookie season. He was defiantly put into more situations and logged a ton more minutes this past year then he did his first year....that kinda goes without saying obviously. Perreault has showed the same kind of inconsistencies for the last two seasons, they were glorified with his added minutes and responsibility on a rebuilding Sting team this past year.

The reason i put some of the blame on the coaching is because the Sting have been very poor defensively the last several years. They have the 3rd worse goals against the last two years in a row. Not only is that a problem, but they spend extensive amounts of time being hemmed up in their own zone. Teams exploit Sarnia's defense quite easily. I would need all my fingers and toes and then some, to add up the amount of games where Sarnia let more then 50 shots on their goal. Perreault's poor effort on the defensive side of the puck can be said for the rest of the forward group that Sarnia has iced the last two years with the exception of 2-3 guys. If this was strictly only a Perreault issue then I'd be more worried on your end. Sarnia was so inconsistent as a team that one player could not have made a significant impact to make things any better.

Consistency was the biggest word thrown around when it came to Perreault. He defiantly had off nights and lacked effort no doubt. The OHL is a development league and your only as good as the team and coaching around you. Sarnia graduated 3 of the teams captain/assistants this past year and have 2 more overage players then what's allowed going into this year. There's no doubt that Perreault will be looked to for some leadership. This will be they year to tell what Perreault is truly capable of in my opinion. He's now been drafted and has a lot to prove and will need to do that regardless of poor coaching or being on a poor team. It was a lot to ask for from a 16-17 year old but he knows what it takes to win in the OHL and he has a potential NHL contract looming over his head so that's more then enough to get to work and prove himself worthy.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Perreault has obvious offensive talent, but I want to see him use his shot a lot more this season. I see a bit of Sprong in him to this point, but I hope he can develop into a more well-rounded offensive player.
He doesn't seem to be head down like sprong though. Many of those highlights he made good one touch plays that would have been surprising from sprong purely from a play style standpoint.

I think he struggled finding space for his shot. I don't know if it was skating, IQ, the shock of pro competition, ect. I expect better things this time around, hopefully he has worked hard this summer.

Reactions: duxfan1101

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It is harder and harder to ignore his work down in San Diego. He is #9 in the AHL in scoring with some games in hand.

He has twice as much points as anyone other teammate on San Diego (except Tracey who is not challenging him anyway)

He just scored a michigan.

He could be called up sometime. Honestly, I don't think he will do much in the NHL now but a morale boost could be good by a callup.
Looking forward to him in the WJC. What if we have too many injuries and he's our only hope at the NHl level tho? :laugh:

PS
Jack Quinn, from the same draft, is scoring even on a better pace

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It is harder and harder to ignore his work down in San Diego. He is #9 in the AHL in scoring with some games in hand.

He has twice as much points as anyone other teammate on San Diego (except Tracey who is not challenging him anyway)

He could be called up sometime. Honestly, I don't think he will do much in the NHL now but a morale boost could be good by a callup.
Looking forward to him in the WJC. What if we have too many injuries and he's our only hope at the NHl level tho? :laugh:

PS

Nah. I'm good with Perreault staying in the AHL for most or all the season. He scored last season as an 18-year old, but was also overwhelmed and got injured often. This year is a good stepping stone. Scoring isn't a problem for Perreault, it's the rest of his game that needs work. During the rookie camp, he wasn't on the same level as Zegras, Drysdale, or McTavish. Plus, the Ducks aren't hard up for goal scoring. What they need is better 200 ft play and defense from their forwards to improve their ES defense. Those are things that both Perreault and Tracey need to work on along with added strength. Remember, Perreault did get injured last season.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
He could be the best US player offensively this year at the WJC, main competition being Coronato, Bordeleau, Beniers(kinda), and pasta

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Looking like he's developing well. Leave him in the A all year and let him know it's a big camp for him next season.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Looking like he's developing well. Leave him in the A all year and let him know it's a big camp for him next season.
I think he should at least get some games in at the end of the year, granted he continues his strong play, reward him with a bit of NHL pay to motivate him and give him a taste of the major leagues so he can feel out what he wants to work on in the offseason.

Reactions: Mr Rogers and Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He should get a few games with the big club at some point to help motivate him for next season.

been on his train since draft, think he’s going to be a 30 goal 60 point guy… thought he was super underrated in his draft. Skates well, good hands, and arguably the best shot not in the NHL . His skill set compliments what we already have in young players. Def could see him playing with zegras…. I wish terry was a center cause he’d prob be good on Terry’s wing too

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He should get a few games with the big club at some point to help motivate him for next season.

been on his train since draft, think he’s going to be a 30 goal 60 point guy… thought he was super underrated in his draft. Skates well, good hands, and arguably the best shot not in the NHL . His skill set compliments what we already have in young players. Def could see him playing with zegras…. I wish terry was a center cause he’d prob be good on Terry’s wing too

A cup of coffee near the end of the season sounds perfect. Otherwise, just leave him in the AHL until his dominance reaches a level where he's too good to be there.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah give him a taste the end of this season, let him have a good summer and likely makes the team out of camp next season. Perreault is going to be an ideal line mate for Z. Gotta develop these kids the right way and not rush them.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Definitely deserves a call up if he continues near a ppg pace for some time. He arguably appears to be approaching that level of being too good for the AHL but let’s see if that goes on for a while.

I think another big topic with him is how his defensive game is progressing and i can’t really tell in limited viewings but I’m sure Ducks brass knows.

Reactions: Arthuros and lwvs84

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

PS
That's awesome. He is exactly what we need alongside Zegras. The core is really rounding out very nice. Madden is a genius

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
He plays just like Phil Kessel used to but a little slower but has better hands. We will see if he learns how to shoot and score on nhl goalies and defense like Phil did. He can shoot in stride just like Kessel and has an insane release on his snap shot. I have him ranked right next to McTavish in our pipeline after seeing him this season. He is definitely going to be fighting for a spot next season and it will be earned most likely. Good for him on improving his 2 way game so much as well.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
That's awesome. He is exactly what we need alongside Zegras. The core is really rounding out very nice. Madden is a genius
It is going to suck if they lose him to Montreal as their next GM.
I fear an outside hire will bring in 'his guys' and the Ducks go back to drafting like the Ducks in the late 90s.
I could see a new scouting staff drafting Russians all the sudden and we see a few Smirnovs.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
It is going to suck if they lose him to Montreal as their next GM.
I fear an outside hire will bring in 'his guys' and the Ducks go back to drafting like the Ducks in the late 90s.
I could see a new scouting staff drafting Russians all the sudden and we see a few Smirnovs.
I’d cry if we lost him. Just make him gm and build a good team around him. The draft is imo the most important aspect of their job. Very few teams consistently dominate in trades but some teams consistently suck and drafting while others consistently kill it.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I don't know anything about it so I'm not trying to speculate but maybe he doesn't want the spot. Some people like to be the right hand man.

Reactions: Boo Boo

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think Perrault is at all ready for a call up. Let him marinate.
Same. Let him show it all year and then let him know this camp is huge for him and his immediate future with the ducks. Maybe give him a couple games at the end of the year depending on our situation at that time.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
There are lots of people in the game who just enjoy scouting and either don't aspire to chase a management role or wouldn't be suited for one.
Yep less stressful and get to focus on the thing you like and are good at.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
There are lots of people in the game who just enjoy scouting and either don't aspire to chase a management role or wouldn't be suited for one.

I read somewhere that Madden likes living in Montreal, which would obviously be difficult for him as GM. If he doesn't want to become a GM and wants to remain in scouting, then the team should just pay him like a top talent scout so other organizations don't try to poach him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad