Prospect Info: With the 27th pick in the 2020 draft, the Ducks select Jacob Perreault

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The 19th overall pick in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection Draft, Jacob Perreault surprised many with an outstanding rookie season. The son of former NHLer Yanic Perreault scored 30 goals and added 25 assists for 55 points in 63 games as a 16-year-old. He was named to the OHL All-Rookie Team and finished fourth in OHL rookie scoring. Perreault also played for Team Canada Red at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, scoring two goals in six tournament games.

Perreault was even better this season. He scored 39 goals and 31 assists for 70 points in just 57 games for the rebuilding Sarnia Sting. Born in Montreal, Perreault has dual Canada/US citizenship. While he has not played in any IIHF sanctioned tournaments yet, the fact that he choose to play for Team Canada at the Under-17 is a good indication that he will commit to Canada when the time comes. Perreault also attended Team Canada camp ahead of last summer’s Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. However, with a deep roster, he was one of the team’s last cuts before the tournament. Perreault played at the CHL Top Prospects Game.

His sister, Liliane Perreault is playing NCAA Division-1 Hockey for Mercyhurst.

Jacob Perreault Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #25

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Not a big fan still when he has a questionable motor, but then again all of this years snipers have questionable elements like average skating and average motors... Holtz/Quinn/Gunler/Foerster/Brisson.

If we went for a big risk player I would have preferred trading down for a pair of 2nds and rolling the dice with other sniper options with the same question marks like Jarventie/Robins/Hiroven, or pint sized Nybeck/Pashin/Gushchin/Miettinen. At least we would have two shots for a big upside player.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
NHL blackbook had him ranked 19

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
His play style comparison was Andrei Svechnikov

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I obviously can't post the enter post but here is a snippet...

"Perreault is the top shooting talent in this draft. That's not a hyperbole, it's not a slight to other to end shooters either. This is one of the deepest drafts we've seen for shooters and Perrault is legitimately at the top of this list. What separates Perreault from Holtz, Gunler, Quinn, Miettinen, Perfetti, Lafeniere, Raymond and Rashevsky is his remarkable versability. Most talented shooters have one or two shot types that they rely on, Perreault has them all."

"Not only did his shot look identical to NHL superstars but 95% of Perreault's goals this season looked translatable"

They go on to compare his shot to Elias Pettersson.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He has a very good backhand as well. Not something you see often with prospects.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not a big fan still when he has a questionable motor, but then again all of this years snipers have questionable elements like average skating and average motors... Holtz/Quinn/Gunler/Foerster/Brisson.

If we went for a big risk player I would have preferred trading down for a pair of 2nds and rolling the dice with other sniper options with the same question marks like Jarventie/Robins/Hiroven, or pint sized Nybeck/Pashin/Gushchin/Miettinen. At least we would have two shots for a big upside player.

Holtz has above average speed and a very high motor as he rarely takes shifts off. Probably why he went 7th overall.

I had no idea who Perrault was as he was one of the few prospects I didn't watch from DD's scouting review. I gotta say, this was a homerun, swing for the fences type of player. Perreault's natural talent at skating, puck handling, sniping, playmaking, and high IQ reminds more of Lucas Raymond than Holtz. According to DD, Perreault's got an elite tool box, who I automatically thought of Raymond.

Now, I know why the NHL network tv guys commented that he's "lazy" or "an incomplete player that disappears". Before his draft year, he probably had graded similarly to Raymond with innate elite skills, not overall all game play.

D-1: 63 games, 30 g + 25 a = 55 pts, plus/minus = +1
D: 57 games, 39 g + 31 a = 70 pts, plus/minus = -34​

Both seasons, his team were bad when you look at the plus/minus rating for the whole team. Yet, Perreault's plus/minus rating plummeted in is D season. DD did denote that the team was bad, but it was also on Perreault's play. Perreault basically quit playing defense in his draft year, this can be seen on DD's scouting video.

Perreault's born with this innate elite toolkit skills, but he wasn't pushing the envelop this past season. All those NHL network commentators probably held Jacob in high regards in his D-1 and thought he would continue to skyrocket into his D season. And they were mightily disappointed like a parent who know their child just didn't put in enough effort, especially due to Jacob's hockey pedigree.

If I were the Ducks' org, then I'd be saving those statements about Jacob as a form of motivation for Jacob to improve. Jacob isn't the only player who's fallen into that "lazy" stage. Getzy went through that during his juniors stint too (Fox Sports Prime Ticket had a special about Getzy and followed him through juniors... unfortunately, Frontier stopped carrying Fox Sports West & Prime Ticket, but I digress). Getzy fell to 19th overall. We benefited from Getzy's immaturity.

So this is a gamble with Jacob. We know he can play a whole 200-foot game with this D-1 production, but can he be motivated enough to develop that 200-foot game? That offensive mind is there, but is he willing to leave his teammates on an island because he's only playing offense? I dunno. This is why I prefer high motor guys who have average to good skills because you can count on them to continue their progression. This is why I really like Holtz, Rossi, Drysdale, and Sanderson. Raymond is still a very good prospect, but that transition to the SHL (men's) was a bigger jump than he anticipated. Perreault was still playing against his same peers and didn't play in half of the hockey game for himself, his teammates, or his coach.

At the 27th pick, it's a very good gamble. He's got Raymond-type elite skills that isn't fully tapped often enough, including his skating. I wasn't expecting to draft a player like this because we often pass up players like this. We passed up on Kaliyev last year for the earnest Tracey. If Jacob dedicates himself to be an elite player, then we got an elite player. It really is up to him. We got a couple of years or more to see how this plays out.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Perrault has underrated speed. The question for him is about reaching that top gear in game as opposed to skating tests

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
I obviously can't post the enter post but here is a snippet...

"Perreault is the top shooting talent in this draft. That's not a hyperbole, it's not a slight to other to end shooters either. This is one of the deepest drafts we've seen for shooters and Perrault is legitimately at the top of this list. What separates Perreault from Holtz, Gunler, Quinn, Miettinen, Perfetti, Lafeniere, Raymond and Rashevsky is his remarkable versability. Most talented shooters have one or two shot types that they rely on, Perreault has them all."

"Not only did his shot look identical to NHL superstars but 95% of Perreault's goals this season looked translatable"

They go on to compare his shot to Elias Pettersson.
If he becomes a threat on the PP, that will be HUGE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad