Prospect Info: With the 27th pick in the 2020 draft, the Ducks select Jacob Perreault

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
That sentence out of the latter description is what I thought when I watched the clip of his goals. This isn't a more physically mature kid getting in favourable spots, it's just a terrific and multi-faceted shot, which will translate well. Combined with him apparently already having the skating tools given the reports about his speed in drills and him acknowledging the areas he needs to address, this makes for a really intriguing fit.
It really stood out how well he can whip it while skating through seams. In fact, he was always moving so yeah, when he's engaged he should be a threat. Even with 15 PPGs it only seemed like a couple of them were one-timers. As long as he battles to get open and can still get it off in traffic, he could be a stud.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I've been watching a ton of footage of him since yesterday and I can't think of a player to compare him to. He scores in so many ways, enough that you can project him as a goal scorer at the next level like the other high end guys ie Holtz, Quinn, etc. But he can do everything else offensively really well too. Carrys the puck through the neutral zone without slowing down, very creative passer that will most likely work better when he has better linemates. It seems like the only things he's not NHL level are defensive intangibles... opposite of his dad. I know he's been back and fourth C to wing so I think as he focuses on winger responsibilities those things will improve.

It's also unique that a guy as thick as he is (5'11", 200lbs) can skate as well as he does. I think he's still playing with 'baby fat' and will likely hit another gear. Even if he doesnt gain another step he's gonna be a load coming down the wing when he's mature

Last edited:
Reactions: robbieboy3686

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
The guy can shoot at any angle and with almost no leverage, its insane how much power he gets on some pucks so close to his feet or pucks not in ideal situations.

There's a long way to go to project any kid as an NHL scorer, and it's not just enough to have a great shot ... but that is definitely not a typical skill. It's clearly something he's specifically practiced.

There's plenty of guys who can rip it when they have time and space with the puck in their wheelhouse, but I'm struggling to think of many who could consistently shoot well under less ideal conditions. Perhaps a Sandstrom or Robitaille back in the day?

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
What are you talking about? He’s saying the year before his draft was the biggest year in his career, no surprise there. He has been working in the offseason and the “work starts now” comment is fairly standard for every player who just got drafted, as in they need to prepare for camp. This is a pretty big reach

And you're leaving out the context that Perreault fell to us. If Perreault actually put in "work" in his draft year, then Perreault would have been selected far earlier and the Ducks wouldn't be able to draft him.

"Getting drafted is the fun part, but this is where the real work starts. It starts with improving my strengths and weaknesses. " - Perreault​

I acknowledge the only reason we got Perreault was because he didn't put in work because so many other teams passed up on him. And this is what you're omitting with your response. Perreault is a boom or bust player, a type of player the Ducks usually don't invest in the first round. We passed up on Kaliyev last year, but we didn't this year with Perreault.

With Drysdale, I don't have to worry about his effort and consistency. He had talks with the Ducks before the draft and Drysdale said he's continuing working on his skating, particularly his explosive first steps.

I'm not blind as to why Perreault fell, but I'm also grateful he fell to us in hopes he can wake up because his tool kit is amazing. Maybe he can use the fact he dropped as motivation. I don't know why you're attacking me when I'm quoting what Perreault said.

Now, if you think Perreault didn't fall in the draft, then you'll see nothing wrong at all with his statement.

So, I ask politely, do you think Perreault didn't fall in the draft? If you do, then that is your opinion and this conversation ends. If you do think Perreault fell, then why aren't you a bit of a skeptical?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It really stood out how well he can whip it while skating through seams. In fact, he was always moving so yeah, when he's engaged he should be a threat. Even with 15 PPGs it only seemed like a couple of them were one-timers. As long as he battles to get open and can still get it off in traffic, he could be a stud.

Draft Dynasty loves his tool kit and skating. He even points out how Perreault has that extra gear in a video clip, but rarely uses it. Also, Perreault's creativity on the offensive end to where he started using the spin-o-rama pass like Zegras last year. Perreault's upside his like top-10 talent... if he's engaged!

I'm hoping he's that smart kid that got bored, but now that he's drafted, he's got a bigger challenge in front of him. If he's engaged, then we got a Raymond Lucas-esque talent. I'm excited to see how he performs next season to see his progression.

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
And you're leaving out the context that Perreault fell to us. If Perreault actually put in "work" in his draft year, then Perreault would have been selected far earlier and the Ducks wouldn't be able to draft him.

"Getting drafted is the fun part, but this is where the real work starts. It starts with improving my strengths and weaknesses. " - Perreault​

I acknowledge the only reason we got Perreault was because he didn't put in work because so many other teams passed up on him. And this is what you're omitting with your response. Perreault is a boom or bust player, a type of player the Ducks usually don't invest in the first round. We passed up on Kaliyev last year, but we didn't this year with Perreault.

With Drysdale, I don't have to worry about his effort and consistency. He had talks with the Ducks before the draft and Drysdale said he's continuing working on his skating, particularly his explosive first steps.

I'm not blind as to why Perreault fell, but I'm also grateful he fell to us in hopes he can wake up because his tool kit is amazing. Maybe he can use the fact he dropped as motivation. I don't know why you're attacking me when I'm quoting what Perreault said.

Now, if you think Perreault didn't fall in the draft, then you'll see nothing wrong at all with his statement.

So, I ask politely, do you think Perreault didn't fall in the draft? If you do, then that is your opinion and this conversation ends. If you do think Perreault fell, then why aren't you a bit of a skeptical?
I’m not trying to attack anybody, I just think you’re reading way too much into a quote he made after he got drafted where he really didn’t say much but you labeled him as a “salesman”. I don’t think he dropped that much based on the mocks I saw, maybe a few picks based on some teams preferences but nothing crazy

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Plenty of talent lets just give him a chance to prove himself and surround him with the right people to be successful when he gets here instead of acting like he tricked us into drafting him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I’m not trying to attack anybody, I just think you’re reading way too much into a quote he made after he got drafted where he really didn’t say much but you labeled him as a “salesman”. I don’t think he dropped that much based on the mocks I saw, maybe a few picks based on some teams preferences but nothing crazy

They way many scouts rave about his skills made me think of Lucas Raymond, but Perreault didn't put in a lot of effort. Which is crazy because he still was considered a first round pick. When some scouts say he's got average skating, but then DD shows on tape that he possesses elite skating, but doesn't use it all that often, then you have to think his skill rate is a top-10 talent. I think that's why Madden jumped to announce the pick with over a minute left on our clock. He really liked the pick and I'm with him because you're potentially getting a top-10 talent at 27th overall if he's able to push himself to be a top-10 player in his draft.

I'm in that "show me" stage. Perreault could be that smart kid in a normal class that disengages his interest to go all out this past year. I'm hoping it's that too. He's got a high hockey IQ, which could also mean he's got a high IQ. We swung for the fence with Perreault, but I didn't like his response. Again, I stated it could be your normal teenage bumbling response, but his response wasn't bumbling. If he turns it on from here on out, then great! If not, then at least we gave him a chance.

His potential, imo, is a top-10 talent, but his play left much desired to where some had him in the late teens at the highest mock, 18th to NJ with Draftsite. Let's say he was projected in the early 20's, say 21st overall. The drop was only six spots based upon this mock model. I say it's a far bigger drop because his talent suggests a top-10 talent. We lucked out, but we only luck out if he pans out.

Another perspective, the Caps traded up for a player with concussion history at 22nd overall rather than take the chance a healthy, talented Perreault. Let's just hope that Perreault was just bored. That's how I want to frame it because I really want him to pan out at the NHL level for us!

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
One of the biggest talents great players have is the ability to work hard enough with a focus on their goals to maximize their talent

the kid is a high pick, so the talent is already out of the normal, right?
Now the focus and discipline will largely determine his future. Greats do it frighteningly (almost obsessively) well MOST of the time

let’s hope this kid finds the inner drive to do this, he looks pretty amazing!

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
How much of his disinterest is from a losing environment? It's usually hard to keep motivated when your team is just really bad, especially for a teenager. Hopefully he's on a good team this coming year and commits himself... and his dad and Getzlaf start talking to him about consistency.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
How much of his disinterest is from a losing environment? It's usually hard to keep motivated when your team is just really bad, especially for a teenager. Hopefully he's on a good team this coming year and commits himself... and his dad and Getzlaf start talking to him about consistency.
Getzlaf was the same way

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Getzlaf was the same way

Yeah, but it could be a real reason. I don't follow pre-draft much so I'd legitimately be interested to know if it's a product of his environment. From the information available, he seems to know what he needs to do, he just doesn't always do it. Being on a genuinely terrible team might do that. I'd be interested to know if he was more consistent in other leagues/teams where he was winning more.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Plenty of talent lets just give him a chance to prove himself and surround him with the right people to be successful when he gets here instead of acting like he tricked us into drafting him.

He didn't trick us. We took a gamble on him. We usually take the safe, high motor guys late in the first round. Perreault is the opposite type of player we usually draft and I'm not opposed to it because we're desperate for high-end forward talent. The good he shows is elite, unfortunately, the bad traits he shows lead to some nasty comments from the NHL network commentators. I didn't know why, but I kinda do now after some research. He's a player that many saw great potential in his D-1, but that he did not too much with it in his D season.

So no, he didn't trick us. His response is more about himself than us. If he had great preparation this draft year and this was his production, then it wasn't all that, just some of that which was on the offensive side. Now he goes to work. That doesn't make sense because his draft year is a significant part of his job resume. If he can play better than he talks, then we're all good. If not, then we can mark this down as foreshadowing.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Sarnia Sting season ticket holder here. I've been able to watch Jacob play night in and night out for the last two years. There is absolutely no doubt he has all the tools to become a bonified NHL player. His shot is ridiculous and with great accuracy. It's an NHL pro shot no doubt. His skating was always underrated but he put that to rest during the Prospects combine, coming out on top in testing with and without the puck.

Saying that, there were some effortless nights where he was more of a bystander then anything else. Sarnia really struggled this past year, getting off to a horrible start. Perreault didn't have much of a supporting cast, including his usual line mate in Jamieson Rees. Times like that you need your top guys to really step up and be leaders. I think he struggled with finding a consistent stride and compete level. We all know hockey isn't as fun when your on a losing team. I put a lot of that blame on the Sting coaching. Sting have former NHLers Derian Hatcher and David Legwand as owners/coaches. Hatcher is a complete nut sack. He can't coach. He is stuck in the 1990's with his style and it does not translate to todays game. He shows zero emotion on the bench, doesn't motivate. Just stands there like a pissed off statue. Legwand was put in charge of the defense which to me is ass backwards seeing how Hatch was the defensemen and Legwand was the forward. I know the kids respected Legwand and he got through to them, but Hatcher not so much. I am confident that Jacob would have been a much higher pick if he had a better coach and wasn't on a bottom feeder team. The fact that he still scored 39 goals in 57 games is remarkable on a last place team.

Perreault has been working with his dad non-stop in Chicago during the off-season. Watching tapes and really working on his defensive side of the game. He's has claimed he is a new and improved player and i don't doubt that. I truly believe he will tear up the OHL this season and finish top 5 in scoring and possibly lead the league in goals. Sarnia also has made some coaching changes in the off season and has gotten commitments from a couple high talent players. There is high hopes for the team in Sarnia this year and i can see Jacob getting the A on the jersey and being an important part of the leadership group.

Perreault will be in your line up in the next 2 years, no doubt in my mind.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Real conflicting reports about Perreault's skating. This may not be popular but the highlight videos I've seen, the way he sort of chugs but still manages to get around people with octopus-like moves, and seeing as how he finds lots of different ways to score, he looks like Corey Perry to me.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Perrault>kase career when it’s all said and done. Love kase, but poor guy is an injury bug. This kid will work hard and make a mark for us, no doubt in my mind.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Sarnia Sting season ticket holder here. I've been able to watch Jacob play night in and night out for the last two years. There is absolutely no doubt he has all the tools to become a bonified NHL player. His shot is ridiculous and with great accuracy. It's an NHL pro shot no doubt. His skating was always underrated but he put that to rest during the Prospects combine, coming out on top in testing with and without the puck.

Saying that, there were some effortless nights where he was more of a bystander then anything else. Sarnia really struggled this past year, getting off to a horrible start. Perreault didn't have much of a supporting cast, including his usual line mate in Jamieson Rees. Times like that you need your top guys to really step up and be leaders. I think he struggled with finding a consistent stride and compete level. We all know hockey isn't as fun when your on a losing team. I put a lot of that blame on the Sting coaching. Sting have former NHLers Derian Hatcher and David Legwand as owners/coaches. Hatcher is a complete nut sack. He can't coach. He is stuck in the 1990's with his style and it does not translate to todays game. He shows zero emotion on the bench, doesn't motivate. Just stands there like a pissed off statue. Legwand was put in charge of the defense which to me is ass backwards seeing how Hatch was the defensemen and Legwand was the forward. I know the kids respected Legwand and he got through to them, but Hatcher not so much. I am confident that Jacob would have been a much higher pick if he had a better coach and wasn't on a bottom feeder team. The fact that he still scored 39 goals in 57 games is remarkable on a last place team.

Perreault has been working with his dad non-stop in Chicago during the off-season. Watching tapes and really working on his defensive side of the game. He's has claimed he is a new and improved player and i don't doubt that. I truly believe he will tear up the OHL this season and finish top 5 in scoring and possibly lead the league in goals. Sarnia also has made some coaching changes in the off season and has gotten commitments from a couple high talent players. There is high hopes for the team in Sarnia this year and i can see Jacob getting the A on the jersey and being an important part of the leadership group.

Perreault will be in your line up in the next 2 years, no doubt in my mind.

Thanks for the in-depth review of Perreault!

When I was watching a video scouting review of Drysdale, the scout shared that Perreault was 1st overall in skating with the puck and Drysdale was third. Skating with and without the puck backwards, Perrault wasn't listed in the top-3, then again, it was a video about Drysdale and he does skate backwards very well.

Your review along with Draft Dynasty's review are similar such that you can identify elite talent, but then also know that the team was bad, but also know that Perrault was also bad on the defensive end. All that extra work put in during the off-season didn't help Perrault's draft stock to rise. In fact, it dropped with respect to the consensus of mocks. Seeing how the NHL commentators really berated Perrault on air probably was a common scouting report on his laziness on the defensive side, which is scary and which is probably why he dropped. Did Perrault deserve those negative comments on air? I didn't think he did so at his drafting, but after some research, I get where the NHL commentators were coming from. Kid has an "elite toolkit", as stated by Draft Dynasty, but doesn't even use it at max, which includes his skating. The only players I've read that have an elite toolkit are Laf and Raymond, going 1st and 4th overall, respectively.

I appreciate the background info on the coaches. But I do have some queries, if you don't mind answering them. How did Perrault do two seasons ago (his D-1) year. His plus/minus rating in his D-1 season was +1, but his draft year was a -34. Was Perreault 'lazy' in his D-1 year? The 2018-19 Sarnia team wasn't great either. Why the difference in production with the same coach? And why will his D+1 be different with the same coach?

Sarnia
SeasonGPWLOTLSOLPTsGFGADiffPlayoffs
2018-196828335263271300-29Yes
2019-206222345150244299-55No
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If Perrault put in more effort, then could the team have improved to be similar to the 2018-19 year? And was Perrault having a tantrum because he wasn't with his usual linemate in Rees? But you expect Perrault to become an instant leader as well as overcome the bad coaching? I would love that! That would be very Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of personality switch, though.

Here's a player on a bad team, but didn't give up on his team. Granted this player is a defensemen, Jamie Drysdale.

Erie
SeasonGPWLOTLSOLPTsGFGADiff
2018-196826383156230300-70No
2019-206326264763229236-7Yes
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Coming from an outsider, I love Perrault's elite tool box and potential, but am very skeptical about his consistency, effort, and mental fortitude. Yeah, he's a kid, but he's a kid with NHL pedigree whose innate skills surpass his dad's skills. I guess I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad