Prospect Info: With the 27th pick in the 2020 draft, the Ducks select Jacob Perreault

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
There are lots of people in the game who just enjoy scouting and either don't aspire to chase a management role or wouldn't be suited for one.

I actually think that Bob laid a great foundation and system for Madden b/c a lot of the team's success hinged on great drafting. You can use great drafting in three ways: build up the core, use it for trade capital, or use it for cap purposes. There is sustained success if the organization is drafting well.

Let's use Perreault's situation. Everyone's giving Madden credit for selecting Perreault, but who's giving credit to Bob for making a trade to acquire that late round first rounder? Bob was stocking picks in trying to prepare for the transition away from the Twins, which escalated too abruptly when Kesler and Eaves fell to injury in 2017-18 season. The Ducks started doubling first round picks in 2016 (LW Jones; C Steel) and continued that trend in 2019 (Zegras; Tracey) as well as 2020 (Drysdale; Perreault). The Steel selection in 2016 was had because we traded away G Andersen due to the fact we drafted Gibby and Gibby was flourishing as a prospect. Gibby was a 2011 draftee. Andersen netted us Steel (2016) and Comtois (2017).

The draft is always a gamble, but if you're competent at it, then the organization can weather most storms - except when you lose three of your top-4 forwards in a span of two years due to injuries, where two of them couldn't come back to play again in the NHL.

I think Madden as GM with Solomon as Exec VP would be a great combo for the organization. Listening to Solomon's presser, he shared that vision for the organization involved so many hands from the owners, to the GM, Asst GMs, and Scouting. And with the org rocking like a hurricane again, it revealed the vision is working.

We all complained this off-season that we were disappointed that Bob didn't go trade for two top-6 forwards. We could have traded for Pavel Buchnevich, paying him $5.8 mil for the next four years. Which prospects would have not been given a chances to shine this year if Buch and another top-6 forward were acquired? Pavel has 6 points (4g, 2a) in 11 games. Rico has 12 points (5g, 7a) in 15 games, who also makes $5.8 mil for the next three seasons. We would potentially be strapped with $12 mil between those two forwards for at least three seasons. By letting the kids play and letting the media know officially we're in a rebuild, we are now seeing growth from several prospects. We are also seeing growth from Perreault and Tracey, who are at the AHL level today. Then there's Pastaujov blowing up the OHL. Remember, it was Bob who dropped the hint that skating coach Underhill was at Pasta's OHL team and giving Pasta another option. Heck, we still don't know what we have in McTavish, but his NHL timeline is this year or next year.

The difference between this year and the past few years is actually health, both physical and mental. I thought Getz should have retired b/c his play dropped so terribly last season, but he picked it up. Our blue line has been very good. It's a better environment for our prospects and veterans to thrive within.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I read somewhere that Madden likes living in Montreal, which would obviously be difficult for him as GM. If he doesn't want to become a GM and wants to remain in scouting, then the team should just pay him like a top talent scout so other organizations don't try to poach him.

I remember when AHL coach Dineen didn't want to move away from Portland, Maine long ago. Then we find him in the Anaheim organization again as its AHL coach for San Diego. I suppose it's all in timing and opportunity.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
His character? I though his issue was not wanting to play defense. Is there a character issue I don't know about?
No that plays into it. People thought he had character issues because he “gave up on his team” which includes not wanting to play defense or not skating as hard

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
From Friedman:
We were expecting to see Jacob Perreault on the Team USA roster for the World Juniors. However, he could not get his American passport in time, and is therefore ineligible to play for them. This is a IIHF-sanctioned event, and once you declare a country, you stick with it. He could also play for Canada, but his choice is this one.

Reactions: Arthuros

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Dude I just wanted to see this guy to play world juniors. He would have been a total knockout for that style of game.

Reactions: Arthuros

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It sucks he didn't fulfill the dream of the WJC but debuting in the NHL a bit later must feel nice anyway :)

Personally I don't expect much, but just feel very happy for him.
Normally he would not be able to debut, unless the exception rule and him being in the AHL instead of the OHL

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Players don’t usually float around in their first nhl stint so I actually have pretty high hopes. Still not expecting him to stick around for too long though

Reactions: Kalv

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Nobody's posted anything from his debut but he played just under 10 minutes and I thought looked pretty solid. Had a chance right on the doorstep that he got tripped on but there was no call and he started the play by making a nice steal at the blueline, 78.5% CF%, natural stat trick doesnt want to work on my phone right now so I'm not sure about his xGF% numbers. One of the Rangers goals did deflect in off of his stick. Anyway, he looked pretty good for a 19 year old I thought.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'd leave him in the A for one more season personally. Let him simmer he had a good debut but had some really bad luck.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Looked bigger than expected. They did have that one shift where they pulled out all the fancy moves which was thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

Reactions: bsu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad