Prospect Info: With the #24 pick, the Wild select (D) Filip Johansson (Allsvenskan, Leksands IF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't recall seeing the J20 and U-19 teams listed the last time I looked at his profile.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If actual stats start showing up in that column, that's probably not a good sign

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
If actual stats start showing up in that column, that's probably not a good sign

Because a guy should never play in a league he's too good for? Wouldn't you argue it makes sense for JEE and Kunin? There is nothing wrong with assigning a guy if it's a better fit for his development - but it's not one size fits all.

He was playing in a pro league and listed as top-pairing. He was obviously not thriving. If they loan him to the J20 squad, he can start playing QMJHL-level opposition, put up some points and you guys can stop worrying three years prematurely about whether there was a much better player available.

Seems good either way.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Because a guy should never play in a league he's too good for? Wouldn't you argue it makes sense for JEE and Kunin? There is nothing wrong with assigning a guy if it's a better fit for his development - but it's not one size fits all.

He was playing in a pro league and listed as top-pairing. He was obviously not thriving. If they loan him to the J20 squad, he can start playing QMJHL-level opposition, put up some points and you guys can stop worrying three years prematurely about whether there was a much better player available.

Seems good either way.
A guy going backwards with his development is a bad sign. That can't really be disputed. Doesn't mean that the kids career is over, but then nobody actually said that.

For your Eriksson Ek or Kunin comparisons to make any sense, they would have to be sent to the ECHL. Guess what? If that ever happens, it will also be a bad sign.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Two reasons; the Wild lean heavily on defensive players. That's the bread and butter for Lapointe and what they are comfortable picking. They aren't going to rock the boat with a new GM and going to pick what they are comfortable and safe with. The other is Bokk is from a non-traditional power-house country. Germany has produced NHL players, but never a star. Draisaitl is breaking that mold, but before him the best was - uh...Kolzig (goaltender), Sturm (journeyman), Ehrhoff (good defenseman)...Grabovski. This goes back to why Kopitar wasn't picked higher and just how traditional the NHL is. Veleno was probably overanalyzed and they started picking apart his game. He's been on the radar since getting the exceptional status and it's easy to pick apart his game as he didn't do much for the first few years. He was a disappointment in terms of development and points up until after his draft year. It happens.
Kölzig is not a product of German hockey.
He was born in South Africa and his German parents moved 3 years later to Canada.
He would have started for Canada at the WJHC in 1989, but he still had only his German passport.

Grabovski was born in Eastern Germany, his parents moved to Belarus when he was 3 years old. He is neither a product of German hockey.

Reactions: Fremitus Borealis

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
FWIW, it appears he played with the big club yesterday, but I'm not 100% confident on that. It's remarkably hard to find a box score (other than who scored) for games in that league. Or else I don't know where to look.

Edit: Of all places, you can see him on the ice in a video on their Facebook page, so he played. I don't really care that much, but figured there had to be a record of it somewhere. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: DumbaTrain

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
Why do I have this feeling he has become the poster child for the Wild's ineptitude for evaluating talent and use of draft choices?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Why do I have this feeling he has become the poster child for the Wild's ineptitude for evaluating talent and use of draft choices?

Because a handful of people are complaining about an 18 year old kid they've seen in training camp at best, who plays an important role (top-pairing) for a middling team in a low-scoring professional league few ever watch, and ignoring the track record of Wild scouts in identifying defense talents.

The Wild since 2010 have made one terrible first round pick (Zack Phillips) who was old for his class, played on a team with NHL talents, and was in a crappy league. Overall, the Wild has not only done well with its first-rounders, the team has also identified free agents and late-round defensemen who have played NHL games. Lock this thread. It's not time to discuss this player.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Because Cuma, Phillips, Lucia, and Gabrial are long gone?

SweLeafsFan

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden
He now has 37 games, 1 assist, -15.
The new regime after Leif Carlsson got sacked does not value him as high, and there is rumours saying their patience is up and that they are moving him down to the J20 league instead.

This is nothing I have noticed and I watch pretty much every game. I have noticed no negative impact on his ice time since the new coach was hired. I know some Leksand fans are starting to lose patience and thinks he should play some games with the junior team but I think he has played better lately.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This is nothing I have noticed and I watch pretty much every game. I have noticed no negative impact on his ice time since the new coach was hired. I know some Leksand fans are starting to lose patience and thinks he should play some games with the junior team but I think he has played better lately.

That's good to hear; do you think there was an issue between him and the old coach? Better scheme to help him? Also who is his defensive partner?

SweLeafsFan

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden
That's good to hear; do you think there was an issue between him and the old coach? Better scheme to help him? Also who is his defensive partner?
No I don't think there were any problems between him and the old coach but difficult for me to say. The old coach was the one that showed lots of trust in him last season when he played great. I think he started to play better when he got to play with Rangers' prospect Calle Själin.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
No I don't think there were any problems between him and the old coach but difficult for me to say. The old coach was the one that showed lots of trust in him last season when he played great. I think he started to play better when he got to play with Rangers' prospect Calle Själin.

Who was his partner before?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Because he IS the poster child for the Wild's ineptitude for evaluating talent and use of draft choices?

SweLeafsFan

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden
What kind of minutes has he been playing lately? Still top pairing, or was he moved down? Any special teams?
I don't know the ice time but 2nd pairing minutes probably. He mostly kill penalties not a lot of power play time.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i guess stats mean nothing? they don't indicate what a player is capable of? i know its not FJ1's fault he was chosen in the 1st. my complaint has always been he was picked way to high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad