Prospect Info: With the 22nd overall pick in the 2022 draft, the Ducks select Nathan Gaucher

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I thought he was considered a risk? Late riser and clear project doesn't scream safe to me.
Hoping Tracey turns into a Jaden Schwartz type but not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
They kind of did the same thing in 2019. They took the safer guy in Tracey in the late first and then swung for the fences with LaCombe in the 2nd round. Last year they swung for the fences in the 2nd with Zellweger. It could be a coincidence or there could be something to that

it was Tracey that was dubbed the fastest riser in his draft year during the second half of the season. Still don't see what the scouting staff saw. He did have an improvement this year, but still not a fan of the pick

Reactions: DavidBL and Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I thought he was considered a risk? Late riser and clear project doesn't scream safe to me.

Tracey is a risky pick. His draft year was his first year in the WHL, which implies late bloomer and project. There's a lot of unknowns with Tracey such as, "Was his draft year production b/c of him or his overager linemates?"

Anaheim could have picked a player who was familiar with Zegras in LW Kaliyev. I wanted the safer pick in D Thrun at 29th. Instead, Anaheim picked players who are late bloomers or improved in their second half of the season who might project better at the NHL level.

LW Tracey was a pick out of nowhere. Based upon his production after his draft, he has fit the whole late bloomer/project title. Mostly it's because he's physically behind by a year. Tracey was held back from the WHL b/c his body wasn't ready for it. All he did once he did play in the WHL, his D+0 year, he won Rookie of the Year for the WHL as the rookie with the most goals, points, and points.

At pick 39, we went off the board again by taking a risk on a high school defender in LaCombe. Remember when the Ducks were ahead of curve on drafting UDFA college players? And then going after Swedes? I think LaCombe was the start of hedging their scouting towards high schoolers with premium draft slots. Next draft, we used a 3rd round pick on D Ian Moore.

The safe pick I wanted went into the 4th round in D Thrun.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
it was Tracey that was dubbed the fastest riser in his draft year during the second half of the season. Still don't see what the scouting staff saw. He did have an improvement this year, but still not a fan of the pick

tl;dr version:
I'm actually more excited about the Tracey pick, especially after last year's production. What people forget about Tracey is that he's a late bloomer. His first year in the WHL was his draft year b/c the Moose Jaw coaches felt it best to hold Tracey back. I'm thinking he just wasn't physically ready yet. We see the pattern repeat again between the two stints in the AHL for the past two seasons.

There isn't anything elite about Tracey, but he's been a consistent two-way scorer wherever he's gone. The only exception is his 12-game AHL stint b/c COVID shutdown the CHL for a long minute. Tracey really shouldn't have been in the AHL in 2020-21 b/c his body wasn't ready for it yet. Brayden's career so far has been to carry the offense for his team. At the end November, Tracey was leading the Gulls in scoring. He finished 7th in scoring for San Diego.

=== in-depth why I'm a big fan of Tracey === Read at your own peril!!!

LotR version:

D-1
Sent back down to AMHL.

5 games at WHL. Production: 0g + 2a = 2 pts. --> Scoring rate = 0.40 ppg​

D+0
All Tracey did in his first year in the WHL was win ROY as rookie with most goals, assists, and points. Was that b/c of the overagers, which would make Tracey a passenger or did Tracey actually have talent? He was productive at the WJC-18, scoring at a 1.00 ppg rate in seven games.

66 games at WHL. Production: 35g + 45a = 81 pts. --> Scoring Rate = 1.23 ppg​

D+1
Tracey was traded from a lesser talented Moose Jaw that no longer had the overagers and traded away their top defenseman to a defensive minded and offense starved Victoria team. What Tracey did with lesser talent on a Moose Jaw team proved the gamble was correct. The problem was his offensive production took a big dip when traded to Victoria. That's why Tracey wasn't invited back to represent team Canada for the WJC-20. What's odd was that Tracey became Victoria's leading scorer. He carried that offense for both Moose Jaw and Victoria.

28 games with MJ. Production: 15g + 23a = 38 pts. --> Scoring Rate = 1.36 ppg​
24 games with Vic. Production: 9g + 12a = 21 pts. --> Scoring Rate = 0.96 ppg​

D+2
Without the CHL playing due to COVID, Tracey was placed into the AHL. Remember, he's a late bloomer that was held back from the WHL. I didn't think Tracey was ready for the AHL physically. Defend the Nest, a site that covers the Gulls, stated Tracey was often at the right place and right time to score, but nothing produced.
Once the WHL opened up to play, Tracey went back to an even lesser talented Victoria team and lead them in points. What is particular great about his production on an even lesser talented team was how Tracey scored. Victoria didn't have a lot of offensive minded players or schemes last season and this season would be even more of a challenge. Tracey scored 12 of his 21 points on the PP! He had the highest total points on the team. Opposing teams can shut Victoria down offensively b/c they were a one-line offensive team.

12 games with SD (AHL). Production: 0g + 0a = 0 pts. --> Scoring Rate = 0.00 ppg​
21 games with Vic (WHL). Production: 6g + 14a = 38 pts. --> Scoring Rate = 1.36 ppg​

D+3
Tracey's stock was down with the majority of HF posters b/c he did nothing at the AHL level. Yet, all he's done in juniors was carry his team's offense on his back. Tracey never should have been in the AHL last year. Defend The Nest site was proven correct on Tracey having a good season last year despite 0 points. Tracey was able to convert against men this season and lead the Gulls in scoring at one point during the middle of the season. He was rewarded by the org by calling him up to the NHL for a game near the end of the season.

55 games with SD (AHL). Production: 11g + 20a = 31 pts. --> Scoring Rate = 0.56 ppg​

Conclusion
It's true that Tracey possesses no elite skills. Tracey does possess the ability to be a very good two-way scorer (goal scoring and passing) and dangerous on the PP. We are lacking scorers at the NHL and in our system. If the pattern holds true, then Tracey should have an even higher output production going into this season. He may still need extra time physically before he's ready to play at the NHL level.

The org saw a late blooming project who needs extended time to physically mature. For his junior career, I think Anaheim's gamble looked to have paid off for a late round pick as he lead and carried three different teams offensively in two seasons after his draft year. Anaheim's scouting is playing the very long game with Tracey.

82336824.jpg

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Tracey did take a step forward in the AHL.
Need to see how he looks in the NHL.
I'd like to see him get a call up and try him at 3rd line RW for a few games. Same with Perreault.

I just get the feeling Silfverberg is gonna decline more and produce like a 4th liner.

Reactions: Kalv

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
The QMJHL followed Gaucher the day of the Draft for an "inside access" and did interviews with him and his family. The video will be available on the league's website on Friday. They usually do both french and english versions.

Here's a preview :

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The QMJHL followed Gaucher the day of the Draft for an "inside access" and did interviews with him and his family. The video will be available on the league's website on Friday. They usually do both french and english versions.

Here's a preview :

Subtitles please ;)

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Subtitles please ;)

Bettman : Good evening Montreal

N.Gaucher : Now every time I go to Montreal I realize it's coming.

Jacob (his brother) : I'm almost as nervous as him honestly.

Bettman : Welcome to the Draft

His sister : I can't wait to know where he'll go.

His mother : We are at a point where we no longer have control.

Voiceover : Meet a family that only lives for hockey.

His father (looking emotional) : You don't have to show this.

Voiceover : The Gauchers offered a rarely seen access to Nathan's draft day.

N.Gaucher : It was special. A lot of people rush to you.

Voiceover : Live with them the last hours that led to this unforgettable moment...

The Anaheim Ducks are proud to select...

Voiceover : ...which might never have happened...

Quebec Remparts' PBP : On the left wing to Gaucher, he speeds up in the opponent's zone, he shoots and scores!

Voiceover : ...if the Gauchers didn't have hockey in their blood.

And the title at the end : Gaucher - Hockey in the blood

You're welcomed. :)

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Nathan Gaucher in “excellent shape”

The Remparts forward continued to train despite his busy summer

Teammates pointed out to him on Monday, during an activity to build team spirit with the Quebec Remparts, that, despite the busy summer he had, Nathan Gaucher got bigger.

In case you're wondering: he's now swinging the scale at 211 lbs, seven more than at the end of last season, not because he stuffed himself with ketchup potato chips during the summer. In fact, the Anaheim Ducks' first-round pick in the last draft never lost sight of his goal of impressing the California squad, even when he was with Hockey Canada at the last World Junior Hockey Championship.

Used scarcely during the tournament, he decided to use this situation to his advantage.

“I knew by agreeing to go with Team Canada that I would sacrifice a month of training. However, I didn't play that much so I could afford to train after games and even on days off. I could afford it and I knew I had camps coming in Anaheim and with the Remparts. I had to go on because saying that you played a tournament in the summer is not an excuse for not arriving in good shape.’’

Upon his return from Edmonton, the Remparts gave him a week off before he reported to the team’s training camp. A week that he used to spend time with his family, play a few rounds of golf and... train!

"I haven't stopped. I had a busy summer but I feel in great shape. I can't wait to see how it will go.’’

READY TO SURPRISE

The 18-year-old forward will leave for California on September 13 to attend his first camp with the Ducks. “I went through development camp and played with other Ducks prospects with Team Canada [Mason McTavish and Olen Zellweger]. There will be less unkown. I haven't set myself a goal and I don't feel like I have anything to prove. All I want is to play my style and force their hand.’’

A way of seeing things that does not surprise his head coach Patrick Roy.

"Knowing Nate, when he gets there, he's going to want to show what he's capable of and make the team in Anaheim. It will be the same for all our players who will go to professional camps.’’

INCREASED ROLE

Should he ever return to Quebec, Gaucher would feel ready to play an even bigger role next season, in order to succeed where they failed last year.

“We have several guys who are back. We all know each other so the atmosphere will be the same, we will have the same structure, the same entourage, the same coach. I only see positive. We are focused on the season but we are already looking forward to starting the playoffs. We know what we missed last year.’’

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Nice story about Nathan Gaucher and his father who was nearly invited to the Ducks' camp in 1993.

Nathan Gaucher comes full circle in Anaheim

Sometimes we realize our own dreams through our children. The concept applies quite well to Yannick Gaucher, the father of up-and-coming Anaheim Ducks prospect Nathan Gaucher these days. The young forward participating in his first real professional training camp. The Sun spoke with father and son in the last days.

Brief flashback: during the 1992-93 campaign, Yannick Gaucher took his first steps with the Collège-Français de Verdun in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. It was his Draft year in the National Hockey League and despite injuries, some professional teams are watching closely the young center born in Saint-Hyacinthe.

The Anaheim Mighty Ducks is one of these teams. They had just snatched Alain Chainey from the Victoriaville Tigres by hiring him as a scout in Quebec, Ontario and New England.

Gaucher will ultimately not participate in the Mighty Ducks camp, an episode in his career that the father tends to minimize nearly 30 years later. “It was not the big story, the time was quite different, let’s say, he recalls. The discussions had passed through my coach at the time, but in the end I had not been invited. It just came close.”

Nevertheless, his son Nathan has never forgotten what has become a family anecdote. “My dad told me that once when I was young, but I always remembered it,” he smiles.

The latter took the liberty of teasing the members of the club's senior management about it during a meeting with Ducks scout Stéphane Pilotte before the NHL draft, unaware that Anaheim would make him a first round pick some time later. “He [Stéphane Pilotte] was not aware of the story, but I found it very funny! Nathan recalls. To be able to go to a training camp when my father could not experience that, we talked about it. He's happy for me and I'm happy for him."

Happy for his father because Yannick Gaucher was named general manager of the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies in early August, a month after his son was selected in the first round in the NHL. A documentary produced by the QMJHL during the event also showed the father very emotional behind the scenes.

Gaucher was moved to see his father crying with joy. "It shows the emotions of a father and it didn't bother him that much. It was like the first time I saw him so proud of me. It gave me goosebumps. »

A busy summer

In mid-August, it was his turn to experience a moment of very high intensity by winning gold with the Canadian team at the World Juniors, not to mention the unforgettable days of the NHL draft, a development camp in Anaheim and the Remparts camp in Quebec. Big, big summer.

Here he is again in California, where a rookie tournament is held all weekend in San Jose, in which the Ducks, Arizona Coyotes, Colorado Avalanche, Los Angeles Kings, Vegas Golden Knights and San Jose Sharks participate.

Very busy this summer, his body did not have time to cool down. He may see it as a certain advantage over the other teams' prospects. "It's a lot of emotions [all that he has experienced], but I think it can be an advantage, he reflects. I played a lot of games. Training is good, but there's nothing like a game."

Tuesday, Gaucher left Quebec with a light heart, wanting only to leave a good impression with his new organization. "I don't feel like I have anything to prove, I'm going there to show what I'm capable of and make my mark," he says. If they need me, I'm going to be really happy [to stay in the NHL], otherwise I'm going to come back here with the Remparts and I won't be disappointed."

In Quebec, the players of the Remparts recognize the immense value of the big number 91, an ace on the penalty kills. His leadership is felt everywhere around the team which hopes for his return. "He's a leader on the ice, a great competitor, insists goaltender William Rousseau. He is able to motivate the guys in the locker room and from a physical point of view, when he plays on the edge, he is a really solid guy."

Everything has been going great for Nathan Gaucher. As Fall rolls around in his home province, the 18-year-old is taking a break from the cold weather in California.

"It's warm there, so it's fun!" he concludes with a broad smile.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00