Prospect Info: With the 22nd overall pick in the 2022 draft, the Ducks select Nathan Gaucher

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Just was thinking – is he better than BO Groulx at the time?
I think Gaucher is prob more enticing with upside.

Seemeds like a safe pick, but a player our scouts/PV really prob liked.

I get the feeling PV didnt see any sure thing "top 6" players at 22, so he went with a player that will likely be a good 3rd line player, that has some skills that could make him complimentary 2nd line player. Rather than waste the pick on a boom/bust type player he went for a high ceiling energy guy, that will more than likely be on our next playoff roster.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
It's interesting, Gaucher is a late birthday so in terms of impact in the Q they're similar players at this stage if we compare Gaucher to Groulx's D+1 season. But Gaucher is a much stronger skater and bigger, so I think in terms of projection he's a better prospect. Groulx is a better passer and shooter, but had to put in a ton of work to get his skating to an NHL level. I think of Groulx as having bottom 6 upside and Gaucher having middle 6 upside in the NHL.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
It's interesting, Gaucher is a late birthday so in terms of impact in the Q they're similar players at this stage if we compare Gaucher to Groulx's D+1 season. But Gaucher is a much stronger skater and bigger, so I think in terms of projection he's a better prospect. Groulx is a better passer and shooter, but had to put in a ton of work to get his skating to an NHL level. I think of Groulx as having bottom 6 upside and Gaucher having middle 6 upside in the NHL.

That’s a good observation.

I like the term ‘middle-six’ player better since ‘third-liner’ makes it seem like players don’t have elite abilities to play up in the lineup.

Ive seen some comparisons around here. Maybe he won’t become a Kesler or a prime Backes, but if he gets to something close to that I’ll be happy

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Skating/agility not looking so hot in this clip... I honestly think I could do that drill cleaner but I'm also coaching all day with this stuff lol He does get power off his crossovers I'm assuming he's a really good north/south skater but needs to improve his east/west.... Similar to my concerns I brought up with Guhle right when we traded for him. (I know different positions but yeah)

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think Gaucher is prob more enticing with upside.

Seemeds like a safe pick, but a player our scouts/PV really prob liked.

I get the feeling PV didnt see any sure thing "top 6" players at 22, so he went with a player that will likely be a good 3rd line player, that has some skills that could make him complimentary 2nd line player. Rather than waste the pick on a boom/bust type player he went for a high ceiling energy guy, that will more than likely be on our next playoff roster.
I agree. I think it also gives us more size and "tough to play against" so we have more room to go after higher upside/skill guys next year in the draft and free agency. With Zegras/Drysdale/Zell/Terry we were just getting too small.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Watching some footage, I think there is a bit of Nick Paul in him, he could be one of those players that keeps improving well past ~24, maybe it’s mental gymnastics but I’m starting to see some upside here.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Watching some footage, I think there is a bit of Nick Paul in him, he could be one of those players that keeps improving well past ~24, maybe it’s mental gymnastics but I’m starting to see some upside here.
I personally would like more upside with a first round pick... especially with the agility and skating clip above... maybe he was sore that day. I hope he turns into a top 6 winger that plays Josh Anderson style. We'll see.

Reactions: GunnarStahl

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I think Gaucher is faster straight-line skating and possesses a more physical game than Groulx at their draft time. Both are shutdown centers who have similar offensive productions in their draft year.

Here's FC Hockey's description of his Gauther's skating:

SKATING

I would describe Gaucher as a big man who skates like a big man. Defensively, he uses his skating in combination with his size and reach to be able to get his stick into an opponent’s space to make up for a lack of two-step quickness. Although he’s sturdy on his feet and can physically deal with pressure, Gaucher can also show some agility at times with quick stops and impressive directional changes.​
His turn radius may be a bit too large and resembles a battleship performing maneuvers, but where Gaucher does excel is in straight-line skating over longer distances where he can use his powerful stride and show the kind of top-end speed that enables him to create separation on the attack.​

The skating is the reason why Gaucher won't be a top-9 center for us with Zegras, McTavish, and Lundy. As a winger who likes to be physical, go to the net, and cycle, then you might have something. Gaucher could play all three aspect of the game (ES, PK, and PP), including the PP b/c he can park it in front of the net. I think Gaucher has more upside when he converts to wing. Maybe like a Max Jones with better offense?

As for a 4C, we have Groulx and Lopina ahead in their development than Gaucher. Still, it's nice knowing we do have another center in our system who could be a middle-6 center.

Reactions: Kalv

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Given that they had a jersey with his name on it at the draft certainly implies that they didn't "settle" for him...he was a prime target at 22.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I still think he can turn into a "3rd wheel" on a higher line. Hopefully he can play the Kunitz roll (though probably won't be as good). If he isn't a black hole on offense, can throw the body, retrieve pucks, and play defense, he could be useful on one of the top 2 lines. Another top 10 pick next year and one of Comtois/Perreault/Tracy becoming a good top 6 player should give us good fire power up front in the top 6.

Reactions: GunnarStahl and bsu

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I still think he can turn into a "3rd wheel" on a higher line. Hopefully he can play the Kunitz roll (though probably won't be as good). If he isn't a black hole on offense, can throw the body, retrieve pucks, and play defense, he could be useful on one of the top 2 lines. Another top 10 pick next year and one of Comtois/Perreault/Tracy becoming a good top 6 player should give us good fire power up front in the top 6.
So could a higher upside player... :rolly:😶‍🌫️

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Given that they had a jersey with his name on it at the draft certainly implies that they didn't "settle" for him...he was a prime target at 22.

I'm pretty sure the names are velcro (or removable in some way) and they just slap them on the team's jersey when drafted.

I agree with BSU on this one. I'd prefer they take a high risk/high reward player with this type of pick. The irony is the ducks second round picks very likely have a higher ceiling.

Reactions: bsu

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I still think he can turn into a "3rd wheel" on a higher line. Hopefully he can play the Kunitz roll (though probably won't be as good). If he isn't a black hole on offense, can throw the body, retrieve pucks, and play defense, he could be useful on one of the top 2 lines.

So could a higher upside player... :rolly:😶‍🌫️

I was disappointed that we didn't try to draft a player with more upside like Snuggerud, Kulich, Lambert, or Howard. Those prospects are boom or bust types.

Gaucher has a projectable floor of being a bottom-6 NHL forward.

Many on here have pointed out that 2015-17 drafts hasn't been fruitful. Some don't think much of Tracey, a 2019 late first rounder. With Verbeek grabbing a safe, projectable NHLer, Gaucher carries more value to Verbeek in constructing the future roster to have depth. While I don't agree with the decision, I can understand it as it does make sense of acquiring more of a sure thing from a new, first time GM.

If Gaucher can slide to wing, then maybe he can play the role that some posters on here want McTavish to play - a big, brusing PF with some scoring touch at the front of the net. Gaucher doesn't have to play it too safe as a winger, where he can create controlled chaos. Since he's our draft pick, I'll try to find some sliver of higher potential like @lwv84 .

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'm pretty sure the names are velcro (or removable in some way) and they just slap them on the team's jersey when drafted.

I agree with BSU on this one. I'd prefer they take a high risk/high reward player with this type of pick. The irony is the ducks second round picks very likely have a higher ceiling.
They kind of did the same thing in 2019. They took the safer guy in Tracey in the late first and then swung for the fences with LaCombe in the 2nd round. Last year they swung for the fences in the 2nd with Zellweger. It could be a coincidence or there could be something to that

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
I personally would like more upside with a first round pick... especially with the agility and skating clip above... maybe he was sore that day. I hope he turns into a top 6 winger that plays Josh Anderson style. We'll see.
This supposedly wasn't considered a strong draft and maybe that's a factor, I remember the Logan McMillan pick and similar rhetoric how he is a "surefire NHL'er" and "safe pick with limited upside" and he absolutely sucked but it seems like he had some off ice problems so when I hear things like "safe pick" I will always remember that

but if the Q scouts pounded the table for him that is something that Verbeek is gonna remember, good or bad

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This supposedly this wasn't considered a strong draft and maybe that's a factor, I remember the Logan McMillan pick and similar rhetoric how he is a "surefire NHL'er" and "safe pick with limited upside" and he absolutely sucked but it seems like he had some off ice problems so when I hear things like "safe pick" I will always remember that

but if the Q scouts pounded the table for him that is something that Verbeek is gonna remember, good or bad
MacMillan is the reason I've always been worried about them drafting safe picks in the top #10. MacMillan PTSD you could call it. Then there is Peter Holland who was better because at least he came an AHL star.

At least Nick Ritchie carved out a career as a bottom 6 guy and has finally found a good spot with Arizona where there is zero expectation and pressure.

Safe picks like MacMillan, Holland and Ritchie are why I am glad the Ducks didn't draft Geekie. Don't know what Arizona was thinking at #11 but they are the same team that said Soderstrom is #3 on their list in 2019 ahead of Seider and Zegras.

Reactions: Kalv

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

I watched both the Mintyukov and Gaucher picks very closely and it sure looked to me like the names on their jerseys were embroidered on and not velcro.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
They kind of did the same thing in 2019. They took the safer guy in Tracey in the late first and then swung for the fences with LaCombe in the 2nd round. Last year they swung for the fences in the 2nd with Zellweger. It could be a coincidence or there could be something to that

I thought he was considered a risk? Late riser and clear project doesn't scream safe to me.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I was disappointed that we didn't try to draft a player with more upside like Snuggerud, Kulich, Lambert, or Howard. Those prospects are boom or bust types.

Gaucher has a projectable floor of being a bottom-6 NHL forward.

Many on here have pointed out that 2015-17 drafts hasn't been fruitful. Some don't think much of Tracey, a 2019 late first rounder. With Verbeek grabbing a safe, projectable NHLer, Gaucher carries more value to Verbeek in constructing the future roster to have depth. While I don't agree with the decision, I can understand it as it does make sense of acquiring more of a sure thing from a new, first time GM.

If Gaucher can slide to wing, then maybe he can play the role that some posters on here want McTavish to play - a big, brusing PF with some scoring touch at the front of the net. Gaucher doesn't have to play it too safe as a winger, where he can create controlled chaos. Since he's our draft pick, I'll try to find some sliver of higher potential like @lwv84 .
I think maybe Kulik is the guy we may end up wishing we got. He's turning heads in the Sabre's development camp. We likely end up viewing Gaucher as Peter Holland

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad