With the 1st overall pick... (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
For entertainment purposes and all the smoke and mirrors, if today was opposite day...

1) We don't have a lot of good young defenseman
2) We'll pick based on need and then choose best player available
3) The best free agents are offenseman
4) Ekblad is the only NHL-ready prospect in the first round

Closer or further from the truth?

Honestly you've confused me here with "opposite day"...

We definitely don't have a lot of good young defensemen. It's a weakness, we have Matheson and then a bunch of average prospects.

Hard to say whether or not picking Ekblad is picking on need though. Popular scouting opinion seems to point towards Ekblad as the #1.

But I mean the better free agents are definitely offensive...

And I'm not sure *any* of the players in this draft are exactly NHL ready. I think you see Ekblad just because juniors definitely wont benefit him.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Want to chime in as an Oilers fan. Congrats guys on winning the lottery. Poetic justice.

There are many in Oiler-land that would be quite happy taking Draisaitle with the pick. It's also speculated that at 3 if Draisaitle and Ekblad are available, they might draft Draisaitle anyway. Just some food for thought. They are horrendously thin down the middle.

You guys seem to be concentrating on the top 3. It's really a top 4.
I for one would be happy taking Draisaitle at 1 overall.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Honestly you've confused me here with "opposite day"...

We definitely don't have a lot of good young defensemen. It's a weakness, we have Matheson and then a bunch of average prospects.

Hard to say whether or not picking Ekblad is picking on need though. Popular scouting opinion seems to point towards Ekblad as the #1.

But I mean the better free agents are definitely offensive...

And I'm not sure *any* of the players in this draft are exactly NHL ready. I think you see Ekblad just because juniors definitely wont benefit him.

Exactly. He took all of the tweets by Harvey on the previous page and made them opposite just for fun to prove that we may be picking Ekblad.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Want to chime in as an Oilers fan. Congrats guys on winning the lottery. Poetic justice.

There are many in Oiler-land that would be quite happy taking Draisaitle with the pick. It's also speculated that at 3 if Draisaitle and Ekblad are available, they might draft Draisaitle anyway. Just some food for thought. They are horrendously thin down the middle.

You guys seem to be concentrating on the top 3. It's really a top 4.
I for one would be happy taking Draisaitle at 1 overall.

A lot of people here aren't high on drafting Draisaitl, I guess because he's similar to Barkov, just a lesser version. But he's definitely one of my favs. He has the potential to be an electryfying talent, although that would be if he hit his ceiling. But he's still likely to be a 60-70 pt. guy.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
A lot of people here aren't high on drafting Draisaitl, I guess because he's similar to Barkov, just a lesser version. But he's definitely one of my favs. He has the potential to be an electryfying talent, although that would be if he hit his ceiling. But he's still likely to be a 60-70 pt. guy.

I'd personally take Dal Colle over Draisatl. Kids got a laser for a shot and is really dynamic.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'd personally take Dal Colle over Draisatl. Kids got a laser for a shot and is really dynamic.

You can't go wrong either way. IMO Draisaitl just has slightly higher offensive potential, is bigger, more powerful, better hands, longer reach. Dal Colle though is smarter, faster, and has a better shot. They're basically a wash. They're both going to be really good forwards.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
You can't go wrong either way. IMO Draisaitl just has slightly higher offensive potential, is bigger, more powerful, better hands, longer reach. Dal Colle though is smarter, faster, and has a better shot. They're basically a wash. They're both going to be really good forwards.

Yes, this is true

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I don´t know why but through this whole process with all the comments made by Dale Tallon the ones that stuck with me the most were about Sam Reinhart, I don´t know if that will be the best pick of the draft but if we keep the #1 I expect Sam to be the choice.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
i see a lot of talk on how the future d-lines will turn out with our current prospects and if we draft ekblad. i think it could look a little something like this;

Matheson - Ekblad
Weegar - Guddy
McCoshen - Petrovic
Olsen

Kulikov got traded for some fire on the wing ;)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I don´t know why but through this whole process with all the comments made by Dale Tallon the ones that stuck with me the most were about Sam Reinhart, I don´t know if that will be the best pick of the draft but if we keep the #1 I expect Sam to be the choice.

What did he say about Reinhart?

FlaPanthers7

May 31, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
no issue if we take reinhart and let the players earn their play....

That's quite a list of scorers that Reinhart is among - gotta make you wonder if he isn't the right pick and let FA shore up the defense. Ugh, it's such a tough choice this year - why couldn't we have just won last year darnit??? :shakehead

Killerinstinct

Dec 19, 2012
I don´t like idea of picking d-man with first pick. It´s easier to find solid d-man than good forward or center.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Who was the last free agent stud defenseman that the Panthers signed? Additionally, the free agent defense market is awful.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

I think he means solid as in serviceable, just like when we signed Jason Garrison straight out of college as a undrafted free agent. He arguably outplayed all of our so-called "stud" d-men we've recently selected in the first round (Ellerby, Kulikov, Gudbranson) and second round (Bengtsson, Petrovic, Robak).

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Who was the last free agent stud defenseman that the Panthers signed? Additionally, the free agent defense market is awful.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

Who is the last free agent stud forward that the Panthers signed? Who is the last stud forward the Panthers acquired outside of the draft?

Also, I don't think the free agent defensemen pool is that bad. Heck, it's probably better for Florida than the forward pool of UFA. Most of the top forward have essentially made their choice as to where they are going and it's not Florida, leaving us with, at best, Moulson or an old Vrbata.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Who is the last free agent stud forward that the Panthers signed? Who is the last stud forward the Panthers acquired outside of the draft?

Also, I don't think the free agent defensemen pool is that bad. Heck, it's probably better for Florida than the forward pool of UFA. Most of the top forward have essentially made their choice as to where they are going and it's not Florida, leaving us with, at best, Moulson or an old Vrbata.

money isn't always the problem when people discuss this

florida havent had a really good core until now, and that attracts elite free agents

who would waste their prime in florida, banking up money and losing hockey games? players chase the cup, they want to win

could florida have given that? no

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I think he means solid as in serviceable, just like when we signed Jason Garrison straight out of college as a undrafted free agent. He arguably outplayed all of our so-called "stud" d-men we've recently selected in the first round (Ellerby, Kulikov, Gudbranson) and second round (Bengtsson, Petrovic, Robak).

Who is even out there that could help this team a lot on the blue line? It's that bad out there. Markov? His agent probably wants multiyear offers, I don't want that term with his injury history and age.

Not disagreeing with your point about forwards, we need both, I think you just have to shore up the blue line with Ekblad, bank on Huby being healthy, Flash rebounding, and Barkov continuing where he left off, with Lu standing on his head, unless Tallon pulls off trades. I do disagree with the defense market not being that bad. Keep in mind Niskanen and nikitin will likely resign with Pit and CBJ, and Pitkanen has a career ending injury. We'll probably land a Hemsky or Michalek type player, maybe Mitchell or Stoner, but it's a weak market. That's why I don't get the hype on spending to the cap through free agency, who's there to spend it on?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
If DT decideds to go for either of the Sams I would think it's Bennett. His style of play would convert to wing much better with his speed and grit, I doubt Reinhart will ever play wing. And this team needs wingers a lot more than another potential top6 playmaker who plays center.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Who is even out there that could help this team a lot on the blue line? It's that bad out there. Markov? His agent probably wants multiyear offers, I don't want that term with his injury history and age.

Not disagreeing with your point about forwards, we need both, I think you just have to shore up the blue line with Ekblad, bank on Huby being healthy, Flash rebounding, and Barkov continuing where he left off, with Lu standing on his head, unless Tallon pulls off trades. I do disagree with the defense market not being that bad. Keep in mind Niskanen and nikitin will likely resign with Pit and CBJ, and Pitkanen has a career ending injury. We'll probably land a Hemsky or Michalek type player, maybe Mitchell or Stoner, but it's a weak market. That's why I don't get the hype on spending to the cap through free agency, who's there to spend it on?
Don't know, but I hope you're not suggesting the answer is Ekblad.

Jan 19, 2006
If DT decideds to go for either of the Sams I would think it's Bennett. His style of play would convert to wing much better with his speed and grit, I doubt Reinhart will ever play wing. And this team needs wingers a lot more than another potential top6 playmaker who plays center.

No way.

If Panthers pick Bennett, NHL will remove shootout after tied games and replace with pull-up contest. :help:

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Interesting graph from the article on Reinhardt I posted above

http://thenationnetwork.s3.amazonaw...icle_3bedd242-c296-42a9-ac69-56db1274e2f0.png

"That table shows every forward drafted in the 1st round since 2003 that scored over a point per game in their 17-year old season (a.k.a. their first draft-eligible season), ranked by points per game. Also included are guys who may be taken in the 1st round this season, highlighted in red."

However, this comment by user "andyg" shows Ehlers as being possibly the best offensive force in this draft.

"For all you stat people. Is there a way to break down Ehlers numbers for the second half versus the first.
I no it took him a while to get adjusted to the style over here. For the first 20 games he averaged 1.15 points. The last 43 he was 1.883 per game."

The graph shows Ehlers' 1.883pts/gp is above Taylor Hall, John Tavares, Sam Reinhart, Steven Stamkos, and Nathan MacKinnon. For what it's worth, MacKinnon only played 44 games in his 17 year old season and avg 1.705 ppg playing with Drouin.

I think it's gonna be really difficult for Tallon to pass on a winger who's the fastest skater from the draft if he's also putting up numbers like that. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad