Prospect Info: With the 157th Overall Pick the Rangers Select Dominik Lakatos

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Avery was gross but didn't play dirty. What did he do that was dirty?

Tik, like Mess and other players of his era, did stuff that would probably get you labeled as dirty nowadays.

Well, yes, he was gross and maybe that's coloring my perception to some extent.

But in terms of being dirty, Mess - and in particular, Tikk - would do the little things that didn't exactly cross the line. Yapping, butt end jabs, subtle elbows, love taps with the stick, etc. Irritating, sometimes painful, but not downright dangerous. (Though I do have to admit I can remember one or two times when Mess went farther than that and I wasn't cool with it.)

Avery was a cheap shot artist. I remember multiple dangerous hits, and very specific incidents of at least two two-handed slashes to the backs of the ankles of players not looking at him as well as another where he sucker punched a player. If he had kept it to yapping at Lemieux, waving his stick in front of Mary, and bopping Tim Thomas in the back of the head, I wouldn't have minded him as much. (Although I still wouldn't have liked him for being a ******, I admit.)

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Honestly I don't care if we have a very effective dirty player

The league doesn't care about player safety so why should we?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Messier could be very dirty. Players could get away with a lot more stuff in the 90's than they can today. The stuff that Scott Stevens pulled for instance---players use to target heads and knees all the time.

In one game against the Stars at MSG Messier concussed Mike Modano pretty much with the same hit that Matt Cooke used to end Marc Savard's career. Blindside hit to the head from a lateral and behind direction that Modano never saw and he was out cold--like he was sleeping. I never have seen Avery do anything like that and Messier did that with malice aforethought. The Stars goons were targeting Leetch that night and that was the message they got back. Modano got another message when the EMT's dropped him off the stretcher as they were shoving him in the back of ambulance. All of that was caught on live TV.

There was a Felsner (Brian? Danny?--whichever one was playing for the Canucks) who ended up needing to have his spleen removed after he was speared by Mark. Mark was liberal with his stick work.

These are just a couple incidents off the top of my head and the NHL then as now plays favorites with its elite players. The NHL has always been very reluctant to hammer them with suspensions.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
It's nice that he hits the front of the net so hard. We don't have a whole lot of guys doing that.

The temper seems to be something to work on, but if he can rein that in to more of an agitator role, this is a pretty good 6th round pick.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I loved both Tikkanen and Avery. Not sure though that Lakatos is quite the skater that those two were--maybe a cross between Tikkanen and a smaller Holmstrom. Going to the net hard is a very good thing. Stirring the pot can be a very good thing too. If you know that you can't beat goalies with your shot from 30' and on out then there's really only one thing to do if you want to score goals and that's go to the net and do it a lot. Lakatos has quick hands in close. Some nice finishing there.

What I am worried here is his body constitution. It seems to me more like Sobotka's, definetely not a Hertl type. I couldnt imagine him playing in NHL 16 years ago, he would be smashed imo.

Will he be first gypsy in NHL if he makes team? Thats not meant to offend anybody:)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What I am worried here is his body constitution. It seems to me more like Sobotka's, definetely not a Hertl type. I couldnt imagine him playing in NHL 16 years ago, he would be smashed imo.

Will he be first gypsy in NHL if he makes team? Thats not meant to offend anybody:)

I think Semenko was a gypsy

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Again, took an overager instead of quality young guys that could have higher ceilings.

can't buy this thinking
after each year a guy's ceiling becomes clearer
at 18, you can project all-star potential or 600 game careers for almost all of them

this kind of pick is disliked because it undermines the too-many-hours dedicated each year to sorting out the first-year-eligibles

sometimes the analysis and observation determines that a non standard pick is indeed BPA for your team

NYR picked a college kid and a 17 year old,
but sometimes the best choice is not a player you have to wait a few years for

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
can't buy this thinking
after each year a guy's ceiling becomes clearer
at 18, you can project all-star potential or 600 game careers for almost all of them

this kind of pick is disliked because it undermines the too-many-hours dedicated each year to sorting out the first-year-eligibles

sometimes the analysis and observation determines that a non standard pick is indeed BPA for your team

NYR picked a college kid and a 17 year old,
but sometimes the best choice is not a player you have to wait a few years for

I question whether 'he can be nhl ready really soon' type of picks over a 'wait and see' 17 or 18yr old. Is it about talent, or is it about NHL readiness?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I question whether 'he can be nhl ready really soon' type of picks over a 'wait and see' 17 or 18yr old. Is it about talent, or is it about NHL readiness?

we've learned the hard way that its risky if its ONLY about talent: Brendl? Grachev? Sanguinetti?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Messier could be very dirty. Players could get away with a lot more stuff in the 90's than they can today. The stuff that Scott Stevens pulled for instance---players use to target heads and knees all the time.

In one game against the Stars at MSG Messier concussed Mike Modano pretty much with the same hit that Matt Cooke used to end Marc Savard's career. Blindside hit to the head from a lateral and behind direction that Modano never saw and he was out cold--like he was sleeping. I never have seen Avery do anything like that and Messier did that with malice aforethought. The Stars goons were targeting Leetch that night and that was the message they got back. Modano got another message when the EMT's dropped him off the stretcher as they were shoving him in the back of ambulance. All of that was caught on live TV.

There was a Felsner (Brian? Danny?--whichever one was playing for the Canucks) who ended up needing to have his spleen removed after he was speared by Mark. Mark was liberal with his stick work.

These are just a couple incidents off the top of my head and the NHL then as now plays favorites with its elite players. The NHL has always been very reluctant to hammer them with suspensions.

I'm definitely guilty of having loved the violence back then. I'm glad standards are changing. It will be a better league in five years once the intentional dangerous (chippy is fine) play is gone. Still a few creeps remaining who need to go.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
In the sixth round, there is a great possibility that there is no difference between picking an overager or a younger guy.

Literally 0 problems with this pick.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm happy with the Lakatos-pick because you get a closer-to-finished product rather than an 18-year old who needs more time and still plays junior hockey.

Lakatos already plays against grownups. He isn't setting the world on fire with his play, but a 20-year old who has a .62 PPG average in the post-season of a professional league is definitely worth a 6th round pick. There is so much more than just the numbers, but eve if you go by that, you have a pretty good idea what he will become.

I think some people are severely overestimating the value of the CHL

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
Is he pure winger or does he play also as a center? Eliteprospects list him as a C and LW.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Lakatos is staying another year in Liberec, it is his wish, wants to work on his game, wants to get to the national team. Six teams were interested in him before the draft. Prominently Rangers and Predators. Rangers scouts know him very well, they really like him.

http://www.hokej.cz/odmena-pro-lakatose-po-draftu-poznal-new-york-rok-bude-doma/5023986

Great foreign language find as always, 37. Much appreciated! You must consider this a big off-season for yourself as a Rangers fan. We went from ZERO Czechs in the organization...to THREE. Pretty cool.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
Great foreign language find as always, 37. Much appreciated! You must consider this a big off-season for yourself as a Rangers fan. We went from ZERO Czechs in the organization...to THREE. Pretty cool.

Yeah, I am very happy with this off-season. Great roster moves and this is really nice bonus.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Never signed. Nine goals in 15 games to start the Czech Extraliga season.
Yeah, he was a marginal, older prospect when drafted. He made no progress in the two subsequent seasons and had disciplinary/attitude issues that saw him demoted to the second division on two occasions. Even his performance last season of 27 points in 52 games was only on par with with his draft year (16-17) when he had 22 in 41.

I'm glad he's doing well in the Czech League. Top to bottom, that league is sub-AHL quality, though, so no reason to rue the decision to move on.

Reactions: kovazub94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad