Prospect Info: With the 145th Overall Pick the Rangers Select Calle Sjalin

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Glad to see he's healthy and playing well. Don't see him getting a contract. He's a good but not great SHL defender who really isn't special in any area. If he were signed, I would have a hard time seeing him break out of the AHL.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
seems his rights likely to expire (in June'21) without signing w NYR:

"It feels good to stay at least two more seasons in Leksands IF. That was what I wanted for this season, so it's fun that it turned out that way in the end. It feels like we have something very good going on here, and I want to continue to be a part of it. It will be exciting to see where the future takes us."

Själin förlänger
Leksands IF has agreed with defender Calle Själin on a new two-year contract. This means that the new contract extends over the 2022/2023 season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

"It feels good to stay at least two more seasons in Leksands IF. That was what I wanted for this season, so it's fun that it turned out that way in the end. It feels like we have something very good going on here, and I want to continue to be a part of it. It will be exciting to see where the future takes us."

Själin förlänger
Leksands IF has agreed with defender Calle Själin on a new two-year contract. This means that the new contract extends over the 2022/2023 season.
Yeah. I'd say that basically closes the door. Particularly as he says "at least two" additional seasons, implying he's optimistic he can play there longer. I'm glad for him that he's carving out what looks like it will be a nice career for him in Sweden.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Själin förlänger

That sucks I heard he was really dictating play out there. This Marx another pick wasted.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That sucks I heard he was really dictating play out there. This Marx another pick wasted.
For a fifth round pick, though, it's basically the expected outcome. I mean they could theoretically sign him and he'd likely come over and become a decent AHL player, but it doesn't sound like the player himself is interested in that. It's basically make 70K max in a foreign country for the next couple years or make that at home with less travel. I don't blame him if he's choosing to pursue an SHL career over a likely minor league career in the US.

I remember Thomas Spelling basically thumbing his nose at the idea of coming over and deciding he'd rather be a star in lovely Denmark. Similar things, I think.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
For a fifth round pick, though, it's basically the expected outcome. I mean they could theoretically sign him and he'd likely come over and become a decent AHL player, but it doesn't sound like the player himself is interested in that. It's basically make 70K max in a foreign country for the next couple years or make that at home with less travel. I don't blame him if he's choosing to pursue an SHL career over a likely minor league career in the US.

I remember Thomas Spelling basically thumbing his nose at the idea of coming over and deciding he'd rather be a star in lovely Denmark. Similar things, I think.

Haha, I was making Stalin puns. Sjalin is a top 2 name in our prospect pool after Hunter Skinner.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Also, 70k in Hartford doesn't buy you as much as 70k in Leksand. Cost of living etc. sure plays a role in that as well.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Plus . . . well . . . it's Hartford. The city known as being a slightly higher quality version of Cleveland.

And Själin has been to NY a few times for prospect camp so he has some expectation of what life is like in the region. If he's happy in Leksand, with the role he has, it makes sense for him to stay there.

SHL salaries start around €80,000 which is ~$90,000 and it's tax free.

Reactions: Cmox and CasusBelli

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Appears he was not offered a contract by the deadline. He had signed a two-year extension with his SHL club so that was sort of expected. Anyway, he becomes UFA for NHL purposes.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad