Prospect Info: With the 145th Overall Pick the Rangers Select Calle Sjalin

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was looking for info on him, and didn't find much, so I'm gonna post what a member of this section wrote about him in his Prospects Board thread.

He's good, was better at the five nations in February then he was at the U18 WJC, really solid defensively. Carried Westerlund in February imo. Good skater, good size, i question the offensive upside though but he's not a pylon, can get the puck out of the zone pretty good.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Could play for HFD this season...

He is from the same Swedish small town team as Ulfie Dahlen and Alexander Edler.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Could play for HFD this season...

He is from the same Swedish small town team as Ulfie Dahlen and Alexander Edler.

He's contracted to Leksands. I think he's probably at least a year or two away from pro hockey in NA. Two pro games in his career, late birthday, not a high pick.

I'd think of this as similar in timeline to the Kovacs pick after being drafted, but add a year since he is born at a time in September where he's eligible for the earlier draft, and not the later, which is what Kovacs was eligible for. Two years with Leksand, and then I'd think he goes to Hartford. Or if he does better than his draft position would indicate, maybe he goes to the NHL team after that.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Pavel- Just saying, he must be close to be able to break some kind of record if he went to HFD, would be like 18 years and 20 days or something.

Should definitely not go to the AHL yet.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Drafting Andersson, Chytil, Reedy and Sjalin would have earned an A grade from me. Alas, it was not meant to be (even though it was in laps)

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I like this pick a lot, had him as one of my late round targets since February when i saw him live.

He's a steady two-way D-man with nice hands and solid size. He's not a blazing skater or anything but he moves well and reads the game really well.

He really covered for Filip Westerlund this spring season in the U18 National team, bailed him out a lot.

We finally picked somebody Tobbe wanted :laugh:

And this! YAY!!!

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Sounds like a good pick, but I'm a little concerned, about the fact that it seems like he missed the entire 15/16 season, because of a back problem. Hope it isn't anything too serious and won't have an impact later on in his career!

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
"fallen off the rader" somewhat, already likely 6 of the other 9 LHD in pipeline are ahead of him in current rankings
(Miller, Roberston, Jones, Reunanen, Hajek, ... Rykov ) (... Ragnarsson, Kjellberg, Crawley)

NYR exclusive draft rights expire in June, per Cap Friendly
[Note: an older brother was drafted, by Wild, who let those tights expire...]

I like this pick a lot, had him as one of my late round targets since February when i saw him live.
He's a steady two-way D-man with nice hands and solid size. He's not a blazing skater or anything but he moves well and reads the game really well.
He really covered for Filip Westerlund this spring season in the U18 National team, bailed him out a lot.

Good late pick, overall a good two way dman whos best asset is his decision making, reads the play very well.

Last edited:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He’s had a lot of injury problems since the draft, including a couple concussions. If he stays healthy this season and builds on his start then NYR will have a tough choice to make. As of right now his rights Will likely be released

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad