Why isn’t icing enforced to the inch like offside.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
They really do need to tighten up icing, there is so many instances where a guy is 2ft behind the line and its fine that time.. but then next game the guy is 1.5ft behind the line and that's icing.

Nevermind the fact linesmen never blow it down exactly when the player is at the hashmarks per the rules. Some time its top of the circle, sometimes its when they are almost at the icing line.. its all over the map.

Linesmen really need to get on the same playing field and have some consistency.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Game flow and pedantry

No need to scrutizine inches or even a foot on a dump in from halfrink. If it's close enough they give you the benefit. Inches on a zone entry with possession obviously matter a lot more.

The bigger thing with icing that pisses me off is when the chasing team lollygags back for it and stops skating while pretending to. More icings should be negated if you aren't truly skating for the puck imo.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Guy dumps the puck in from two feet behind the red line. No ice. Close enough. Not even controversial.

Given how fast the game is now, could you argue that a missed icing call is as material as a missed offside call?
Ive seen this happen so many times and it makes me laugh every time, its a joke really in the NHL.
At least here in Finland its accurate. (whistled accurately)

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
If you’re over 30, or are on a first name basis with a few of the refs, your chances of getting a few extra inches of lenience on icings go up.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
to keep the game going. if the refs are consistent with both teams i have no problem with it.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The better question is when are they going to lighten the hell up with offsides, abolish reviews, and prioritize game flow with offsides the way they do with icing (rules which are really all about preventing end-boards injuries anyway)?

Getting it more or less right is good enough. The game is better for constant action instead of stopping, starting, and interminable reviews. They strike the right balance with icing. Praying at the altar of absolutely and positively getting it right, damn the consequences, is off the rails right now.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Personally, is one I don’t care about and would be annoyed to see them turn into a whole thing.

Reactions: Guttersniped

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Agreed. it should be enforced. It's pretty silly watching players dump in the puck 5 feet behind the red line. At that point, just remove the icing rule if it doesn't matter.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
This one is actually arguably more important, because you have the opponent trying to cut off the dump in- tough to do when the line to gain is undefined.

Players are basically lining up to smash their opponents at the 50 yard line, and the opponents are currently allowed to wuss punt it from 55 yards. Make ‘em definitively gain that line and the game changes significantly, imo.

Reactions: HabsQC

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
The better question is when are they going to lighten the hell up with offsides, abolish reviews, and prioritize game flow with offsides the way they do with icing (rules which are really all about preventing end-boards injuries anyway)?

Getting it more or less right is good enough. The game is better for constant action instead of stopping, starting, and interminable reviews. They strike the right balance with icing. Praying at the altar of absolutely and positively getting it right, damn the consequences, is off the rails right now.
I’m sure that you’d feel that “more or less right is good enough” if a blatantly obvious offside game winning goal in game 7 of the SCF was allowed against your favorite team.

Hey, at least they didn’t stop the game though, right?

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Why can't guys just cross the line? Fastest most skilled players in the world and they keep cheating even without imminent pressure. Just lazy play and I agree the NHL should move to a 'zero' tolerance approach. Maybe even a rare 'delay of game' penalty if it's egregious enough (I've seen a few).

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
If you’re over 30, or are on a first name basis with a few of the refs, your chances of getting a few extra inches of lenience on icings go up.

I wonder if there's actual data on this, not just people's personal observations. It would be interesting to read, at least.

If you bring back touch icing at this juncture I’m pretty sure players would die

Joni Pitkänen's silky smooth skating ghost would hopefully haunt the ones responsible.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
They really do need to tighten up icing, there is so many instances where a guy is 2ft behind the line and its fine that time.. but then next game the guy is 1.5ft behind the line and that's icing.

Nevermind the fact linesmen never blow it down exactly when the player is at the hashmarks per the rules. Some time its top of the circle, sometimes its when they are almost at the icing line.. its all over the map.

Linesmen really need to get on the same playing field and have some consistency.
Simple solution is to have AI make all the calls on the ice then eh?

The problem is that the parade to the penalty box would be every shift.

Sports has a human element to it which makes it imperfect yet people want to complain.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad