Prospect Info: With the 132nd Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Lauri Pajuniemi

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
If I were Pujaniemi I might go play in the KHL for a year or two. Where is his opening with the NYR? What winger is going to play over? If he signs this off-season he'd likely end up in HFD and I think it would be better for him personally to be in the K where he can continue to develop. And if he moves to the K for a year or two we'll keep his rights indefinitely. I don't think it's a bad idea for him to sign a 1 year KHL deal, 2 at max.

Reactions: RickChartraw

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
At a certain point, if he doesn’t think he would play here, or we don’t think he would, you have to trade his rights to someone

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
NYR plans to sign him. we need more shoot 1st mentality on this team, they overpass over stick handle the puck

That is the plan. A year ago, Gorton and Bobrov had a talk with Pajuniemi and his agent and they told him they wanted him in Liiga for 1 more year.

But this interview with IS is a clever move. It puts some pressure on the Rangers, and indicates he isn't interested in being loaned back to a Liiga team next season.

It's Hartford, or him signing elsewhere. If it's the SHL, his rights still expire in 2022. If it's the KHL, his rights are extended indefinitely until he leaves that league.

Reactions: egelband

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
That is the plan. A year ago, Gorton and Bobrov had a talk with Pajuniemi and his agent and they told him they wanted him in Liiga for 1 more year.

But this interview with IS is a clever move. It puts some pressure on the Rangers, and indicates he isn't interested in being loaned back to a Liiga team next season.

It's Hartford, or him signing elsewhere. If it's the SHL, his rights still expire in 2022. If it's the KHL, his rights are extended indefinitely until he leaves that league.
Rangers better not mess this up. we need more shoot 1st type of players and more of a balance although I wish we had more grit board winning type of players. the 8 -3 wide open finesse style of games rarely happen in the playoffs

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

IMO, it's in Pajuniemi's interest to come over even if it means playing in the AHL and not getting an opportunity in the NHL.

KHL teams value guys that have AHL experience higher than any other league.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
At this point I think I'd take the AHL over Liiga for sure. He should come over and show he can play in the AHL. It will only help his value.

All it takes is an injury or two and you unexpectedly find yourself in the NHL with a chance to make a name for yourself. When Lindgren came up, he was a fill-in in the minds of most. Even once he showed what he could do, I think most people still considered him a placeholder till the "better" prospects were ready. Now, he looks like a foundational piece of the defense. I know this isn't quite the same circumstance as what Pajuniemi is facing, but the point remains--you come over, work hard, give it your all, and hope for a chance. Then seize it.

If he finds himself in a situation where he comes to the U.S. and there's no path forward for him, the Rangers absolutely will work to either trade him, find a loan arrangement for him, or terminate his contract. We're not an organization to let guys languish in the minors who want to be elsewhere.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
At this point I think I'd take the AHL over Liiga for sure. He should come over and show he can play in the AHL. It will only help his value.

All it takes is an injury or two and you unexpectedly find yourself in the NHL with a chance to make a name for yourself. When Lindgren came up, he was a fill-in in the minds of most. Even once he showed what he could do, I think most people still considered him a placeholder till the "better" prospects were ready. Now, he looks like a foundational piece of the defense. I know this isn't quite the same circumstance as what Pajuniemi is facing, but the point remains--you come over, work hard, give it your all, and hope for a chance. Then seize it.

If he finds himself in a situation where he comes to the U.S. and there's no path forward for him, the Rangers absolutely will work to either trade him, find a loan arrangement for him, or terminate his contract. We're not an organization to let guys languish in the minors who want to be elsewhere.

Lias Andersson must have had awful advice or is a really a stupid selfish player that has growing up to do. 5 goals 11 pts in 79 games for any 1st round pick is pathetic. imagine if North American players said I'm too good for the AHL and decided to go play in Europe sadly they don't have that option..

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lias Andersson must have had awful advice or is a really a stupid selfish player that has growing up to do. 5 goals 11 pts in 79 games for any 1st round pick is pathetic. imagine if North American players said I'm too good for the AHL and decided to go play in Europe sadly they don't have that option..

Tell us how you really feel :laugh:

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Michelletti is poisoning this fan base.
? It's true
So many cross ice passes that don' get through, looking for the highlight reel goal. It's great when it connects, but when we aren't able to get those through our scoring dries up. Need more guys to shoot. That's one thing Blackwell does well.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i believe he will sign and he will come
he may never be more ready to make the move
and he has met the Gordie Clark metric, to excel at current level, to earn a move up
2 very strong seasons, at age 20 (tied for 3rd in Goals, 1 behind 2d,w least GP among top 10)
and age 21 (tied for 6th on goals, 2 behind 3rd) (w least GP among top 10, tied w old friend Ahti Oksanen, 1 behind old friend Aleksi Saarela)
and having Kakko, and Tarmo, will help him feel comfortable

Reactions: CasusBelli

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
? It's true
So many cross ice passes that don' get through, looking for the highlight reel goal. It's great when it connects, but when we aren't able to get those through our scoring dries up. Need more guys to shoot. That's one thing Blackwell does well.
Lol, its not looking for highlight reel goals. Passing across the royal road, and even better when there is deception, is the most effective way to score in today's NHL. The goalies are too good otherwise.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Nothing left to prove in Finland. Hopefully we get a full 80 game AHL season next year for assessment.

Reactions: barriers

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
wish the signing would be confirmed by NYR already ... seems like the CapFriendly report is the basis for all that followed ...

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
? It's true

I haven't checked our offense in a while, but it was top 5 till the slide and were top 5 last year. Listen to Vally not Joe. It's not about "shoot first mentality" it's an outdated way of looking at things. Do they sometimes pass up on shots and pass when they should shoot? Yes. But basically whether you should shoot or pass is a case by case basis. And this team has more gifted passers than gifted shooters. One guy that passes up shots he should take is Mika, but he also shoots a fair bit. The "shoot at all costs" mentality is outdated. It's WAY more nuanced than that. But Joe is old school and frankly not that bright of a hockey mind.

Reactions: CLW

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Your boy just scored two beautiful goals in the first game of the Liiga finals. Such a pleasure to watch. This kid really could turn into a fantastic draft pick.
Most underrated prospect in the organization.
This team can use his shooting abilities and mentality. Hope he can marinate a bit in Hartford to see if he transitions ok to north america.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Second-leading scorer for Malmo behind former Devil Janne Kuokkanen. Any chance of him returning to North America or is Europe the peak of his potential? Believe the Rangers extended a qualifying offer to retain his rights.

Reactions: tlk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad