Prospect Info: With the 132nd Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Lauri Pajuniemi

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kid seems like a potential late round gem. Especially since he’s only a few days removed from NOT being an overager.

Any word on why he wasn’t drafted last year/slipped so far this year?

Well, he was one of the youngest players in the draft last year. He's only a week older than Brady Tkachuk. He's an overager, 2nd year eligible prospect but he missed the cut off date by days. He has progressed nicely in 12 months and I think he just wasn't on people's radar yet last year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, I noticed this too. Seems Finnish U20 is a lesser league relative to CHL.
It's the u18 league. It's a bit of a transitionary league for many top prospects. When they're good enough to dominate the u18 league, they tend to instead just move up to play in the u20 league. Usually, if a player does play a full season there while they're old enough to dominate(around u16 in age), they're an undersized player. That's one of the reasons the names there are pretty unremarkable. The other reason is simply that it's tough for u16 players to dominate against u18 players, even if they're top talents. On Pajuniemi, this u18 season of his there was when he was u17 himself, which is when especially no top prospects would still be playing in that league, so as an achievement its value is somewhat questionable. Tolvanen for instance was u16 during his season.

Regarding the u20 league in comparison to CHL - It indeed is weaker. Both due to the CHL transfer agreements and the fact that the top players at Finnish u20 league will move to Liiga well before they're u20 in age. The u20 league has a pretty good list of names near the top if you look at the all time top scorers for u18 players in the u20 league, though.

Now, Pajuniemi's junior seasons themselves aren't anything that crazy but what I'd pay attention to is the Liiga performance because playing in the league at a decent level at the age of 18 is by far the most impressive thing he's done.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If he’s on that Finnish WJC team he’s a player. Those teams have been just full of legit looking prospects lately. Loved their U18 team

Reactions: Rongomania

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Well, he was one of the youngest players in the draft last year. He's only a week older than Brady Tkachuk. He's an overager, 2nd year eligible prospect but he missed the cut off date by days. He has progressed nicely in 12 months and I think he just wasn't on people's radar yet last year.

I could agree with this. I think teams were definitely looking at him after his U18 year, but his Junior A year could've been a lot more to be desired. But he definitely earned a the cup of coffee with TPS and thrived. Had a good playoffs, as well.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I could agree with this. I think teams were definitely looking at him after his U18 year, but his Junior A year could've been a lot more to be desired. But he definitely earned a the cup of coffee with TPS and thrived. Had a good playoffs, as well.

For all the "Where would Chytil be drafted this year, had he been a few days younger?" I would have expected people to have a similar mindset regarding Pajuniemi. This is the tricky thing with players born around the cut-off date (Sept 15th). The only reason Pajuniemi is an overager, is because he was born 96 hour too early.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I like Pajuniemi a lot, more than I ever liked Saarela. Sure he got a long way to go, but the kid is just very talented. The injuries have held him back a lot. But the kid also has a lot of potential in his skating. It doesn't stick out a ton when playing in the Liiga that is full of really good skaters and a pro-league, but he was one of the better skaters when he played against his peers in juniors and with some elite conditioning in NY before next season, he might become a speed threat in NA too.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I like Pajuniemi a lot, more than I ever liked Saarela. Sure he got a long way to go, but the kid is just very talented. The injuries have held him back a lot. But the kid also has a lot of potential in his skating. It doesn't stick out a ton when playing in the Liiga that is full of really good skaters and a pro-league, but he was one of the better skaters when he played against his peers in juniors and with some elite conditioning in NY before next season, he might become a speed threat in NA too.

could be a less skilled Carl Hagelin?? does he PK and is good on the PP or just a PP guy? not familiar with him but I do liked what I saw from the other finn Tarmo Reunanen. I was hoping he'd stay in AHL.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
could be a less skilled Carl Hagelin?? does he PK and is good on the PP or just a PP guy? not familiar with him but I do liked what I saw from the other finn Tarmo Reunanen. I was hoping he'd stay in AHL.

Regarding Reunanen: It was always clear that he wouldn't stay in Hartford. They signed him this year to avoid a tricky situation where his rights would expire next year. Having him play another year in Finland is a good thing because he only had 1 good year so far in Liiga.

Pajuniemi is more skilled than Hagelin. He just isn't as consistent (yet). Hagelin is much better defensively though. Pajuniemi has the potential to be a player similar to Benoit Pouliot in his 1 year with us, in terms of impact. A 3rd line winger with PP time who has a lethal shot

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
When we were doing our last prospect poll, I tried to vote Pajuniemi in a solid 6 or 7 spots ahead of where he ended up going.

It's nice to be vindicated, but I'm also struck with the sneaking suspicion that in our next poll he's going to go higher than I think he should.

Reactions: Kendo and egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
When we were doing our last prospect poll, I tried to vote Pajuniemi in a solid 6 or 7 spots ahead of where he ended up going.

It's nice to be vindicated, but I'm also struck with the sneaking suspicion that in our next poll he's going to go higher than I think he should.

It all depends on how much people hear about him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah, I actually don't think he really got a fair shot in pre-season. The log-jam at LD prevented that.

He got more chances than I anticipated honestly, probably due to the injury to Rykov. And he ran with it. . As long as he continues to progress this season, I'd be somewhat open to moving one of the other young LD's after this year to create some room for Reunanen to get a shot. He'd be unique on the left side of the defense.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

What you hope for is definitely that he can come in and do what Joonas Donskoi have in SJ and Colorado. Like Donskoi in my book is a "finesse player", that just have played the right way for a good number of years now. Even when he wasn't scoring he was contributing with hard work and his skill. And now he is also putting it together offensively and scoring at a regular pace for Colorado.

But I think he needs to take another step physically to get to that level. He is skilled and work hard, a lot to like. Just need to string together a few really good seasons. We shouldn't rush him.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Reading through this draft year thread it seems that Pajuniemi's coming out party was delayed by one season by emergence certain other Finn. I'm sure another year of maturation didn't hurt but this dramatic statistical improvement from D+1 to D+2 season should be largely attributed to this as opposed to any other factor. Paju has been a legit prospect.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Regarding Reunanen: It was always clear that he wouldn't stay in Hartford. They signed him this year to avoid a tricky situation where his rights would expire next year. Having him play another year in Finland is a good thing because he only had 1 good year so far in Liiga.

Pajuniemi is more skilled than Hagelin. He just isn't as consistent (yet). Hagelin is much better defensively though. Pajuniemi has the potential to be a player similar to Benoit Pouliot in his 1 year with us, in terms of impact. A 3rd line winger with PP time who has a lethal shot

Pouliot also brings grit and physical play, does Pajuniemi have that in his game? I don't see the similarities in their games outside of speed considering Pajuniemi does not have Pouliot's size

Reactions: egelband

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
What you hope for is definitely that he can come in and do what Joonas Donskoi have in SJ and Colorado. Like Donskoi in my book is a "finesse player", that just have played the right way for a good number of years now. Even when he wasn't scoring he was contributing with hard work and his skill. And now he is also putting it together offensively and scoring at a regular pace for Colorado.

But I think he needs to take another step physically to get to that level. He is skilled and work hard, a lot to like. Just need to string together a few really good seasons. We shouldn't rush him.

I would not mind that. Donskoi is underrated in my opinion

Reactions: Ola and Rongomania

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Reading through this draft year thread it seems that Pajuniemi's coming out party was delayed by one season by emergence certain other Finn. I'm sure another year of maturation didn't hurt but this dramatic statistical improvement from D+1 to D+2 season should be largely attributed to this as opposed to any other factor. Paju has been a legit prospect.

He also missed the WJCs in his draft year due most likely to injuries pushing him down the chart, when he looked to be a lock at the WJSS.

Edit - D+1 season

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad