Prospect Info: With the 132nd Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Lauri Pajuniemi

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was named to the Finnish WJC Summer Camp team. From what I can gather early on, he has about a 50/50 to make the team.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Lauri Pajuniemi | FinnProspects.com

"Pajuniemi played on the second line and first power play unit for TPS U20. He likes to have the puck on his stick and has good puck control in tight spaces. He can hang onto the puck and create offense. He moved the puck well in the second period, making simple, short passes that were tape-to-tape. He played at a fairly high pace and showed an ability to handle the puck at varying speeds. Had good edge work, agility and quickness.
The winger could add more consistency and make quicker decisions certain times. He made one play in the first period in which he lost puck control dangerously in the defensive zone. He read the game fairly well defensively, but it’s another area for some improvement. Despite all of this, with his crafty offensive abilities he’s an interesting player for this year’s NHL Draft."

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Happy to see him get drafted, well deserved imo. Not at all surprised it was NYR too, because your scout Mikko Eloranta is a TPS alumni too and lives in the Turku area so he must know Pajuniemi well.

Pajuniemi was a spark plug kind of player for TPS last season who always made the best of the limited ice time he got. Many thought he was deserving a bigger role already last season but the coach liked to play more veteran guys. Next season he should get a bigger role with some of the veterans leaving. Pajuniemi is a hard worker with some skills too (70 points in juniors is very impressive). He kind of reminds me of Artturi Lehkonen when he made his debut here a couple of years ago. Both had that willingness to take a roster spot and immediately make an impact in the team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I was redecorating my desk at work today and was looking at the TPS-HPK poster I got at the game in Turku last year. And look at who was on the list! He didn't play but it is still fun to see his name randomly appear a year later.

8krTjmT.jpg

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
His U18 season is the 2nd highest scoring in u18 history, only behind Eeli Tolvanen who put up 80+

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Who our guy or j.k.?
Pajuniemi. He’s put up good scoring numbers at every level he’s played, and had a good playoff run for TPS this year. I wonder if well see his numbers get a nice boost as he gets more ice time this season.

He also plays with ex-Rangers great Ilkka Heikennen if you needed a good throwback this morning.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yeah, I noticed this too. Seems Finnish U20 is a lesser league relative to CHL.

Yeah for sure, and that is actually the U18 league.

But great that he can put up pts for sure, it’s not a bad U18 league. But the top U18 players of course play in the U20 league, so it’s basically the top 14-15 y/os against the not so great 16-17 y/os...

Reactions: kovazub94

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I like seeing these kids playing pro already at 18, especially when they can contribute a little and have nice playoff showings. CHL and US Dev are great too, but these young kids already get veterans to learn from and playing against full grown men. For a 5th round pick, this kid looks really good. Another year or two in Liiga and then we'll see if he can make that NA transition to AHL and you might get one of those late round gems like Fast.

Looking forward to seeing if he can become something.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
To be fair.. not exactly a star studded list.

This is filtered for u18 players only in an u20 league. Most Finnish prospects don't play in that league until they are 18. Most u18 players actually play in the u18 SM-Liiga. There are different age groups, whereas major Juniors in Canada starts at 16 and players can play until they are 20

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The more I watch him, the more he seems to learn as he continuously plays. I think people are forgetting that NYR drafted him as an overager (born Sept. 12, 1999). His first year eligible was in 2017, where he was playing in Junior A.

That's besides the point now, though. He seems to be a lock for TPS this year and deservedly so. Not sure if anyone posted any highlight vids on him, but I found this one. Enjoy!!

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->