Prospect Info: With the 129th pick in the 2020 draft, the Ducks select Artyom Galimov

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I understand the pick. Obviously there is uncertainty about him ever being ready and willing to come over. But that's what you get with a 129th pick - an overager who progresses well, but does not exactly have a superstar upside.

Reactions: Kalv

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I'll give you Weiss, but not sure about Spezza. He was super highly regarded coming out of the OHL at the time. I remember there were article everywhere. I don't know enough about Kovalchuk at the time, but obviously both he and Spezza have had far more success than Chistov.
Yes, because he was the best Canadian in his age group for a while. I even remember Barry Melrose calling the 01 draft the Spezza Sweepstakes. That was before Kovalchuk passed him in the draft rankings. Of course Spezza and Kovalchuk went on to massive NHL success compared to Chistov. Still an argument could be made that at 17 Chistov was more talented.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I dont mind the pick... it means at least were looking at russian players and willing to invest in russian players.

Thats a pretty big + for us, as russia has a ton of hockey talent.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I have serious doubts about this opening the door for Bm and Maddon to start drafting Russians in the 1st or 2nd round but I love the idea of us gambling on one of these guys per year in the 4th-7th round.

This kid just turned 21 and producing solidly and getting big minutes in either the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world(I’m not sure what’s harder right now between the SHL and KHL). There’s a lot to like here even if he’s not coming across the pond until he’s 24

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Cup winning teams have been winning with Russians on their roster. Tampa with Kucherov, Sergachev, Vasilevsky & Volkov.
STL with Tarasenko & Barbashev. WSH Capitals with Ovi, Orlov, Kuznetsov and Burakovsky.
Penguins winning twice in a row with Malkin.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I'm hoping this pick indicates that Bob's power in waning within the organization. Perhaps a transition is beginning to take place.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I'm hoping this pick indicates that Bob's power in waning within the organization. Perhaps a transition is beginning to take place.

Madden is in charge for years now. The draft is his show.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Cup winning teams have been winning with Russians on their roster. Tampa with Kucherov, Sergachev, Vasilevsky & Volkov.
STL with Tarasenko & Barbashev. WSH Capitals with Ovi, Orlov, Kuznetsov and Burakovsky.

It's not like Anaheim purposefully rejects picking Russians.

Madden has been in charge of the draft. It's his say on who they pick.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Need to note that Burakovsky is a Swede born in Austria, but he is of Russian heritage.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Need to note that Burakovsky is a Swede born in Austria, but he is of Russian heritage.

His father Robert, on of my alltime favorite players, was 1 year in Austria and played for the KAC. You know, Nickls hometown team.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
So this dude's really 3 years away? I'm going to have a tough time mustering any excitement about it.

The NHL-KHL relationship is very weird. On the other hand, there is no official transfer agreement in existence, making KHL contracts very strict and undisputable. Then again, buyouts and terminations are very common, although for the top talent they are mostly player-initiated terminations, meaning that the player usually has to pay out of pocket to get out of the contract.

The time for when NHL drafted guys arrive to the NHL also varies greatly. Some players never make the jump, others arrive as soon as the following season. As some recent examples, it took Minnesota 5 years to finally lure Kirill Kaprizov into the roster, whereas undrafted "NHL UFA" Dman Mikko Lehtonen signed a contract with Toronto only 1 year into his multi-year KHL contract.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
The NHL-KHL relationship is very weird. On the other hand, there is no official transfer agreement in existence, making KHL contracts very strict and undisputable. Then again, buyouts and terminations are very common, although for the top talent they are mostly player-initiated terminations, meaning that the player usually has to pay out of pocket to get out of the contract.

The time for when NHL drafted guys arrive to the NHL also varies greatly. Some players never make the jump, others arrive as soon as the following season. As some recent examples, it took Minnesota 5 years to finally lure Kirill Kaprizov into the roster, whereas undrafted "NHL UFA" Dman Mikko Lehtonen signed a contract with Toronto only 1 year into his multi-year KHL contract.
Yeah, it's interesting. Also, even if contracts aren't terminated and a guy decides to leave, the NHL won't really care and all that's going to happen is the IIHF suspending a guy internationally, which is going to matter if you're a regular for the Russian national team, but otherwise is mostly formal. We'll just have to wait and see, the three years are indeed hardly set in stone.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
What makes you so sure? Do you think Madden is putting forth these players and Murray is shooting it down?

I seriously doubt Murray is at the table in the 7th round making the decision.

I suspect it was an organizational standard to just downgrade Russians for being Russians the same way you downgrade a guy for having motivational issues. The Ducks view being Russian, and having a KHL contract especially, as an issue.

Hopefully this is the changing of the tide. I’ve made a post about this before but not drafting Russians is insane. It’s like saying we are not going to draft Americans or Swedes or Finns. You’re cutting off a huge portion of the player pool.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

On a tangent, the Dallas stars signed a FA Joel Kiviranta from across the pond. Kiviranta was 23 years old when he was signed. Joel was never drafted. He played in the AHL and NHL. Then finally got a shot in the playoffs and he helped Dallas get into the cup finals.

Galimov could be find that we'll probably forget about until he comes over in three years. That's okay. Just pretend he's going to college for three years.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad