Prospect Info: With the 129th pick in the 2020 draft, the Ducks select Artyom Galimov

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Sammy Tirpak of Dobber Prospects: “He likely won’t get drafted since he is third year overager, but Artyom Galimov grew so much on me this season. His offensive upside is tremendous and despite him being very late boomer in draft conversation, he stormed the conversation in amazing fashion. Winning rookie of the year in KHL this season was just a cherry on top of his performances. He is a dynamic offensive presence and can score and also be a playmaker whenever what situation requires. I think a team who has history with Russian players can benefit from having his rights and bringing him over in very productive age of 24 years old when his contract in Kazan is over in three years.”

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not very good luck with undersized Russian players

To be fair, we didn't have luck with our non-undersized Russian forward. If you remember Chistov, then you have to remember Smirnov. Yet Chistov with Pahlsson and Stevie Thomas was the amazing two kids and a goat line the helped us get into the playoffs. On the plus side, Galimov isn't a first round pick! woot!

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Chistov was the most talented player in the draft. Smirnov close as well, it was considered, that he could be the best player out of his year. Both had serious issus in terms of work ethic. But the talent was there.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Chistov was the most talented player in the draft.

He was more talented than Spezza and Weiss for sure, they were considered safer picks as North American centers. Definitely could make the argument that Chistov was more dynamic than Kovalchuk at 17 as well.

Reactions: Masch78
Oct 18, 2011
If he's already productive in the KHL then to me the age thing isn't that important but since we never have any Russian players I don't know if we're gonna set him up for success. I hope they bring another into SD to make his transition easier if he ever comes

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think the dude will love living in California. Isn't California/NY/Florida the places Russians like living the most ?
Both NYC and LA have big Russian communitys and alot of Russians like Florida cause they'll never have winter again there.
There is even a handful of Russians in OC.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't see what makes him better off being in the AHL vs the KHL for 2021-22. Maybe he'll even be ready to make the NHL in 22-23?

The only benefits would be adapting to NA culture, learning the language and getting used to the smaller rinks. Otherwise, so long as he’s continues to get decent amounts of ice time the KHL is the superior league to be playing in.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Madden confirmed that Galimov is under contract for "more than a year." So that report saying he is locked in Russia until the end of the 22/23 season is likely true.

Reactions: Dick Steel

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Madden confirmed that Galimov is under contract for "more than a year." So that report saying he is locked in Russia until the end of the 22/23 season is likely true.
Also says he doesn't view it as a concern, if he keeps improving Galimov might be ready to make the jump to the NHL immediately after that season.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie
Oct 18, 2011
I don't see what makes him better off being in the AHL vs the KHL for 2021-22. Maybe he'll even be ready to make the NHL in 22-23?
I was reading he has a 3 year contract so if he ends up being NHL caliber he might jump right into the league but id still like to see Anaheim bring in other Russian players it feels like a talent pool we have been avoiding

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
He was more talented than Spezza and Weiss for sure, they were considered safer picks as North American centers. Definitely could make the argument that Chistov was more dynamic than Kovalchuk at 17 as well.
I'll give you Weiss, but not sure about Spezza. He was super highly regarded coming out of the OHL at the time. I remember there were article everywhere. I don't know enough about Kovalchuk at the time, but obviously both he and Spezza have had far more success than Chistov.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
The only benefits would be adapting to NA culture, learning the language and getting used to the smaller rinks. Otherwise, so long as he’s continues to get decent amounts of ice time the KHL is the superior league to be playing in.

AkBars plays on a "Finnish-size"-rink which is somewhere between the IIHF and NHL-standards.
This is one good pick tho. Galimov is pretty clutch.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Bets on whether he'll actually ever come over? I'm going "no" just because it's our first Russian pick in years, so of course we'll get burnt.

Reactions: Dmang714

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think the dude will love living in California. Isn't California/NY/Florida the places Russians like living the most ?
Both NYC and LA have big Russian communitys and alot of Russians like Florida cause they'll never have winter again there.
There is even a handful of Russians in OC.
I would hate to live in a place with no winter. So there is that. It is also probably tough to explain to people used to living that close to the equator.

But it surely won't be a huge factor in Galimov's decision making.

There are two questions to answer:

Will he be good enough to be a full time NHLer? For now it looks like he is a full time KHLers for sure though.

Is there a place for him on your team? Because being a successful KHLer and not a teenager anymore for quite some time now he might have his thoughts about the risks of making the jump only to end up in the AHL for yeras and then return home and not being able to fit in like he does now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad