Prospect Info: With the 129th pick in the 2020 draft, the Ducks select Artyom Galimov

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I don't see how anyone that knows anything about hockey could think he is a top 3 prospect of the Anaheim Ducks at this current time & that's not my opinion like usual, its facts.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I disagree. Prospects are completely unpredictable and all of us don’t watch or follow each one equally. If you look back at prospect ranks in the past, none of us have any clue will how they develop or who’s the “better” prospect. I don’t think he’s a top prospect either, but I think taking a shot using draft spot is silly.

It’s not a big deal though. I know no harm was meant. I think enough has been said about this though. Don’t want to drag out something small like some others might.

Over time and in the grand scheme of things, I get what you're saying. But we're talking about a player drafted two years ago. That's fairly recent, all things considered. Yes, there are some exceptions where things change a lot in that span of time. But generally speaking, and especially in this case, not much has changed to propel this player so such high regard within this pool of prospects.

I want to be clear, I'm not saying anyone is wrong for having a different opinion of a player than most people. I'm just saying this is one reason why I disagree with said opinion.

If the draft position of a player doesn't mean much, then why do we see so many first round picks get multiple chances with multiple different teams to stay in the NHL as opposed to a player drafted in the 7th round? I don't think that's some crazy coincidence. This is just one example and there are many others I can provide that suggest draft position means more than "not much." But for the sake of not dragging this out (to your point) I'll leave it at that, unless you want to discuss further.

Reactions: Duck Off

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I have no idea how to rate Russian Prospects because i feel you have to go with the Eye Test because stats don't really show as much in KHL because of playing time and usage.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Over time and in the grand scheme of things, I get what you're saying. But we're talking about a player drafted two years ago. That's fairly recent, all things considered. Yes, there are some exceptions where things change a lot in that span of time. But generally speaking, and especially in this case, not much has changed to propel this player so such high regard within this pool of prospects.

I want to be clear, I'm not saying anyone is wrong for having a different opinion of a player than most people. I'm just saying this is one reason why I disagree with said opinion.

If the draft position of a player doesn't mean much, then why do we see so many first round picks get multiple chances with multiple different teams to stay in the NHL as opposed to a player drafted in the 7th round? I don't think that's some crazy coincidence. This is just one example and there are many others I can provide that suggest draft position means more than "not much." But for the sake of not dragging this out (to your point) I'll leave it at that, unless you want to discuss further.

Nah i get it. You and I really aren't far off on this. The only thing I'd add is the Russian factor is definitely a variable that can't be ignored. I believe it was mentioned that Galimov fell a little bit because there was fear he'd ever come to NA. I have no idea how much that impacted his draft status, but it's worth noting he could have fallen a bit due to that.

The bold is pretty much what I was saying. I've just been around a long time and been a part of a ton of prospect ranking polls that continuously show we really don't know how our prospects pan out compared to each other beforehand.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

irishsetter13

Jan 24, 2016
lmao, what does my username have to do with anything?

my ‘love’ for him is nothing like BSU spamming about Terry every day for the past 3-4 years before he broke out
I mean...for a Ducks team that has a history of not drafting or having Russians on their team, your username is two of the Ducks biggest Draft busts whom both happen to be Russians...And the player you are drooling over is our first Russian Skater drafted by the Ducks since 2001 (Chistov and Korsunov). The only other Russian Drafted between then was Bobkov in 2009 who was a goalie and didnt play for the Ducks.

In fact the only Russians that have played for the Ducks since Chistov are Bryz, Khudobin, Artyukhin, Volkov and Kondratiev. So since 2007 that's a total of 5 players with the only two worth a damn being goalies. FYI Swiss skaters have played more games for the Ducks since 2007 than all Russian Players combined... (227 Games for Luca Sbisa vs. 145 Games between Bryz, Khudobin, Artyukhin, Volkov and Kondratiev).

Using your username and the fact that Galimov is Russian clearly indicates you have a favoritism to Russian Players and Prospects.

Galimov is an interesting prospect, but you have to take into account that he is already 22 years old (drafted as an overage prospect), He only had 22 points in 47 games (0.47 PPG) last season in the KHL compared to Jacob Perrault (37 points in 55 games or 0.67 PPG at age 19) or Tracey (31 Points in 55 Games or 0.56 PPG at age 20) and it doesnt look so good. You can say the KHL is a slighty better league, but the AHL is no slouch of a league and I would argue is of equal experience.

Galimov has some crazy skill but he seems like a Jiri Sekac to me. Hes got some nice Tools but no Toolbox to put it all together. He will score a highlight reel goal occasionally but alot of time is just invisible. Plus there is the Russian Factor. I dont think he will even leave the KHL. Dont get me wrong, I would love for him to work out and to be proven wrong.

But to claim Galimov is a top 3 prospect is absolutely insane. McTavish, Zelleweger, Dostal, Perrault, Tracey, Andersson, Helleson, Moore, Pastujov, Groulx, LaCombe, Thrun and Clang are all prospects I would rank ahead of Galimov (no particular order for that list). Heck you could even convince me that Lopina, McLaughlin, Tschigerl, Hinds and Regenda are ahead of Galimov.

I agree BSU was a little insane with his/her love of Terry. But he was right. Terry had an insane Breakout season. Terry always had potential. There was a reason he was on a WJC team for the USA plus the Olympic Team. Theres also a reason Terry was drafted when he was 18 vs. Galimov getting drafted when he was 20...

:D Is Andy McDonald ur favorite Duck of all time ?
Big fan of Andy. Got to meet him once and dear God I have never seen as big a Neck as he had. the dude was ripped as you would expect.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Who is saying that he's a top 3 prospect? I can't find the post....? Was it pages back? or what page is it on?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I mean...for a Ducks team that has a history of not drafting or having Russians on their team, your username are two of the Ducks biggest Draft busts whom both happen to be Russians...And the player you are drooling over is our first Russian Skater drafted by the Ducks since 2001 (Chistov and Korsunov). The only other Russian Drafted between then was Bobkov in 2009 who was a goalie and didnt play for the Ducks.

In fact the only Russians that have played for the Ducks since Chistov are Bryz, Khudobin, Artyukhin, Volkov and Kondratiev. So since 2007 that's a total of 5 players with the only two worth a damn being goalies. FYI Swiss skaters have played more games for the Ducks since 2007 than all Russian Players combined... (227 Games for Luca Sbisa vs. 145 Games between Bryz, Khudobin, Artyukhin, Volkov and Kondratiev).

Using your username and the fact that Galimov is Russian clearly indicates you have a favoritism to Russian Players and Prospects.

Galimov is an interesting prospect, but you have to take into account that he is already 22 years old (drafted as an overage prospect), He only had 22 points in 47 games (0.47 PPG) last season in the KHL compared to Jacob Perrault (37 points in 55 games or 0.67 PPG at age 19) or Tracey (31 Points in 55 Games or 0.56 PPG at age 20) and it doesnt look so good. You can say the KHL is a slighty better league, but the AHL is no slouch of a league and I would argue is of equal experience.

Galimov has some crazy skill but he seems like a Jiri Sekac to me. Hes got some nice Tools but no Toolbox to put it all together. He will score a highlight reel goal occasionally but alot of time is just invisible. Plus there is the Russian Factor. I dont think he will even leave the KHL. Dont get me wrong, I would love for him to work out and to be proven wrong.

But to claim Galimov is a top 3 prospect is absolutely insane. McTavish, Zelleweger, Dostal, Perrault, Tracey, Andersson, Helleson, Moore, Pastujov, Groulx, LaCombe, Thrun and Clang are all prospects I would rank ahead of Galimov (no particular order for that list). Heck you could even convince me that Lopina, McLaughlin, Tschigerl, Hinds and Regenda are ahead of Galimov.

I agree BSU was a little insane with his/her love of Terry. But he was right. Terry had an insane Breakout season. Terry always had potential. There was a reason he was on a WJC team for the USA plus the Olympic Team. Theres also a reason Terry was drafted when he was 18 vs. Galimov getting drafted when he was 20...

Holy shit there is a lot to unload here lmao.

If you were to actually read my initial post, I said that I have Gailimov in my personal top-3 rankings, (out of 10)

If you were to check my history, I'm actually drooling over players like McTavish, Thrun, LaCombe, and Zellweger (although I'm more concerned about his size being a factor in the NHL). Like I said before, the fact that he's producing at a 'young' age that he has when the KHL is an ultra-conservative league that rather has veterans in their lineups, is saying something.

My username was my lack of creativity of thinking of a clever name. I had a 2003 HockeyNews magazine that had the Ducks farm system label Chistov and Smirnov were two 'cornerstones' of the future - and the rest is history.

I don't have favoritism set to one group of players or prospects, I don't care where they are from, I would want them to succeed. The fact you went to great lengths to dissect a small tidbit that I said is truly odd.

Who is saying that he's a top 3 prospect? I can't find the post....?

lmao, you blocked me, that's why you can't see my posts :help:

• Haha
Reactions: Sean Garrity

irishsetter13

Jan 24, 2016
Holy shit there is a lot to unload here lmao.

If you were to actually read my initial post, I said that I have Gailimov in my personal top-3 rankings, (out of 10)

If you were to check my history, I'm actually drooling over players like McTavish, Thrun, LaCombe, and Zellweger (although I'm more concerned about his size being a factor in the NHL). Like I said before, the fact that he's producing at a 'young' age that he has when the KHL is an ultra-conservative league that rather has veterans in their lineups, is saying something.

My username was my lack of creativity of thinking of a clever name. I had a 2003 HockeyNews magazine that had the Ducks farm system label Chistov and Smirnov were two 'cornerstones' of the future - and the rest is history.

I don't have favoritism set to one group of players or prospects, I don't care where they are from, I would want them to succeed. The fact you went to great lengths to dissect a small tidbit that I said is truly odd.
I mean... if he is in your personal top-3 then you clearly think he is better than at least 2 of McTavish, Thrun, LaCombe and Zel....

Your post history is also very Galimov forward. Every single thread where Galimov is mentioned you go off about how hes a top prospect for the Ducks. Its a little weird especially for a player whom the consensus on is that he is ok and a middle of the road prospect. He has potential but hes not the next Panarin. Ill eat my shoe if comes over within two years and wins a Calder Trophy. But its not going to happen.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I mean... if he is in your personal top-3 then you clearly think he is better than at least 2 of McTavish, Thrun, LaCombe and Zel....

Your post history is also very Galimov forward. Every single thread where Galimov is mentioned you go off about how hes a top prospect for the Ducks. Its a little weird especially for a player whom the consensus on is that he is ok and a middle of the road prospect. He has potential but hes not the next Panarin. Ill eat my shoe if comes over within two years and wins a Calder Trophy. But its not going to happen.

There is no single post where I claim he has the ability to become a Panarin.

I've said it on this thread that yes he is a long-shot prospect, but it wouldn't hurt if he came over to see if he had some offensive ability.

That's why we have our own rankings and do this for fun, right? I'm not bashing anyone who either writes him off or thinks highly of him. He is a prospect that unfortunately plays in a league where their players don't come over all of the time.

irishsetter13

Jan 24, 2016
There is no single post where I claim he has the ability to become a Panarin.

I've said it on this thread that yes he is a long-shot prospect, but it wouldn't hurt if he came over to see if he had some offensive ability.

That's why we have our own rankings and do this for fun, right? I'm not bashing anyone who either writes him off or thinks highly of him. He is a prospect that unfortunately plays in a league where their players don't come over all of the time.

Where did you say he was a long-shot prospect. I would love to just point you to your quotes in both the Main Board Prospect Thread for Galimov as well as the Prospect Rankings from last year.

Galimov.

Speaking of sleeper picks, this guy (if he comes over) would be a homerun. He plays in all scenarios for AkBars, and has been putting up 20-30 points in a professional league that doesn’t give attention to younger guys.
Personally, I’ve always had him in my top 10, or even top five prospects for the ducks. I know he’s an overager, but he’s producing well in a men’s league.

A lot of other fans that are enamored with other prospects :dunno:

Homerun typically doesnt mean long-shot. And apparently we are too enamored with other prospects to see what you see in Galimov. The search function is a wonderful thing on this site!

• Haha
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Where did you say he was a long-shot prospect. I would love to just point you to your quotes in both the Main Board Prospect Thread for Galimov as well as the Prospect Rankings from last year.

Homerun typically doesnt mean long-shot. And apparently we are too enamored with other prospects to see what you see in Galimov. The search function is a wonderful thing on this site!

lmao, nitpicking my posts is an odd way to see some 'victory' in your argument.

Sure, apparently I never posted it it seems, but yes he is a long-shot prospect. Why are you so obsessed about this all of a sudden? :help:

irishsetter13

Jan 24, 2016

Sure, apparently I never posted it it seems, but yes he is a long-shot prospect. Why are you so obsessed about this all of a sudden? :help:
Its not nitpicking when they are your most recent posts on the subject.

You are the one who posted the Skip Bayless-esque hot take that Galimov is a top 3 Prospect (in your mind). Guaranteed you posted this after he had an average season and after he was voted 16th in the Ducks Prospect Rankings in 2021. But to each their own. Keep doing your thing! Its really winning everyone over!

• Haha

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Yet to re-sign with Ak Bars. Any word that he is signing with the Ducks?

I dont know, but in my mind he should come over now that Ak Bars signed Shipachyov. I doubt he'll be getting any top-line minutes in the KHL as it stands now. His production fell off quite a bit towards the end of the season as well, so you'd think that now is the time for him to show if he can live up to his potential in NA.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

Saying something like this tells me you aren't willing to defend your opinion.

Reactions: irishsetter13
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Saying something like this tells me you aren't willing to defend your opinion.

I can defend my opinion.

I do like the player, but I understand it's a long shot to come over. Perhaps if he did maybe we can see something every day besides tidbit reports and highlights. Maybe it's also something that the team actually took a 'risk' on a Russian when previous years they never did. Maybe they saw something in him, even though he was an over-ager.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I can defend my opinion.

I do like the player, but I understand it's a long shot to come over. Perhaps if he did maybe we can see something every day besides tidbit reports and highlights. Maybe it's also something that the team actually took a 'risk' on a Russian when previous years they never did. Maybe they saw something in him, even though he was an over-ager.

What makes you think he's a top 3 prospect?

You're saying you view him as better than 5 of these players: McTavish, Perreault, Pastujov, Zellweger, Dostal, Thrun, and Tracey. That doesn't include the rest of the prospect pool.

To your point, all we've seen are tibit reports and highlights. I don't know about you, but I like as much information to formulate an opinion - not as little information.

Reactions: irishsetter13
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
What makes you think he's a top 3 prospect?

You're saying you view him as better than 5 of these players: McTavish, Perreault, Pastujov, Zellweger, Dostal, Thrun, and Tracey. That doesn't include the rest of the prospect pool.

To your point, all we've seen are tibit reports and highlights. I don't know about you, but I like as much information to formulate an opinion - not as little information.

I like the fact that he can produce in a league that's arguably better than the AHL. There was a twitter user who used to do scouting reports for Russian prospects and would break down his usage on the PP.

My personal top three are: McTavish, Thrun and Galimov. I don't see the hype regarding Pastujov - his skating issues will catch up to him soon. It's nice that he is producing but if he can't fix that, I wonder how effective he will be at the next level. I'm concerned about Zellwegers size having an impact on the NHL, never been a fan of the Tracey pick. Perreault is good - but need to see more.

That poster is incapable of justifying the claim, he'll repeat it ten times over but can't explain.

I guess you never read his scouting report?

:help::help:I've mentioned it many times that he was placed in all situations for AK bars - if you can't read you can go through my posts.

I've never seen such backlash for my own personal opinion lol. But I digress

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I like the fact that he can produce in a league that's arguably better than the AHL. There was a twitter user who used to do scouting reports for Russian prospects and would break down his usage on the PP.

My personal top three are: McTavish, Thrun and Galimov. I don't see the hype regarding Pastujov - his skating issues will catch up to him soon. It's nice that he is producing but if he can't fix that, I wonder how effective he will be at the next level. I'm concerned about Zellwegers size having an impact on the NHL, never been a fan of the Tracey pick. Perreault is good - but need to see more.

I guess you never read his scouting report?

:help::help:I've mentioned it many times that he was placed in all situations for AK bars - if you can't read you can go through my posts.

I've never seen such backlash for my own personal opinion lol. But I digress
Even that scouting report projects Galimov as a bottom six energy player. I don't get where you're getting top 3 prospect from.

Just because a thing is an opinion doesn't shield you from criticism. Opinions can be dumb and it's okay for people to say so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad