Prospect Info: With the 129th overall pick in the 2023 draft, the Ducks select Rodwin Dionicio

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
True. And like I said...I don't think playing there has been particularly helpful for Dionicio's development. I'm not the greatest fan of Windsor's staff but it's definitely on another level compared to Niagara. A lot more composure and discipline on the ice which is visible.
Yeah the icedogs have been a complete gong show for a while now. Thankfully he's outta there

Reactions: Hinterland

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I love the upside of the pick but I just watched a replay of the draft and the scout on the broadcast was brutal saying "can't think, can't skate, can't play". I've never heard such a brutal assessment of a player. Can only hope that he didn't watch him much in Windsor. Good risk/reward at 129 though.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I love the upside of the pick but I just watched a replay of the draft and the scout on the broadcast was brutal saying "can't think, can't skate, can't play". I've never heard such a brutal assessment of a player. Can only hope that he didn't watch him much in Windsor. Good risk/reward at 129 though.
Complete bs. Dionicio is a great skater for his size and has Subban kinda upside. The only problem is that he's highly unlikely to get there. It's incredibly dumb to say he can't play though.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Complete bs. Dionicio is a great skater for his size and has Subban kinda upside. The only problem is that he's highly unlikely to get there. It's incredibly dumb to say he can't play though.
Yeah, I was pretty shocked. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, I was pretty shocked. Thanks for your thoughts!

Otten, who watches the OHL a ton, is fairly high on Dionicio as well. I like Dionicio's skating better than he does and of course it does need work...but we're talking about a big guy and "can't play" or "can't skate" is bs. For a guy over 200 lbs I think he moves well. Looks taller than 6'2 as well.

Big guys like Dionocio, if they're bad skaters, usually score vs fellow kids because they're physically imposing. If you look at Dionico's points, he actually scores because of his skillset. Of course it helps that he's strong on the puck but he uses his frame mostly against the puck. Also, he played mostly defenseman, only few games as a forward. You don't score so many points as a defenseman in the OHL if you "can't play". As a forward maybe if you're just owning the slot but as a defenseman it's a bit more complicated.

Reactions: Kalv and Static

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Otten, who watches the OHL a ton, is fairly high on Dionicio as well. I like Dionicio's skating better than he does and of course it does need work...but we're talking about a big guy and "can't play" or "can't skate" is bs. For a guy over 200 lbs I think he moves well. Looks taller than 6'2 as well.

Big guys like Dionocio, if they're bad skaters, usually score vs fellow kids because they're physically imposing. If you look at Dionico's points, he actually scores because of his skillset. Of course it helps that he's strong on the puck but he uses his frame mostly against the puck. Also, he played mostly defenseman, only few games as a forward. You don't score so many points as a defenseman in the OHL if you "can't play". As a forward maybe if you're just owning the slot but as a defenseman it's a bit more complicated.

I'm a big fan of Brock ever since he pegged McTavish accurately back in 2021. If he is optimistic then so am I.

Reactions: Static

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm a big fan of Brock ever since he pegged McTavish accurately back in 2021. If he is optimistic then so am I.
I don't know if he's optimistic. I don't even know if I am. Probably not. I just like his upside because the kid can do it all. It's not often you get a kid able to play any position (except goalie of course), able to score lots of points and still hitting big and willing to fight. Otten seems to like his upside as well.

Speaking of Otten, this is a very fair/good scouting report:

1. Rodwin Dionicio - Defense - Windsor Spitfires

No question, Dionicio is a complicated NHL prospect and one who remains a bit of a long shot to be an NHL player. Yet, we have to applaud the improvement that he showed this year, especially after being dealt to the Windsor Spitfires. He was one of the best offensive defenders in the OHL in the second half and is only a year away from being first time draft eligible. His hands and creativity are top notch. He routinely beats the initial layer of pressure and is a threat to go end to end almost every time he leads the attack out of Windsor's zone. He can quarterback the powerplay with a good point shot and quick movement. His offensive potential is significant at the next level. Defensively, he's a bit of a riverboat gambler. He likes to play physical, but he can chase the hit and the play, taking him out of position. His four way mobility improved a lot this year, but his backwards stride and transitions will still need to improve for him to be an NHL defender. There's a reason why he was used as a forward at times this year by Windsor (including in the playoffs). Of course, his untimely suspension in the playoffs likely didn't help his cause either. As much as he's a player with warts, I'd still have him ranked as the top re-entry from the OHL and someone I'd consider in the mid-late rounds because his upside is quite high under the right development model. Considering how much he improved in a half a season in Windsor, I'd be curious to see what a full year next season could due.

Last edited:
Reactions: Static and tomd

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
That is absolutely not what they said, good lord.

Listen to it again, the scout was saying they're getting to that point in the draft where you should start thinking that way. He absolutely was not saying that about any specific prospect, and certainly not this one.

Reactions: mightyquack

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
That is absolutely not what they said, good lord.

Listen to it again, the scout was saying they're getting to that point in the draft where you should start thinking that way. He absolutely was not saying that about any specific prospect, and certainly not this one.
Then I misheard or misinterpreted. I suspect I may not have been the only one though.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Then I misheard or misinterpreted. I suspect I may not have been the only one though.
I doubt anyone interpreted it that way, no offense. I just listened to it again. There's no way you would think it referred to anyone specifically. They weren't even talking about Dionicio at the time. It was a follow up question about whether size is a factor in these late picks, and what teams could be looking for depending on where their prospect pool stands.

Reactions: mightyquack

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I doubt anyone interpreted it that way, no offense. I just listened to it again. There's no way you would think it referred to anyone specifically. They weren't even talking about Dionicio at the time. It was a follow up question about whether size is a factor in these late picks, and what teams could be looking for depending on where their prospect pool stands.
I'll watch it again when I have a chance. If I'm wrong I apologize in advance for a bad post. Honest error.

Reactions: ADHB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad