Prospect Info: With the 129th overall pick in the 2023 draft, the Ducks select Rodwin Dionicio

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Rodwin
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: DuckDuckGetz

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Well, a defenseman who can't skate well. I sure hope that the Ducks can figure out how to teach him to skate.

However, his skating is extremely behind just about every other prospect in this class, which must be fixed moving forward. His skating held him back a bit offensively, which is scary to think, but it also made him a liability in his own end. Legitimate top-four potential if his skating can be at least average.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Well, a defenseman who can't skate well. I sure hope that the Ducks can figure out how to teach him to skate.

However, his skating is extremely behind just about every other prospect in this class, which must be fixed moving forward. His skating held him back a bit offensively, which is scary to think, but it also made him a liability in his own end. Legitimate top-four potential if his skating can be at least average.
Honestly see that as a good thing. It has to be easier to take somebody from bad to average than from average to good or great, right?

Reactions: lwvs84

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Biiiiiig swing. I think I remember reading about possibly switching him to forward?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I have seen him in many games for the Swiss junior national teams. He is a boom or bust type offensive defenceman. Has great hands, vision and a meanness to his game. However as it has been pointed out, his skating needs a lot of refinement and he also needs to improve his decision making defensively. I don't think that's a hockey IQ issue per se but rather cockiness as he always wants to make the best and most spectacular play possible. All in all he is a pretty good value pick for round 5 as you usually don't get a player with that much upside this late. But he is certainly a long term project that needs a lot of seasoning.

Last edited:

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Big swing, boom bust type. I thought available guys like Sotheran, Legault, Landen, and even Allen would have been much safer. I'm worried his skating will have him limited to AHL/EURO star, or or a depth forward. He does bring offensive upside, shot, and size...

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Cool. I was interested in him before but didn't think the Ducks would take him. Very boom or bust like said.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

On Rodwin Dionicio (5th Round, 129th Overall)

He moved to defense less than two seasons ago and had an unbelievable rise when he went from Hamilton to Windsor. He went from a relatively young team to an elite defensive team and he basically led that power play. He showed he's coachable. He's got unbelievable instincts. He's a great athlete. He's got some runway to get better defensively and we trust our coaches that, in the long run, they'll get that part of his game to come around.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

This is completely untrue. His skating may look a bit awkward and his top speed and acceleration are never gonna be elite but skating is never gonna hold him back and he's in fact incredibly mobile for his size. Keep in mind he's over 200 lbs.

Does this look like a guy who can't skate?

There's other reasons why he got overlooked in a draft...but certainly not skating.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

He moved to defense less than two seasons ago and had an unbelievable rise when he went from Hamilton to Windsor. He went from a relatively young team to an elite defensive team and he basically led that power play. He showed he's coachable. He's got unbelievable instincts. He's a great athlete. He's got some runway to get better defensively and we trust our coaches that, in the long run, they'll get that part of his game to come around.

Not Hamilton, Niagara. He played mostly well there but I don't think that shitshow of a franchise was very helpful for his development. Players like Dionicio need lots of love and guidance and I'm not sure that's what he got there.

With Dionicio, you get the full package. Mobile skater, elite passer, strong on pucks, heavy hitter, heavy shot, loves to fight. Can play any position since he only recently got converted from Center to Defenseman and was helping out as a winger in the OHL as well.

The problem is hockey IQ, inconsistency and that he's just extremely immature. This may sound funny for a guy able to play any position but it's the case. He improved a lot in Windsor, was great for them for stretches and played a great WJC20 as well. However, when he's not on, he takes lots of dumb penalties or does very dumb hits. Has a suspension history for dumb hits. I don't even think that he's dirty, it's just a lack of consistency leading him to do stupid stuff. He can play 10 clean games just to mess up the next three completely. That's especially true on defense with him taking penalties, stepping up when he's not supposed to, doing illegal/dangerous hits etc.

This kid can do it all but he's unlikely to ever reach his full potential. Should he get good coaching however, that could increase his chances significantly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yemeth

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022

Don't confuse the dirty icedogs with the beautiful Bulldogs. It's a crime

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Don't confuse the dirty icedogs with the beautiful Bulldogs. It's a crime
True. And like I said...I don't think playing there has been particularly helpful for Dionicio's development. I'm not the greatest fan of Windsor's staff but it's definitely on another level compared to Niagara. A lot more composure and discipline on the ice which is visible.

Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad