With so many holes on this team should we consider trading McDavid to fix the problems

Should the Oilers consider moving McDavid to address holes in the organisation

• Total voters

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Haven’t watched much of the games lately, looks like I need a break from this board as well...2 beauty threads started this morning...kudos....

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Maybe we can get a top 2 D and a 2nd rounder for him with the way Chiapet does his trades.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He signed a contract to play here. You expect him to honour it. He’s a smart guy and should have been able to understand the challenges the team was going to have filling a roster after what they paid him. It was clear to anybody with a working brain that this team was going to be going into a reload after McDavid and Draisatl were given what they were given. The realistic goal for this team to be better was going to be in the last half of those contracts when the cap rose and we had more time to develop younger players.

It sucks to have to continue to go through this crap but that’s what happens when you wasted the first five years of that rebuild. Trading McDavid would be the dumbest thing this organization has ever done and they traded Gretzky. At least that trade had somewhat of an excuse in that the fraud of an owner was broke and wanted to cash in. No such excuse this time around. This thread is the worst troll job I’ve ever seen on the Oilers board. You should be ashamed with yourself JTS.

Yes, you expect players to honor the deals they sign but those come with the expectation the team is going to be built to succeed and there is never any certainty the cap is going rise $5+ million dollars especially with the CBA expiring in a few seasons to accommodate upcoming prospects and their contract renewals.

As I said in the PGT, there is no loyalty anymore in pro sports leagues unless there is success to follow in short order. Chicago and Pitt after their high picks were hoisting cups...what was it, four seasons after? Same number of seasons now as McDavid and the Oilers can't even sniff the playoffs.

With these contracts and this roster, the Oilers are screwed for at least the next two three seasons. That will be McDavid's 7th season if it's three years. Then they're teetering into Tavares territory where that culminated in the ultimate "f*** you" walking away from the Isles while filling them with hope his desire was to stay on Long Island. I honestly do not see McDavid wanting to stick it out that long (another 3, almost 4 seasons including this one), let alone until 2026.

I know Oilers fans hate seeing the Oilers being compared to the Leafs but look what they've done since the Matthews draft, they've made the playoffs in his first two seasons. The Oilers should be where the Leafs are at and they're not even close. Lou turned them around pretty fast, while Chiarelli torpedoed his own battleship.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We have McDavid, Drai and Nuge as a solid 1, 2, 3 punch up front. We have prospects that could be helping up front in the next year or two (Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Benson, Marody, Hebig, McLeod, Maksimov) we have defensemen that could be helping in the next year or two (Bouchard, Jones, Lagesson, Berglund, Persson, Bear) and we have a bunch of goalies in the pipeline. No one wants to hear "patience" as we have been hearing that for the last 12 years or so. However IMO we do have some decent pieces coming down the pipeline but we desperately need to shed some salary to add some different pieces to the puzzle. A veteran offensive defenseman, a veteran winger to complete the 1st line or help Nuge on the 2nd, etc.

Things are not as dire as they seem in the present IMO because for once we actually have some players working their way up from the AHL.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
please explain how we fix the oilers beyond fire Chia Pet

It’s been said by me and others in numerous places. There isn’t a quick fix available period.

But trading a generational player is beyond stupid. You can’t get a player like him usually ever. To voluntarily move him is beyond comprehension and just utterly stupid. You will eventually win with McDavid on the team. The best player is that much of a difference maker. At some point in the next 10 years I know McDavid will take this team to a cup.

The problem with your line of thinking is it’s short term oriented. And short term thinking is the way to ruins. Not only in hockey but in life in general

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If they screw up the "McDavid-era", I'm out as a fan. Will spend my time/money on the NBA or some other league. I don't care who they get back, I don't care who is on the roster after that. They're dead to me, and I've supported them since the 80s.

But that would be a bridge too far. I hope they move to Seattle in that case.

Fix this or GTFO.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
please explain how we fix the oilers beyond fire Chia Pet

Well you don't trade away your most valuable asset, the guy who fills the seats and is your only real shot at winning a cup in the future. Do that and so many fans will just give up on this team, it's not even an option.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
One final remark JTS...do you know what a “Unique Selling Proposition” (USP) is?

It differentiate a product or service from your competitors and can make you bullet proof.

McDavid gives the Oilers a USP. He’s The best in the game and it’s not changing for a long time. That is an advantage that we should be exploiting. Players will want to play with the best in the game.

You move him and you lose that. We already aren’t the most desirable location and get screwed because of that. Why would you want to lose that one advantage that no other team can match by moving him?

Reactions: Aerrol

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
One final remark JTS...do you know what a “Unique Selling Proposition” (USP) is?

It differentiate a product or service from your competitors and can make you bullet proof.

McDavid gives the Oilers a USP. He’s The best in the game and it’s not changing for a long time. That is an advantage that we should be exploiting. Players will want to play with the best in the game.

You move him and you lose that. We already aren’t the most desirable location and get screwed because of that. Why would you want to lose that one advantage that no other team can match by moving him?

In this case I think the terrible dumpster fire that is management and rest of the team is a major deterrent to anyone of any value and trumps the McDavid card. Katz needs to show he's serious and that he won't accept failure, fire the failures
that have been running this muppet show for ages and hire a GM that actually has some respect around the league.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Horrible and interesting idea.

McDavid would give loads of stuff... but.

I would say no. Though if things dont get better there might be forced trade from his side.

This is the statement I am hearing league wide. "Request a trade Connor! Get out of Edmonton!"
You guys do know he's under contract right? 8 years. A contract is a binding agreement that he will play here for that term, for $100M USD. He has no power whatsoever to move to another franchise.
All he can do is ask, and I know how dumb Chiarelli is, but do you honestly think that we will ever trade away Connor McDavid? Even if he asks for it? Lmao. He knows who he is, and what that will do to not only his career, but the entire franchise. And contrary to what most of you think, he actually cares about this city/team/fanbase.

But I know that would never happen, he would never request a trade. McDavid is a real genuine person, with pride and integrity. He knows he signed a long term contract, and knowing him, he intends to honor it and bring a championship to the city of Edmonton. Giving up isn't in his DNA, even if it's in all these fans across the league.

I will say, that once his contract is over, there's about a 10% chance of him staying here. My guess is that in 2026, Connor McDavid will be a Toronto Maple Leaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad