With so many holes on this team should we consider trading McDavid to fix the problems

Should the Oilers consider moving McDavid to address holes in the organisation

• Total voters

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Fire everyone, keep McDavid, Joey Moss would do a better job than this shit show.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
When Flames fans see the problem here and our owner does not, we have a real problem.
BTW @The Gnome while I admire Iginla my fighting avatar is better than your fighting avatar...lol

lol, it was a true turtle. But hard to blame him when hillbilly Kassian looks like he's about to lose it. Granted, I generally would prefer my player take a licking over shameless diving...But I'm just happy Tkachuk came out without injury, cause we need him more than anyone save Gaudreau, Gio, or Brodie.

At the end of the day, this is going to be a long journey for Oilers fans. Chia has saddled the team with bloated contracts, the only way out is through I guess. I wouldn't even know where to start if I was GM. At least you guys have McDavid, he's fun to watch...the only reason he should be moved is if he asks for it.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Posted this in the post game...seems appropriate here.

There are little to no options for the Oilers in the short term..as in, the next 3-4 years.

They're basically ****ed and Chia is 99% to blame with BN being the other 1% for hiring the idiot. Switching coaches is akin to shuffling the deck chairs. Maybe short term gain but not going to change anything significant.

The 'team Chia pet has built is not NHL caliber. The only thing that makes it even close is lucking out with the McD draft, MacT's decision to draft Drai and having a reasonable 2/3 line C in RNH.
They have 3-4 bottom 9 players with the rest being AHL or ECHL fodder.
They have a back line-up of 4-6 pairings and no top pairing.
They have a middling goalie tandem with one of those shell-shocked and not being able to focus. Probably done with this team.

They're a cap team (and will be for several years) with next to zero assets that can be turned into top 6/9 players, top line D and goalie that they require.

It 'appears they have some decent up and coming minor league players. However, we've been fooled numerous times with that over the years.

Frankly, it's very disheartening and I don't see an easy way out.

A new, competent GM and company will have to slowly build the team up, almost from scratch. Smart 'small' trades/moves. Good quality drafting and signings.

There is no quick fix here...again.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Not onboard to trade McDavid to fix holes, but I am on board with trading McDavid to save the poor guys career. This is potentially a top 5 player all time and we are ruining it. We ruined a portion of Halls career and that was bad enough.

Ktaz doesnt deserve to make this amount of money off McDavid. Free him, and rebuild the Oilers slowly over the next 5 years from the bottom up

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I had to ninja edit my first post as it certainly sounded like I was for trading him. I was trying to get my kids ready for school and one wasn't cooperating this morning. I hit the post button before I included my thought of only trading him if he requests it but your first reply beat my edit lol.

Lol, the sad part is there are people in this thread legitimately thinking that they should trade him to fill holes.

Trading Hall makes sense if you get a solid return, trading picks at the 2016 draft makes sense if you get a solid return. Trades make sense when you aren't just gifting things to other teams. I just don't know how much longer McDavid is willing to accept abject incompetence from this team.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Lol, the sad part is there are people in this thread legitimately thinking that they should trade him to fill holes.

Trading Hall makes sense if you get a solid return, trading picks at the 2016 draft makes sense if you get a solid return. Trades make sense when you aren't just gifting things to other teams. I just don't know how much longer McDavid is willing to accept abject incompetence from this team.

I have a large amount of respect for all posters on this board whether I agree or disagree with opinions and try to understand their point of view and thought process.

That cannot be done in reference to your first paragraph (understanding the thought process to trade him to plug other holes).

In regards to your second paragraph...I know Chiarelli didn't sabotage this team on purpose but does it ever look like he has.

Im actually pining for the Timid Tambo days.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Man this team would be a near powerhouse with Tambo, or really any GM who just didnt do anything

In the past 2 years the Leafs have mainly just added depth pieces (asides from Tavares), and are laughing now. No desperation moves to fill holes, not horrible trades. Just collecting talent and seeing where the chips fall

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Man this team would be a near powerhouse with Tambo, or really any GM who just didnt do anything

In the past 2 years the Leafs have mainly just added depth pieces (asides from Tavares), and are laughing now. No desperation moves to fill holes, not horrible trades. Just collecting talent and seeing where the chips fall

But, would Tambo have been able to get McDavid to give us a discount after he offered him 1M AAV more than McDavid was willing to accept? That took skillz.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Even if you entertain the thought of trading McDavid what could another team offer that A) would be value-wise such an overpay that it's worth trading the best player in the game and B) would work cap and contract length wise? McDavid is signed through the next 7 years after this one at a reasonable $12.5M AAV so the centerpiece of any deal would need to be a young, fast player who is similarly signed long term at a decent AAV with a proven track record of high end production already. Then add in a great young top pair NHL defenseman and another promising young NHL forward with high pedigree who is already producing (signed to good AAV contracts), a top prospect or two, three first round picks and three second round picks.

It would have to be a lopsided guaranteed win of a trade, and even the trade I just proposed doesn't make me want to pull the trigger. It could end up being a great deal, but could just isn't good enough, it has to be a guaranteed great deal. Also, which team has the pieces to do that, and which team is willing to gut their organization for McDavid? The main reason Gretzky was traded was because of money and in a cap league trading cash, which was a great equalizer back then, is no longer allowed.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I have a large amount of respect for all posters on this board whether I agree or disagree with opinions and try to understand their point of view and thought process.

That cannot be done in reference to your first paragraph (understanding the thought process to trade him to plug other holes).

In regards to your second paragraph...I know Chiarelli didn't sabotage this team on purpose but does it ever look like he has.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong, lol.

I agree, I can't believe that Chiarelli that made these moves thinking they wouldn't pan out, but you are right that it looks like he came in here and pulled a Dick Dastardly, lol.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I mean don't we all need to consider trading McDavid for McDavid's sake at this point.

This has to be the stupidest sentiment I've ever heard & starting to come from what I believe are really good posters.

Until he packs it in, which I doubt he ever will/would, you keep trying to build around him.

I mean look at Hall, he seriously didn't want to be shipped out & he went through waaaaaaaaay more darkness than McDavid has so stop with this stupidity.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wouldn't just outright trade him to patch holes. The only way I do is if he requests to be traded out of this mess and if you think those thoughts aren't beginning to enter his mind, you're only kidding yourself.

Four seasons in, still bottom feeders and there is no cavalry coming from anywhere to help turn it around. Who would want to stick around in that kind of environment.
He signed a contract to play here. You expect him to honour it. He’s a smart guy and should have been able to understand the challenges the team was going to have filling a roster after what they paid him. It was clear to anybody with a working brain that this team was going to be going into a reload after McDavid and Draisatl were given what they were given. The realistic goal for this team to be better was going to be in the last half of those contracts when the cap rose and we had more time to develop younger players.

It sucks to have to continue to go through this crap but that’s what happens when you wasted the first five years of that rebuild. Trading McDavid would be the dumbest thing this organization has ever done and they traded Gretzky. At least that trade had somewhat of an excuse in that the fraud of an owner was broke and wanted to cash in. No such excuse this time around. This thread is the worst troll job I’ve ever seen on the Oilers board. You should be ashamed with yourself JTS.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
He signed a contract to play here. You expect him to honour it. He’s a smart guy and should have been able to understand the challenges the team was going to have filling a roster after what they paid him. It was clear to anybody with a working brain that this team was going to be going into a reload after McDavid and Draisatl were given what they were given. The realistic goal for this team to be better was going to be in the last half of those contracts when the cap rose and we had more time to develop younger players.

It sucks to have to continue to go through this crap but that’s what happens when you wasted the first five years of that rebuild. Trading McDavid would be the dumbest thing this organization has ever done and they traded Gretzky. At least that trade had somewhat of an excuse in that the fraud of an owner was broke and wanted to cash in. No such excuse this time around. This thread is the worst troll job I’ve ever seen on the Oilers board. You should be ashamed with yourself JTS.

I agree with everything in this post except Pocklington didn't WANT to cash in, he NEEDED to cash in.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Kinda like saying the house has lots of problems, should we fix it or just burn the house down?

Not surprised to see the results so one sided

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Even if you entertain the thought of trading McDavid what could another team offer that A) would be value-wise such an overpay that it's worth trading the best player in the game and B) would work cap and contract length wise? McDavid is signed through the next 7 years after this one at a reasonable $12.5M AAV so the centerpiece of any deal would need to be a young, fast player who is similarly signed long term at a decent AAV with a proven track record of high end production already. Then add in a great young top pair NHL defenseman and another promising young NHL forward with high pedigree who is already producing (signed to good AAV contracts), a top prospect or two, three first round picks and three second round picks.

It would have to be a lopsided guaranteed win of a trade, and even the trade I just proposed doesn't make me want to pull the trigger. It could end up being a great deal, but could just isn't good enough, it has to be a guaranteed great deal. Also, which team has the pieces to do that, and which team is willing to gut their organization for McDavid? The main reason Gretzky was traded was because of money and in a cap league trading cash, which was a great equalizer back then, is no longer allowed.
No kidding.

You couldn’t even win a trade for a McDavid type player in the pre-cap era when you could basically do whatever the hell you wanted in a trade. How can you possibly hope to win one now when you pretty much need to match the money coming in with the money going out? So many demonstrating a lack of knowledge for how the league works in this thread. This whole thread is embarrassing.

Reactions: Oilhawks

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
No thank you, I can already see Bobby Mac's tweet.

Trade is one for one. Connor McDavid for Brady Skeji.

(Or another player along those lines)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This has to be the stupidest sentiment I've ever heard & starting to come from what I believe are really good posters.

Until he packs it in, which I doubt he ever will/would, you keep trying to build around him.

I mean look at Hall, he seriously didn't want to be shipped out & he went through waaaaaaaaay more darkness than McDavid has so stop with this stupidity.
Honestly well, said (save for the Hall part)

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
No kidding.

You couldn’t even win a trade for a McDavid type player in the pre-cap era when you could basically do whatever the hell you wanted in a trade. How can you possibly hope to win one now when you pretty much need to match the money coming in with the money going out? So many demonstrating a lack of knowledge for how the league works in this thread. This whole thread is embarrassing.

We're all fans & frustrated & self loathing is starting to creep into the conversation.

It's like dealing with being the only survivor of a traumatic incident & self-sabotaging your own life because you feel guilty & don't think you deserve to be the one who survived. I believe PTSD is a real thing on this board.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad