With so many holes on this team should we consider trading McDavid to fix the problems

Should the Oilers consider moving McDavid to address holes in the organisation

• Total voters

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
You keep McDavid unless he asks for a trade (pretty likely considering where things appear to be going)
Doesn't matter if he asks. Even with Chiarelli being as dumb as a rock, we will never trade away Connor McDavid. And I know he would never ask. His character speaks volumes and he is not the type to give up and disappoint an entire city/franchise. The only time we would ever consider trading him, is in his final year, before the trade deadline if he hasn't extended yet

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Flames offer Johnny Gaudreau/Matthew Tkachuk, Sean Monahan, Noah Hanifin, Oliver Kylington, Dillion Dube, and three first round picks.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You fire every single idiot working in a management capacity in this org before you trade McDavid.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No, never. Not for entire flames team. McDavid is priceless.

Agreed. That core group will never win anything in Calgary even if the value is whatever. You have a better shot ultimately as is, you just need to get a GM that isn't a moron to build a half way decent team.

Reactions: redgrant

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Only thing is Katz wouldn’t. Everyone with a brain would but he is ride or die BFs with Lowe.

You don't really get rich people. McDavid is his crown jewel asset. Crown assets are your no.1 friend, not actual people. I don't really think Katz even gives much of a shit about Kevin Lowe, the OBC "super-friend" he really wanted hanging around the team is Gretzky.

Who gives a crap about Kevin Lowe, lol, that's like Aquaman showing up next to Superman.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Absolutely not.

Look, one day our team will be a contender. It's being held back by some hilariously uncommon handicaps.

Take out McDavid, and we will be a team that gets into the playoffs and has some good series. Keep McDavid, and we get the cup.

And look, I know this isn't an issue. There is literally 0% chance of McDavid getting traded for strategic trading. As the years go by he could be traded if he demands to be traded, but we're not close to there yet.

Isignedupjustfothis

Jun 21, 2018
I would understand if Mcdavid does request a trade. No hard feelings at all. I actually want to see him reach his full potential and playing with a strong supporting cast and linemates. You are actually a horrible selfish human IMO if you want to see him waste his career in the same manner he has been the past 4 years. He is literally winning scoring titles yet still only doing a fraction of what he could under different circumstances.

Reactions: Catch22

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
This is the statement I am hearing league wide. "Request a trade Connor! Get out of Edmonton!"
You guys do know he's under contract right? 8 years. A contract is a binding agreement that he will play here for that term, for $100M USD. He has no power whatsoever to move to another franchise.
All he can do is ask, and I know how dumb Chiarelli is, but do you honestly think that we will ever trade away Connor McDavid? Even if he asks for it? Lmao. He knows who he is, and what that will do to not only his career, but the entire franchise. And contrary to what most of you think, he actually cares about this city/team/fanbase.

But I know that would never happen, he would never request a trade. McDavid is a real genuine person, with pride and integrity. He knows he signed a long term contract, and knowing him, he intends to honor it and bring a championship to the city of Edmonton. Giving up isn't in his DNA, even if it's in all these fans across the league.

I will say, that once his contract is over, there's about a 10% chance of him staying here. My guess is that in 2026, Connor McDavid will be a Toronto Maple Leaf
Ok. You seem to know him well.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Never trade McDavid, not even as a last resort. Even if the Oilers are a bubble team, I'd be happy to see him play hockey 82 games a year.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I know everyone thinks this is crazy. But after one more season full of ineffectual, terrible team play I'd be willing to consider it, for his sake and the team's. (1) it would instantly fix any depth issues we have, and his value might be higher *before* he forces the team's hand and other teams know he has to be moved. (2) I sometimes think that the insane talent distance between him and the rest of the team is bad for them, psychologically... it's not necessarily good for a team to have a get out of jail free card as your 1C. (3) I'm a fan of the game. When you zoom out and look at the big picture, what would be more ultimately humiliating for the Oilers, being known as the franchise that traded McDavid, or being known as the franchise that wasted him? I don't think it's even close. (4) I'm a fan of McDavid. He shouldn't have to go through YET another year of this after next year. It's just cruel.

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
I'd say he is pretty close to hiring the Ray Donavan guy that Karlsson and Hoffman used the get them out of Ottawa and on the beach .

He will have to wait till Duchene and Stone are done with him first probually .

I bet it's the same guy that created Robidas Island and got Hossa to be allergic to his equipment.

My guess is the Uber driver is the Mastermind of all of it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm sure someone else said it somewhere, but there isn't a single trade that exists that would fill the holes, then we'd be left with the biggest hole of all. The one that is created by shipping him out.

We've shipped out our best wingers to fill holes. The trades didn't successfully fill the holes, and now we also have holes on the wings.

A GM needs to seek all alternatives other than trading McDavid, unless there is a demand, and even then, I likely say, "no, you're staying, but we'll do whatever it takes to make you change your mind".

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I'm becoming more convinced every day that a portion of this fanbase won't be happy until we package McDavid, Draisaitl & Koskinen & jettison them out of town.

I'm pretty sure he can see that, when a real goalie is put in net behind them, they have a decent chance to win. All the players know & realize this & can see a light at he end of the tunnel.

Anybody here who thinks he's on the verge of cracking & demanding a trade is delusional & suffering from some form of PTSD IMO. If he is "that guy" then I would consider him "mentally weak" & I seriously doubt "mentally weak" is a phrase anybody would use to describe Connor McDavid.

The only people on the verge of cracking are posters here, & Talbot.

Reactions: paul jambon

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Lol, if we traded McDavid the whole team would implode. Nobody would ever sign here again and we'd get relocated. What a dumb idea.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
If Toronto offered Matthews, Marner and Morgan Rielly, you would at least have to listen. The Edmonton Oilers have traded Connor McDavid for the Toronto MapleLeafs.. No, not to the Toronto MapleLeafs, for the Toronto MapleLeafs.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
lol, i remember bringing up this topic last november and got destroyed for it. i'll say what i said last year. im not sure connor would stand for too much more of cr@9 results. last nov i said maybe one or two more yrs of the same cr@9 before he himself asks for a trade. if a smart gm gets the sense that he cannot fix this soon enough it might be wise to trade him fro a king's ransom. i would absolutely hate to see him leave but if it makes our team better in the long run i can accept it. and ya, i'm not quite sure i'd trust chia to make the trade....

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Never. At the end of this shit season, heads better role, starting with Chia and ending with Nicholson and Lowe and MacT and that other numbnuts that Columbus fired years ago that we immediately hired for no other reason then he was there. Entire scouting staff should be turfed too. Every last one of them is an embarrassment. I’d rather have McDavid moved into upper management then trade him.

Reactions: Aerrol

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
there might not be many strikes left before connor decides enough is enough. if hitch doesn't help drastically improve the team that could be one strike, if no fwd prospects step up next year and makes a significant impact (yama, jesse, etc) that could be another. i think missing the playoffs in 2019-20, if we also miss this year, would be the last straw and there'll be a trade possibly initiated by connor himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->