With McClement gone, Who takes over the Alternate Captaincy

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Really starting to like these veteran acquisitions to the leadership core of this team. These are the types of players that the Leafs have been missing in previous years where they've collapsed and missed the playoffs.

I'm hoping that Tallinder makes the squad in some capacity and is able to be a leader. A core of Phaneuf, Lupul, Robidas, Tallinder with insulation through guys like Clarkson, Winnik and Komarov and there's a real group of character guys that can help get this team through tough times mentally. Of course there will always be Kessel leading by example on the ice (which is why I believe he'll be the alternate alternate), but it seems like a lot of players have been brought in who can help stop the bleeding when things get tough.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My prediction will not be a popular one. Kessel is the obvious choice.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it's Clarkson or Bozak.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Again, I don't think Kessel should be given a letter. He doesn't need to be a leader as in having a letter on his chest, he wants to be the type of player who comes to the rink and does his job. (put the puck, in the net).

he hates having tonnes of attention on himself, and so why create more of it by giving him a letter. Just let him be, and he can do his job, the end.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
The Leafs have a few of candidates I feel.

1. Kessel (only if he wants it)
2. Bozak (seems to be well like)
3. Robidas (for obvious reasons)
4. JVR (I can definitely see this guy being a future leader on this team)
5. Polak
50. Clarkson

Last edited:

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
I think it will be Robidas. He was brought in for his veteran leadership and I think he will quickly gain the respect of his teammates and coaches and become the obvious choice. 2nd choice - I could actually see David Clarkson being an option too (no lie).

leafsrock67

Tank Nation Member
Mar 25, 2014
Kessel shouldn't be an Alternate captain. Being a skilled player doesn't always add up to being a good leader in the locker room. Maybe it should be Robidas, or Polak, maybe Daniel Winnik, they are all veterans and they all display leadership.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Kessel shouldn't be an Alternate captain. Being a skilled player doesn't always add up to being a good leader in the locker room. Maybe it should be Robidas, or Polak, maybe Daniel Winnik, they are all veterans and they all display leadership.

But what if Kessel is a good leader in the locker room?

What if he's really good at knowing the rules of hockey so he can talk to the refs during games - which is really the purpose of the whole thing anyway?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad