Speculation: With Marner @ 10.89 whats your guesses on the rest of the big RFA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
One of the talking heads on TSN said it best -- no team wants the player to be able to use Marner's deal as a comparable.... I think we see deals of the shorter variety for the most part, with guys like Tkachuk able to get a long term deal because he's objectively worse, but a known quantity.

Rantanen - 87 (96 point pace) -- $8.75m x 3 years
Marner - 94 - Signed for 6yrs/$10.89m
Point - 92 - $8.5m x 3 years
Aho - 83 - Signed 5 yrs/$8.45m
Tkachuk - 77 - $9.5m x 6 years
Connor - 66 - $6.5m x 3 years
Boeser - 56 (66 point pace) $6m x 3 years
Laine - 50 - $5m x 2 years

Chucky at 9.5 is insane. No chance in hell. I doubt he even breaks 8mil

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
We already know he's going to sign for less. When it comes to real dollars, that's the way life works. Every team has it's advantages. Florida has a great state tax situation. Toronto has a lot of money to invest in other things hockey related. Tampa would be stupid to not use that to their advantage.
As an American resident paid almost entirely in signing bonuses, Matthews pays about the same taxes as a Tampa player.

I don’t see that reflected in his aav like I do with Tampa players.

Reactions: CanuckCity

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
more than what they would have gotten in June and much more than if they had extended last season before the Matthews extension. The 2nd contract values for hi level RFA's have finished bring reset since the Ekblad, Eichel, Draisatl, McDavid contracts first started the process.
I wonder if the NHL takes a run at limiting them in the next CBA. If they future date the initial effective date the NHLPA wouldn't have an issue with it as all of their current members wouldn't be affected.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Meh. The core is still locked up long-term!!

WOOO HOOO. :)

Everyone and their mothers knew Marner was signing there. We were just hoping he'd take Dumbass to the back shed and f*** him. And he did.

Barrie, Rielly, Andersen. There will be many cap casualties to come. And then of course the big 3 will be up for renewal after.

I think the Leafs need to win the cup 2-3 times within the next 5 years to justify these signings.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Point is comparable to Marner, but I could see Point going 3 years because of Tampa's cap situation.

3 years would be a good length for both sides because it is long enough to give Tampa a bit of cost certainty, but it also means the next contract comes when Tampa has more cap flexibility. The cap will have gone up, and Johnson/Palat/Killorn/Gourde will have their full NTCs turn into partial NTCs before Point's 3 year contract is up.

He could sign 3 years, 8M AAV with a 13M qualifying offer. He'll have two RFA years left, so the qualifying offer would make the total 5 RFA years the equivalent of having a 10.5M AAV. There would obviously be a high chance that he'd sign a long term deal after those 3 years are up rather than just taking his qualifying offer twice, but it's just meant to illustrate the value in an almost worst case scenario.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
If Marner is better, how come the consensus among experts was that he should and will be paid less? ...and now he agreed to be paid less? Hmmmm. Part of your theory doesn’t seem to make much sense.

Nobody credible believes Mitch Marner is better than Auston Matthews.

He got 600k less. As a winger. He’s better than Matthews.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
1) I'm not a sens fan :)
2) Leafs can't bash any team for overpaying players. Dumbass is getting tossed around a rag doll in every negotiation by these kids' agent.

I'm excited to see how badly Barrie will take him to the cleaners next year.
I mean I would rather pay Matthews, Marner and Tavares a little bit more than what they're worth than give 4.63 million to an AHL defenseman (Alzner) and paying two over the hill players a combined 20 million until they're well past their late 30's (Price and Weber)

Reactions: bionic

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I mean I would rather pay Matthews, Marner and Tavares a little bit more than what they're worth than give 4.63 million to an AHL defenseman (Alzner) and paying two over the hill players a combined 20 million until they're well past their late 30's (Price and Weber)

Hmm...I'd rather not overpay for anyone but to each his own.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Point $11.5M
Raantanen $11M
Laine $10 - $10.5M
Tkachuk $9.5 - $10M
Connor $8.5 - $9M
Boeser $8 - $8.5M

*all on 6 year deals

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Considering Kucherov out scored Point, was closer to UFA status, and took a 9.500/8 contract I think 9.500 should be the max offered for point. I think the only way Tampa remains competitive is for everyone to take discounts. It seems like the other leaders of the team have.
I'm guessing this is the hold up with Point, that the team has set the Kucherov and Vasilevskiy contracts as the upper limit and he and his agent are demanding more based on the market. I suspect that the team will hold firm on that but give a little on term and leave him at 5 x $9.5M.

I think Tkachuk gets 5 x $7.5M and Rantanen gets 7 x $9M.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
If Marner is better, how come the consensus among experts was that he should and will be paid less? ...and now he agreed to be paid less? Hmmmm. Part of your theory doesn’t seem to make much sense.

Nobody credible believes Mitch Marner is better than Auston Matthews.
Lebrun says he was told marner would get 10.5

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Everyone and their mothers knew Marner was signing there. We were just hoping he'd take Dumbass to the back shed and **** him. And he did.

Barrie, Rielly, Andersen. There will be many cap casualties to come. And then of course the big 3 will be up for renewal after.

I think the Leafs need to win the cup 2-3 times within the next 5 years to justify these signings.
Your hate for the leafs amuses me. Making it sound like it's such a bad thing to have all these elite players to sign.

I bet you wish the habs had the same problem, but they dont have any players nearly as skilled and they couldn't overpay any skilled player to play there.

I'll take my teams situation over yours 10 times outta 10. Dont be so salty :laugh:

Reactions: hamzarocks

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Point $11.5M
Raantanen $11M
Laine $10 - $10.5M
Tkachuk $9.5 - $10M
Connor $8.5 - $9M
Boeser $8 - $8.5M

*all on 6 year deals

Take a mill off each and you are bang on I think good work. Only wild card is Point who may help TB with a three year at 8 or around there.

Point 3 year 8 mill
Rants 6 year 10-10.5
Laine 6 year 9 mill
Tkachik 6 year 8.5
Connor 7 year 7.5
Boeser 6 year 7.5

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
That’s actually, Ranantan.
Rantanen will get a lot more
Oh ok thanks fhiprbthe life changing vowel. You didn't catch my joke? The guy trolling before was saying $9 mil a year for two years but accidentally put a decimal in front. Oh well you can't win them all

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Your hate for the leafs amuses me. Making it sound like it's such a bad thing to have all these elite players to sign.

I bet you wish the habs had the same problem, but they dont have any players nearly as skilled and they couldn't overpay any skilled player to play there.

I'll take my teams situation over yours 10 times outta 10. Dont be so salty :laugh:

Yes, the Leafs and their streak of missing or losing in the 1st is so enviable. I wish the habs were like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad