With Emelin in, who's out?

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
A critical and telling coaching decision is upcoming this weekend: who will MT sit in favour of Emelin?

IMHO it should be Bouillon. I feel that Emelin will be eating many of the same minutes as Bouillon does, the most notable being on the 2nd PP wave next to Diaz.

That being said, I believe MT will sit Murray, even if I believe Murray offers more to the team, in his sheltered role, than Bouillon does overall.

I certainly want Murray to be available against the goon teams like Leafs, Bruins, Flyers, and a few others.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
Murray scratched, Emelin w/ Boullion

:shakehead What a joke our coach is. This franchise continually has ideas that a washed up 38 year old vet >>>> to have than developing a 1st round pick defenseman (Tinordi, Beaulieu). Golden boy Bouillon will be scratched perhaps if he brings down Emelin with him and Murray gets his shot but I doubt it. Any injuries and there's guaranteed no benchings for Frankie. Can a guy finish -25 on a playoff team and still manage 70-80 GP? Moron Therrien would probably scratch any of our dmen over Bou except Markov. Anyone else would ride the pine before Frankie if they played as poorly as Bouillon has.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL 1m

Alexei Emelin back in the lineup tonight - Douglas Murray will not play vs NY Rangers - Brendan Gallagher, game time decision (flu).

Like most of us figured. Someone has to take MT's Boubou away from him his infatuation with it is interfering with his work and hurting the team . . .

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
:shakehead What a joke our coach is. This franchise continually has ideas that a washed up 38 year old vet >>>> to have than developing a 1st round pick defenseman (Tinordi, Beaulieu). Golden boy Bouillon will be scratched perhaps if he brings down Emelin with him and Murray gets his shot but I doubt it. Any injuries and there's guaranteed no benchings for Frankie. Can a guy finish -25 on a playoff team and still manage 70-80 GP? Moron Therrien would probably scratch any of our dmen over Bou except Markov. Anyone else would ride the pine before Frankie if they played as poorly as Bouillon has.

Seriously, have you not seen how bad Murray is? In a perfect world neither him or Bouillon would be in the lineup, but at least Frankie Bou Bou doesn't take out his own goalie.

I know we need more toughness in the back end, but it's counter-productive if it comes from a guy who is a complete liability 90% of the time out there.

Emelin doesn't just take Murray out of the lineup, but he also takes away time from Bouillon...hopefully. In a perfect world, neither of them would be in our lineup.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Seriously, have you not seen how bad Murray is? In a perfect world neither him or Bouillon would be in the lineup, but at least Frankie Bou Bou doesn't take out his own goalie.

Not as bad as Cube. At least if things get crazy, I'd rather see him out there against the big boys. (Do you really want to see Prust fight 6'4 220 pound guys every night?)

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Not as bad as Cube. At least if things get crazy, I'd rather see him out there against the big boys. (Do you really want to see Prust fight 6'4 220 pound guys every night?)

There's an argument for playing Murray against a team like the Bruins (still as little as possible), who will be going for our goalie and have more size than speed.

The Rangers? The Rangers have gotten faster - and softer this year, this isn't the kind of game we should be expecting a brawl out of.

Really it's an automatic step up as long as one of them is out of the lineup, but against a team that we have traditionally matched up nice against like the Rags, I'd rather have the guy who can at least skate and handle the puck. It's not like Emelin makes our defense softer.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
There's an argument for playing Murray against a team like the Bruins (still as little as possible), who will be going for our goalie and have more size than speed.

The Rangers? The Rangers have gotten faster - and softer this year, this isn't the kind of game we should be expecting a brawl out of.

Really it's an automatic step up as long as one of them is out of the lineup, but against a team that we have traditionally matched up nice against like the Rags, I'd rather have the guy who can at least skate and handle the puck. It's not like Emelin makes our defense softer.

I agree. As I said previously, we should insert both Murray and Parros according to the team we are playing - goon team like Leafs, Booins, Flyers, Ottawa - we play the big boys. I don't care if we sit them ag. soft fast teams.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't love Bouillon, but if people don't see that Murray has clearly been worse...come on.

He has been pretty good on the PK. Hasn't been on for a PPGA despite averaging 2+ SHTOI/game in his 9 games. He also needs to play with Boullion. I'd want to at least see how he'd do on the left side of a Diaz.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Bouillon almost cost us the game last night this cant be real. He also almost lead the league with -10...

stupid.

tumblr_mv9nvqgWDg1shr61qo1_500.gif

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
While Murray is worse than Bouillon, I'm not sure scratching Murray over Bouillon is necessarily better. The thing is that Therrien KNOWS that Murray is bad and realizes that he must be used minimally. In consequence, Therrien is also forced to use PK Subban a lot more than usual. Therrien still see Bouillon as a valuable defenseman and so will be used in critical situations.

Would you rather have 10 minutes of Murray + 27-29 minutes of Subban or 18 minutes of Bouillon + 20-24 minutes of Subban?

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
I feel like when Emelin gets up to speed, and gets moved up to the 2nd pairing, you'll see a Diaz-Murray third pairing. With this being Emelin's first game back from injury, it'd be best for him to be paired with someone a little more mobile than Murray

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So Therrien decided to bench Murray. It's too bad, I'm curious how Murray could have done with a better D-partner. Diaz-Murray could be a decent third pairing.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Can't wait for the day that Frankie isn't on the PP but our 3rd pairing D isn't what's killing us

We have the 3rd best GAA in the NHL and sit in a tie for 16th in the standings cause we can't score 5 on 5, unless we address issues upfront you could replace Cube with Shea Weber and we'll still be lucky to make the playoffs

Lionel Mandrake

I know we need more toughness in the back end, but it's counter-productive if it comes from a guy who is a complete liability 90% of the time out there.

Emelin doesn't just take Murray out of the lineup, but he also takes away time from Bouillon...hopefully. In a perfect world, neither of them would be in our lineup.

The way I see it is Bouillon and Murray are equally bad 5-on-5, but Murray is a good PKer and brings the intimidation our backend lacks. On top of that getting Bouillon off the PP is addition by substraction. I agree though both should be out of the lineup. I'd rather give an other shot to one of Tinordi/Beaulieu/Pateryn. It's not like this team is destined to great things this year anyway. Might as well develop a kid.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
Which Defensemen Scenario do you Prefer?

With the return of Emelin, one of Bouillon and Murray will consistently sit out games. Which of the following scenarios regarding our defensemen do you prefer?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Tinordi's ready. He should be in the lineup. Worst case scenario he makes the same mistakes Bouillion would but he learns from it.

Beaulieu is clearly not ready yet.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
I would like a rotation depending on what kind of team we are facing. Physical teams should be handled by Murray while the faster puck moving teams should go to Bouillon.

We could eventually give another chance to Tinordi as well but there is no reason to rush him up yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad