TV: Witcher TV Series

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Nah, don't have time. Besides, I write, I don't read.
I took audio books out from the library and listened to them while I was driving/shopping/cooking/cleaning. Though I wouldn't say they're books you go out of your way for if you don't really read, but it's easy enough to do these days.

For the series though? I loved the 1st season. 2nd season was... just okay so pretty disappointing. Trying to remember what specifically happened in it which isn't a good sign as I tend to follow stories really well on one viewing/reading. From the looks of the season 3 trailer I get the impression it's going where I thought season 2 would end up.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I haven't watched it yet, but it's a bit funny that it came out 3 days ago and the thread is only now getting bumped. It seems like I'm not the only one who's not very excited for it when we know that Cavill is leaving the show over it not being very faithful.

44% audience score on RT, even worse than Season 2, isn't a good sign, either.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
No reason to watch a show where the writers dislike the material and are just being paid to write glorified fanfiction.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I haven't watched it yet, but it's a bit funny that it came out 3 days ago and the thread is only now getting bumped. It seems like I'm not the only one who's not very excited for it when we know that Cavill is leaving the show over it not being very faithful.

I’ll watch it eventually but the whole main character leaving has really put a damper on things.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think I'm on episode 4 and to me the storytelling is much smoother and tighter than in the previous seasons. From a non-book reader's perspective, this is so far the better than last season.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Diclaimer: streaming content Audience Score is unverified so there's no way of knowing if the person giving the score even watched the show.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Diclaimer: streaming content Audience Score is unverified so there's no way of knowing if the person giving the score even watched the show.
The same goes for the IMDb scores that you often cite. There's no reason to think that the audience score in this case isn't close to genuine, though. Season 2 has a 58% rotten score and there wasn't any reason for people to vote that down without seeing it, since Season 1 has an 89%. If that's legit, then a further drop to 44% is believable. Also, the reviews that describe what they don't like about the season are mostly low scores and corroborate the overall rating. Finally, it doesn't make sense for fans to try to bring down the score of this when they're not bothering for the Dial of Destiny, which people are a lot more upset about.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The same goes for the IMDb scores that you often cite. There's no reason to think that the audience score in this case isn't close to genuine, though. Season 2 has a 58% rotten score and there wasn't any reason for people to vote that down without seeing it, since Season 1 has an 89%. If that's legit, then a further drop to 44% is believable. Also, the reviews that describe what they don't like about the season are mostly low scores and corroborate the overall rating. Finally, it doesn't make sense for fans to try to bring down the score of this when they're not bothering for the Dial of Destiny, which people are a lot more upset about.
The book readers are the ones voting down. I'm not one of them so I don't see a reason for downvoting, so far.

IMDB has accounted for downvoting via weighted scoring.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The book readers are the ones voting down. I'm not one of them so I don't see a reason for downvoting, so far.
There's also no reason to believe that those book readers are voting it down without watching it. They're the ones who would watch it just in case some of it is faithful to the books.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I've actually enjoyed parts of this season, making it a little bittersweet that the Cavill run will end right as I find investment again.

I will say that episode 5 teetered between good and bad, but I think I just had a pet peeve. The metronome effect between flashback and present uncovering details was very pleasant, even though it's really clear from the first go round that's what they're doing, I liked each layer.

The "all is not as it seems" song or whatever playing over and over and over again was annoyingly heavy handed and every time it started again I was like "yeah, I know, I f***ing got that a long time ago, it was already obvious before the first time we heard the song" and then just got worse and worse...

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
It's an improvement on season 2, but it would be hard not to be because that was a hot mess.

It's still not close to the quality of season 1 sadly, which is a shame because the main cast certainly deserved better than they've been given with the way this has developed

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
The main problem this series has to me is it seems like they can't decide what it wants to be. Whether it's telling the actual story from the books or having Geralt tackle a different monster each episode like Scooby Doo or the Pokemon anime or something.

They flip flop back and forth between the two and it affects the pacing. They can't make the geopolitics exciting enough so they have to throw in Geralt fighting a monster to have some action.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It's not The Witcher.

It's The Heroic Female Side Characters That Nobody Cares About Show.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It's not The Witcher.

It's The Heroic Female Side Characters That Nobody Cares About Show.
You're talking about the video game here. While the show writers may not be honouring the books this is what the show is based on and unlike the games had as much Ciri & Yennifer as it does Geralt.

Or for the main story at least, which was the bulk of the series. The first two books were a collection of Witcher Geralt short stories going from fairy tale to fairy tale, and the final book was an extended Witcher Geralt throwback set before the main story.

Reactions: CanesUltimate11

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Oh, such innocence...
You're proving that you made it up completely by not having a better counterargument. FYI, the IMDb scores for the 5 episodes so far are pretty bad, as well, and you just argued that IMDb compensates for downvoting with weighted scoring.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You're proving that you made it up completely by not having a better counterargument. FYI, the IMDb scores for the 5 episodes so far are pretty bad, as well, and you just argued that IMDb compensates for downvoting with weighted scoring.
Most important question: have you watched any of season 3?

And it's pretty apparent IMDB compensates only so much when the downvoting is this heavy: "The Witcher" Reunion (TV Episode 2023) - Ratings - IMDb It's clear none of those downvoters even watched the episode.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Most important question: have you watched any of season 3?

And it's pretty apparent IMDB compensates only so much when the downvoting is this heavy: "The Witcher" Reunion (TV Episode 2023) - Ratings - IMDb It's clear none of those downvoters even watched the episode.
No, I haven't, but that doesn't matter, nor does it matter that you've watched it and liked it. You liking it is not proof that downvoters never watched it.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
No, I haven't, but that doesn't matter, nor does it matter that you've watched it and liked it. You liking it is not proof that downvoters never watched it.
giphy.gif

It's like you've never seen a prospect play but insist that prospect sucks.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I didn't read the source material so I didn't mind what we were getting in the first two seasons. But swapping Cavill out is just...
I've had zero desire to get started with this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad