TV: Witcher TV Series

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Pretty much this. Unless season 3 gets some great reviews I won't even bother watching that at this point, much less a season 4.

With a series like this you have to cater to the fandom and stay more faithful to the source material within reason. If the writers had it in them to create a compelling story deviating from the existing lore they would have shown it in the first two seasons. Cavills performance and identification with the role was compensating for some of the flaws in the writing department and generated a sizable share of the hype surrounding the show in season 1. Netflix should just have fired the showrunner instead, if it would have helped to keep its main star on board.

Reactions: Kurtz

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm on episode 2 and I'm somewhat entertained, though that might be due to seeing Sir Lenny Henry in another fantasy project inside a year and quite a memorable entrance by the dwarf lady character. It definitely doesn't feel like it's on par with the main show.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Everyone seems to hate Blood Origin, but I thought it was decent and entertaining. Maybe not knowing the games or books helps. Sounds like all the "real" fans are out on it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I liked it, was a great way to see the origins of the witchers and what brought/merge worlds of monsters together with elves, humans and even dwarves.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Looked at IMDb and was scared that 4.5 would be a total waste of time - it was not, I'd expect this to have something in the 6+ range tbh. Overall fine, not awesome but certainly watchable and entertaining to some degree. The first episode felt a little too cookie cutter but it got better. I haven't read any of the lore or played the games so no idea if this was how it goes, but seemed plausible and gave some good backstory to the main series.

Reactions: Jussi and beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Looked at IMDb and was scared that 4.5 would be a total waste of time - it was not, I'd expect this to have something in the 6+ range tbh. Overall fine, not awesome but certainly watchable and entertaining to some degree. The first episode felt a little too cookie cutter but it got better. I haven't read any of the lore or played the games so no idea if this was how it goes, but seemed plausible and gave some good backstory to the main series.
Exactly what I feel. I keep meaning to read the books but have not had the chance as my list of stuff I want to get to is soooo long and maybe if I had I'd have a different opinion but meh.

Reactions: Jussi

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Exactly what I feel. I keep meaning to read the books but have not had the chance as my list of stuff I want to get to is soooo long and maybe if I had I'd have a different opinion but meh.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I don't think it's a coincidence that people who liked it are people who don't know the lore. The games are fanfiction too but it's done right and in tune with the books. This is the complete opposite.

The "elves" might as well have been humans because they acted just like them just with pointy ears.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah, I didn't mind watching it. It was "well done", overall not as good as the main series but I didn't mind watching the 4 episodes. I'd probably rate around 6½ or 7- /10

I don't think it's a coincidence that people who liked it are people who don't know the lore. The games are fanfiction too but it's done right and in tune with the books. This is the complete opposite.

The "elves" might as well have been humans because they acted just like them just with pointy ears.
I noticed something similar with Wheel Of Time. I was hooked on that show around episode 4 and noticed several Youtubers who also didn't know the books were too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad