TV: Witcher TV Series

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Netflix has begun production of a series based on author Andrzej Sapkowski's Witcher books.

To clarify that statement a bit more, the upcoming Netflix series will be based on the original Witcher novels and is not directly related to the CD Projekt Red video game franchise aside from the similarities that the two naturally share.
That fact adds a slightly humorous twist to this announcement when you consider that Sapkowski recently spoke out against the artistic merit of the Witcher game saga by calling into question the medium's ability to properly tell such a grand story. Before that, Sapkowski also admitted that he chose not to take a percentage for the adaptation rights, which he later came to regret when the series went on to gross over a billion dollars.

The Witcher TV Series: Netflix Orders Eight Episode Season

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Im not surprised by that, it was said from the start that it was based on the novels and though i haven't read them, I've heard that
everything that happens in the games is after the books. Where geralt died at the end of the novels, they retconned it to have him just go into a coma and lose his memory

I've heard great things about the books though. Will be interested to see it.

And regarding him being bitter, hey, I'd be bitter if I missed out on a billion dollar money train too.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
If Doug Cockle looked the part he would be a good choice. You need an actor who is comfortable acting entirely in deadpan, which isn’t very easy to find. A good place to look would be actors Netflix has experience with, like Joel Kinnaman.

And Sapkowski is a bit of an asshat. Haven’t really read much about him that would suggest he’s anything but a massive tool with an ego the size of Jupiter. He’ll probably hate this too.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
If Doug Cockle looked the part he would be a good choice. You need an actor who is comfortable acting entirely in deadpan, which isn’t very easy to find. A good place to look would be actors Netflix has experience with, like Joel Kinnaman.

And Sapkowski is a bit of an asshat. Haven’t really read much about him that would suggest he’s anything but a massive tool with an ego the size of Jupiter. He’ll probably hate this too.
He'll probably have a good reason to.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This will be the next Game of Thrones.

I'm a huge Witcher fan, but I think that's a stretch. The source material is not even close to Game of Thrones, especially given that it's basically just a collection of short stories (which lent itself well to the video games, as they can be used for quests and whatnot). The video games definitely helped build the story arc and lore, though. One of the main differences between the Witcher and Game of Thrones is that GoT had dozens of characters, all believable and with their own motives, which culminated for this fantastic conclusion of everyone coming together. The Witcher will have what, 6 or 7 big characters?

I think Amazon's Lord of the Rings will be the next Game of Thrones, given how much better the source material is.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Perfect. Getting a hollow shell of an actor to play a hollow shell of a character. Cavill can't act, but he won't need to given Geralt doesn't show emotion.

Let's be real. Geralt as a chracter sucks ass. It's the world around him/supporting characters that make him interesting.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I'm a huge Witcher fan, but I think that's a stretch. The source material is not even close to Game of Thrones, especially given that it's basically just a collection of short stories (which lent itself well to the video games, as they can be used for quests and whatnot). The video games definitely helped build the story arc and lore, though. One of the main differences between the Witcher and Game of Thrones is that GoT had dozens of characters, all believable and with their own motives, which culminated for this fantastic conclusion of everyone coming together. The Witcher will have what, 6 or 7 big characters?

I think Amazon's Lord of the Rings will be the next Game of Thrones, given how much better the source material is.
Isn't the series supposed to be based on the novels?

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Perfect. Getting a hollow shell of an actor to play a hollow shell of a character. Cavill can't act, but he won't need to given Geralt doesn't show emotion.

Let's be real. Geralt as a chracter sucks ass. It's the world around him/supporting characters that make him interesting.
In the short stories he does. Improves a lot in the novels though.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Isn't the series supposed to be based on the novels?

I think so, but I’d imagine they borrow from the video games as well given that’s what most of the audience will be familiar with.

I’ve only read half of the Last Wish and gave up as there are many better fantasy series out there.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I think so, but I’d imagine they borrow from the video games as well given that’s what most of the audience will be familiar with.

I’ve only read half of the Last Wish and gave up as there are many better fantasy series out there.
The games are set after the novels so they can't really borrow anything from them. At least I hope they don't try to shoehorn anything in.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
The last wish is a set of short stories. A long with 1 other book that I can't think of the name.

Then there's the novels which the series will be based on which has a more overarching story.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Cavill is a solid choice.

It's hard to properly compare the two because while Game of Thrones was widely read before the TV show, even the producers didn't expect the show to become one of the top TV dramas of the last 20 years. I can definitely say that the average person on the street had never heard of GoT before the show but that they compose the vast majority of the shows audience. You actually may have better initial brand awareness for the Witcher because W3 was a major and extremely well selling game.

I do agree that there's differences but that doesn't necessarily make it less likely to be as huge. It's unlikely unto itself because of how big GoT got, not because the Source material isn't worthy. They will be different shows, the Witcher revolves around Geralt and all the big characters are involved with him and GoT is more ensemble (though everything eventually relates back to Jon and Dany), but neither of those premises makes either show a better concept.

Reactions: HanSolo

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Casting looks like they want to make Ciri a 13 year old minority.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. If you say you're against it because the character is white then you get crapped on as a fan. But if this was reversed, like it has been recently with ScarJo and Emma Stone, then everyone is up in arms.

Extremely touchy subject. Basically they want to make a Witcher, all defined at pale skin and white hair, not pale skin and white haired.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I feel Cavill has improved. He's never gonna have much range but embracing imposing physicality and pairing with good facial expressions has helped. And he no longer delivers lines like Hayden doing Anakin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad