Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread Part II

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lacazette has Giroud and Benzema as competition for the NT's 9th. One is getting old and the other one is banned. He has missed his chance.
And the mess Arsenal has been for years, yes Lacazette is not benefiting from it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, I buy the he should get a run of matches, but it's not like he hasn't started or played for Arsenal. If you actually look at the matches, he has had a number of stretches (last season mainly) where he did feature or play most of the time. 8/24-10/27, (during 2019-2020) he basically played the majority of the match or was involved in it, for the full gap. He produced one goal, and two assists. Then, end of season, he played in 4 straight (though one was a 30 minute cameo), with no production. He also played the entire month of January/February, basically all the matches apart from one, and most of the time and produced 2 goals and a couple of assists. He has had a run of matches. Both with this manager, and not. He just hasn't really been the goods.

My other question, is who actually is paying for him, and what would Arsenal want? He went for 80 million. They're going to get 50-60 to see him off at least. That's not happening.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
But again, never has he seen a run of games like Willian. And yet he has produced more than him in the few (shorter) runs he had.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think that’s a bit misleading. Last year, Pepe got a run of matches. This year, he hasn’t been completely left out, but he’s also looked disinterested, wasted chances, and some stupid crap like head butt people. Willian also is experienced, and could be a bit of a mentor for a squad trying to show their way, and he might not have been great, but he looks like he cares. Pepe looks like he wants to be anywhere but in an Arsenal kit. We also have no idea what training looks like. But I do know Pepe is allergic to tracking back and work effort for Arsenal in matches it seems. Beyond dribbling at players, I’m not sure what he really wants to do. I don’t really know that Willian is great, but it isn’t really a matter of want to with him.

for what it’s worth, Arteta, also has a stake in Willian. He doesn’t have much of any in Pepe. If Pepe gets flogged off, well, that was before him.

Both of their stats are also awful. I’m not sure it’s much more than a one legged butt kicking contest.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
And at this point, I think this is plenty of wasted Arsenal talk.

Pepe has been a bust. Arsenal management has also been trash. Both of those things are related, but one didn’t cause the other.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Gabriel is the exception and not the norm. Pépé is not even a starter and he is far from the player he was at Lille. Saka has been starting lately and has done much better.
How many players has arsenal recently brought in from France and not played? Pepe looking worse in a harder league isn’t exactly proof of anything. Saka starting just shows that arsenal plays youth.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
How many players has arsenal recently brought in from France and not played? Pepe looking worse in a harder league isn’t exactly proof of anything. Saka starting just shows that arsenal plays youth.
They play youth? Until very recently they kept playing an ineffective Willian over Pépé or Saka and they still play limited players like Pablo Mari and Holding over Saliba. They only play youth as a last resort and/or when there is no one else to play.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And at this point, I think this is plenty of wasted Arsenal talk.

Pepe has been a bust. Arsenal management has also been trash. Both of those things are related, but one didn’t cause the other.
Pepe has one goal less than Auba in 1/3rd the playing time.
So Pepe sucks, but apparently Auba sucks even more.
That's not related to management?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
They play youth? Until very recently they kept playing an ineffective Willian over Pépé or Saka and they still play limited players like Pablo Mari and Holding over Saliba. They only play youth as a last resort and/or when there is no one else to play.
Get what you are going for here but Pablo Mari has been great since coming to Arsenal. He was good pre-injury and has played wells since returning despite being out for so long.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That's bullshit. They've started Saka consistently, Willock, Nelson, AMN, Nketiah, and ESR have all played a fair amount.

Reactions: AB13

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Pepe has one goal less than Auba in 1/3rd the playing time.
So Pepe sucks, but apparently Auba sucks even more.
That's not related to management?
Yeah, Auba has been pretty garbage this year. Also, Pepe has been a bust. He's a decent enough player, but his price tag is astronomical

Reactions: robertmac43

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
That's bullshit. They've started Saka consistently, Willock, Nelson, AMN, Nketiah, and ESR have all played a fair amount.
It all goes back to French players regressing at Arsenal. They have no problem playing British youth but the like of Guendouzi, Pépé and Saliba are not given a fair shake. Guendouzi is making a fool out of the club with the way he has been playing in Germany but obviously the player is the problem. I bet they sell Pépé and he returns to form exposing the club's failure even more.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What kind of nonsense is this. Why would Arsenal buy French players if they have some sort of agenda against them? What irrationality is that? Pepe isn't a youth player guy is in his mid 20s. The other two I cant and won't defend but there is no hidden agenda towards a certain nation. Unless Arsenal is cover for an Alzheimer's institution.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
What kind of nonsense is this. Why would Arsenal buy French players if they have some sort of agenda against them? What irrationality is that? Pepe isn't a youth player guy is in his mid 20s. The other two I cant and won't defend but there is no hidden agenda towards a certain nation. Unless Arsenal is cover for an Alzheimer's institution.
Indeed why would they buy French players if not to play them? Weird decisions is why they have been trending downwards for years.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It all goes back to French players regressing at Arsenal. They have no problem playing British youth but the like of Guendouzi, Pépé and Saliba are not given a fair shake. Guendouzi is making a fool out of the club with the way he has been playing in Germany but obviously the player is the problem. I bet they sell Pépé and he returns to form exposing the club's failure even more.
Guendouzi, to be fair, played a ton, even under Arteta, until he did some stupid stuff and there was locker room drama. Pepe had a decent run out but hasn't lived up to his price tag. Saliba, I'll grant. They have no problem playing British youth because that's primarily the youth they have given the strength of their academy. It's not like Gabriel and Martinelli are ancient, either.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It all goes back to Yaya Sanogo

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Never said they had an agenda you made that up all on your own.

“French players regressing at Arsenal, arsenal don’t mind playing British youth”. (Is arteta British?) “ pepe/Mateo and Salbia not getting a fair shake”.... implying it’s because they’re French.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
“French players regressing at Arsenal, arsenal don’t mind playing British youth”. (Is arteta British?) “ pepe/Mateo and Salbia not getting a fair shake”.... implying it’s because they’re French.
It is pretty simple really. A lot of French players are attracted to Arsenal because of the Wenger years where the likes of Henry and Vieira were stars for that team. Their recent track record with French player leaves a lot to be desired and they should simply not head there for their own good. In fact Arsenal recent record of developing any talent regardless of nationality is pretty damn terrible.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It is pretty simple really. A lot of French players are attracted to Arsenal because of the Wenger years where the likes of Henry and Vieira were stars for that team. Their recent track record with French player leaves a lot to be desired and they should simply not head there for their own good. In fact Arsenal recent record of developing any talent regardless of nationality is pretty damn terrible.
You can see there's a big difference in what you said here as opposed to what you originally said no? I mean no one should want their prospects to head there or anywhere else that's on fire but that's obvious.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't think Arteta has a bias against french players. He lived in France a long time too.
I think he has a bias against players he didn't choose. And a blind bias towards the players he chose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad