Transfer: Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion - October-December

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
They’ve definitely been rumored by the papers. I think they’ll remain an option for a player like Bellingham more than Arsenal or Spurs, who don’t have the money. The crux is UCL. It’s needed, otherwise I can’t see it happening. Same for Liverpool and Chelsea.
I mean it’s not necessarily needed. Didn’t matter to Casemiro, Lisandro, Antony, etc.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean it’s not necessarily needed. Didn’t matter to Casemiro, Lisandro, Antony, etc.
True but I think Pavel is right here. Casemiro won his CL he was looking for a payday.

Lisandro/ANthony went because of their relationship with Ten Hag.

Jude will have many suitors and he will get both $$$ and CL footy. Not one or the other.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
True but I think Pavel is right here. Casemiro won his CL he was looking for a payday.

Lisandro/ANthony went because of their relationship with Ten Hag.

Jude will have many suitors and he will get both $$$ and CL footy. Not one or the other.
No definitely and he’s not wrong by any stretch. It’s more complicated and not so black and white. There’s been multiple players that have joined United when right now the CL is up in the air. United is one of the few times that have the capability and lack of care to throw way too much money at him. I think it’s dumb to just write off United because of no CL right now. I agree he’s not coming to United in their current state but it’s not because of no CL, its because they’re incompetent.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
They’ve definitely been rumored by the papers. I think they’ll remain an option for a player like Bellingham more than Arsenal or Spurs, who don’t have the money. The crux is UCL. It’s needed, otherwise I can’t see it happening. Same for Liverpool and Chelsea.
Of course they've been rumored by the papers. United has a massive fan base and them being in rumors sells copies/drive clicks. It's why you also saw every couple weeks that United was going to try to rival City for Haaland or other similar things even though everyone knew it was absurd.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Of course they've been rumored by the papers. United has a massive fan base and them being in rumors sells copies/drive clicks. It's why you also saw every couple weeks that United was going to try to rival City for Haaland or other similar things even though everyone knew it was absurd.
Similar to the article I saw yesterday where Liverpool's top priority is Bellingham, but are also interested in Musiala. :laugh:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
In some cases, thats true.

For Bellingham, I doubt it. Lisandro and Antony were wanted specifically by the manager. Every good team in the world wasn't banging down the door to sign them. Casemiro, the rare case where money completely ruled the day. Real also had brought in replacements, so they were more than willing to part ways with him. And he had also won everything at Real (a lot of things many times), so maybe he also wanted a new challenge.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Yeah he'd fit right in beside Sterling and Mount.

Yuck.

Smellingham can go and take his overspoken talents to Liverpool please. Rice can go to United as well.

Much more technically compact midfielders out there that would suit Potter ball more neatly.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So if I get this right.
Everybody thought it would be Saudi Arabian that would purchase their way to to the top of EPL.
Now it's obvious it will be an American.
It’ll be both. And of course our friends at Man City

Yuck.

Smellingham can go and take his overspoken talents to Liverpool please. Rice can go to United as well.

Much more technically compact midfielders out there that would suit Potter ball more neatly.
How long term exactly do you expect Potter to be there?

Similar to the article I saw yesterday where Liverpool's top priority is Bellingham, but are also interested in Musiala. :laugh:
Bellingham everyone knows. Musiala is just a name to bring up. He’s not available and he’s certainly not going to cost much less than Bellingham. Believe he is HGP too so he’ll get the England tax too. It’s another nine figure transfer and that’s if Bayern want to play ball.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Everyone talking about United is entirely joking.
No they aren’t and let’s not pretend otherwise.

Does it really matter if they’re going to target all the biggest transfers? You hire an under the radar director if your goal is to target under the radar talent. You can hire anybody if you’re just going to go after the biggest transfers in football.

I think Boehly just wants to look like he knows what he’s doing. He decided he likes the Red Bull model, namely it seems like for their satellite club system, so now he wants anyone associated with that. None of which seems to have impacted his goal of splashing £500M on new players.
Everyone likes the Red Bull model. I’m not sure I’d settle on like my third choice target on Red Bull just to get someone in from them but that hasn’t exactly stopped Chelsea before.

Boehly is one of the Dodgers owners, so London Dodgers fits better, especially with how they aggressively go after talent.
Given how they don’t care about spending money. :)

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
It’ll be both. And of course our friends at Man City

How long term exactly do you expect Potter to be there?

Bellingham everyone knows. Musiala is just a name to bring up. He’s not available and he’s certainly not going to cost much less than Bellingham. Believe he is HGP too so he’ll get the England tax too. It’s another nine figure transfer and that’s if Bayern want to play ball.

Under Boehly? I'd expect for the long haul barring Chelsea don't finish like 10th or something. This isn't the Roman era anymore and Todd Boehly has already found success as owner of another sports team by building a foundation of smart analytic driven individuals and then giving them time to see their project through. He values the importance of continuity and hierarchy a lot more than the previous regime ever did.

Here's a really interesting thread if you've got a couple minutes.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
No they aren’t and let’s not pretend otherwise.

Everyone likes the Red Bull model. I’m not sure I’d settle on like my third choice target on Red Bull just to get someone in from them but that hasn’t exactly stopped Chelsea before.

Given how they don’t care about spending money. :)
If you don’t believe that the people here saying Bellingham going to United is anything more than a joke or blind optimism, man I don’t know what to tell you.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If you don’t believe that the people here saying Bellingham going to United is anything more than a joke or blind optimism, man I don’t know what to tell you.
It’s neither a joke nor blind optimism. They will certainly be in the race. They aren’t the favorites but it’s not like they will let the money get in the way. It’s not going to be cost prohibitive for them, so they have a chance. And they’ve already done a lot of work on the player. Would be silly to write them off.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It’s neither a joke nor blind optimism. They will certainly be in the race. They aren’t the favorites but it’s not like they will let the money get in the way. It’s not going to be cost prohibitive for them, so they have a chance. And they’ve already done a lot of work on the player. Would be silly to write them off.
United is incompetent as hell. There is no chance he is going to United.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
United being incompetent hasn’t stopped them before.
Stop getting my hopes up just to break my heart.

No but you mention the past work they’ve done well basically everyone that did that work is gone. You can’t write them off for sure just because they are one of the few teams that can and will write a blank check but I think with a player like Bellingham were everyone wants him BAD and most teams have a need for him, it won’t happen. The blank check won’t matter.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Stop getting my hopes up just to break my heart.

No but you mention the past work they’ve done well basically everyone that did that work is gone. You can’t write them off for sure just because they are one of the few teams that can and will write a blank check but I think with a player like Bellingham were everyone wants him BAD and most teams have a need for him, it won’t happen. The blank check won’t matter.
Blank check matters because that’s their admission ticket. Have to be in it to win it. There are maybe a half dozen teams with a chance. United are absolutely one of them. Let’s not pretend they aren’t.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Blank check matters because that’s their admission ticket. Have to be in it to win it. There are maybe a half dozen teams with a chance. United are absolutely one of them. Let’s not pretend they aren’t.
You’re right they have a chance but teams that would be interested would probably be City, Pool, United, RM, Barca, PSG, Juve, Bayern, Arsenal, Inter

Think the teams that could actually afford him are the first 6 and MAYBE Arsenal. If we are talking percentages I’d probably put RM at like 25%, City at like 20%, Pool at about 20%, Barca at like 15, 10 for United, 5 for Arsenal, and 5 for the rest.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Right now, Uniteds priorities for next summer are GK, RB and ST. We still need more quality in midfield because Eriksson and Bruno can't play every game, but at least we've got some quality starters now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The teams that could sign Bellingham are City, Chelsea, Liverpool, United, PSG, Madrid, and Barcelona.

City will always be a factor to sign a top player. They certainly have the money and a great project to attract players. Aside from Haaland though, they tend to not spend the really huge sums on players.

Chelsea, Liverpool, and United all could afford him, but will need to qualify for UCL to have a chance. I think there’s a good chance only one of them qualify, and almost certainly not all three, so at least one of the three and potentially two of the three will be eliminated like that.

But who knows what the new Chelsea approach will be? Liverpool has been reluctant to make that huge purchase of some of the other big teams in England, and then United have so many problems that he might not be a main target and Bellingham might not be interested.

Real can afford him, but they’ve spent a lot on young midfielders the last few seasons. Will they try to sign him? Barcelona seemingly can afford anyone, but they have a lot of midfielders anyway and a few around the same age as Bellingham. PSG can afford Bellingham and will likely try to make a pitch, but I don’t think they’re the best at signing the non-galaticos or mid level youngsters. Most players do not want to be playing in that league.

You could name a few others that could technically afford him, but there’s no chance we’re selling to Bayern and Juventus almost certainly will not be in for him and haven’t been rumored.

He also might stay. There’s a good chance he will. I will feel that much more confident he stays if Arsenal and Spurs both make UCL. City would be a threat and then whoever else makes UCL, but those teams might not try to sign him anyway.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You’re right they have a chance but teams that would be interested would probably be City, Pool, United, RM, Barca, PSG, Juve, Bayern, Arsenal, Inter

Think the teams that could actually afford him are the first 6 and MAYBE Arsenal. If we are talking percentages I’d probably put RM at like 25%, City at like 20%, Pool at about 20%, Barca at like 15, 10 for United, 5 for Arsenal, and 5 for the rest.
I don’t think it’s that many. Juve, Bayern and Inter aren’t making that move. Chelsea would though. I wouldn’t put percentages out there. It’s going to be like when LeBron James went to free agency. You need X money to get a meeting and then it goes from there.
Right now, Uniteds priorities for next summer are GK, RB and ST. We still need more quality in midfield because Eriksson and Bruno can't play every game, but at least we've got some quality starters now.
United’s priority is to make the biggest headline. If they have a chance at Jude he becomes #1.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Some reporting today in Chelsea circles that Mount’s rumored deal isn’t seen as automatic anymore due to wage demands.

They haven’t gotten closer to a deal.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Arsenal could afford him if they decide to prioritize him. Midfielder is really the only spot we need someone. With some outgoings (Cedric, Mari, Nelson, etc) we should have a decent war chest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad