OT - NO POLITICS Winter Olympics - NO politics - Peter Cehlarik eliminates Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I feel bad for Trusova, I actually kinda like that nearly-insane uber-competitiveness attitude, honestly. That "if you ain't first, you're last" feeling. Girl's been pushing it to the limit on everything and just can't seem to get gold, always inched out by someone else. Reminds me of when Lias Andersson threw his world junior silver medal away and traditionalists lost their shit over it. But I find that ambition somewhat alluring, like I want to root for them.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The coach has a history of retiring skaters when they hit 17

The Eteri Expiration Date: Kamila Valieva and Russia's quest for figure skating gold

Prominent Russian coaches have gone so far as to refer to Tutberidze's athletes as "disposable" or "perishable goods," and see her as trading on her athletes' health in exchange for medals for Russia. Fans lament the so-called "Eteri expiration date," around age 17, when her athletes are often forced into retirement by injury and diminishing results. (Insider reached out to Tutberidze, who declined to be interviewed during a busy preparation period.)

Excessive pressure to compete at a young age shortens skaters' careers, and deprives athletes of being able to mature into fully-developed artists, according to Benoit Richaud, the leading choreographer among quad-less competitors.

"Eteri was smart in her approach: she was first to find a method to teach quad jumps to girls, and the method works, but only until age 17. What are skaters supposed to do then?"

As a young teen, Tutberidze's own competitive career was brought to an abrupt halt by an early growth spurt that left her injured.

After failing to find a coach willing to train her to jump, she switched to ice dance and signed on for a 36-city U.S. tour with the Russian Ice Ballet.

When visa trouble and disappeared investors left them stranded and penniless in Oklahoma City, they found themselves in 1995 at the Oklahoma City YMCA.

On April 19, 1995, when a bomb was set off at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building – just across the street from the YMCA – the entire troupe barely escaped with their lives. Tutberidze said she emerged from the building still holding her toothbrush, only to find a chaotic scene of injured people and cars on fire. Their names are among the 600 inscribed in granite on the "Survivor Wall," at the Oklahoma City National Memorial.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The coach has a history of retiring skaters when they hit 17

The Eteri Expiration Date: Kamila Valieva and Russia's quest for figure skating gold

Prominent Russian coaches have gone so far as to refer to Tutberidze's athletes as "disposable" or "perishable goods," and see her as trading on her athletes' health in exchange for medals for Russia. Fans lament the so-called "Eteri expiration date," around age 17, when her athletes are often forced into retirement by injury and diminishing results. (Insider reached out to Tutberidze, who declined to be interviewed during a busy preparation period.)

Excessive pressure to compete at a young age shortens skaters' careers, and deprives athletes of being able to mature into fully-developed artists, according to Benoit Richaud, the leading choreographer among quad-less competitors.

"Eteri was smart in her approach: she was first to find a method to teach quad jumps to girls, and the method works, but only until age 17. What are skaters supposed to do then?"

As a young teen, Tutberidze's own competitive career was brought to an abrupt halt by an early growth spurt that left her injured.

After failing to find a coach willing to train her to jump, she switched to ice dance and signed on for a 36-city U.S. tour with the Russian Ice Ballet.

When visa trouble and disappeared investors left them stranded and penniless in Oklahoma City, they found themselves in 1995 at the Oklahoma City YMCA.

On April 19, 1995, when a bomb was set off at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building – just across the street from the YMCA – the entire troupe barely escaped with their lives. Tutberidze said she emerged from the building still holding her toothbrush, only to find a chaotic scene of injured people and cars on fire. Their names are among the 600 inscribed in granite on the "Survivor Wall," at the Oklahoma City National Memorial.
She's heinous

Reactions: BMC and bbfan419

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Russian skating coach basically sounds like the winter olympic equivalent of Bela Karolyi's wife.

toria13

Sep 18, 2019
I love figure skating, have ever since I was little and I was so disgusted that I didn't even watch the women's final.

IMO this is one of the worst results I could have imagined. CAS lets Kamila skate for some absolutely BS reason. IOC lets their displeasure be known by basically acting as if Kamila is not skating (extra skater qualifying, no medal ceremony if Kamila places top three), Kamila is in the lead after the SP, people are (understandably) furious, and then she bombs the free and finishes off the podium.

At least if she had medaled all of the adults who made stupid decisions to get us here would have to reckon with the results of their actions (CAS, RUSFED, coaching team). Instead Kamila gets the consequences (to be clear, I'm not against her facing repercussions. I consider her to be the least responsible of those involved but I didn't think she should be allowed to skate), and the system that produced her and the adults responsible for her have two other teenagers to go 1, 2 on the podium.

I'm livid. I hope something results of this investigation but I have zero faith at this point.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad