OT - NO POLITICS Winter Olympics - NO politics - Peter Cehlarik eliminates Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
All this crying over a guy who couldn’t put together prolonged effort in the nhl every time he was given a shot.

The US never had a realistic shot at a medal pros or no pros. If you thought otherwise then you were living in dreamland.

Please fix the title back to the OT- Olympics.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
All this crying over a guy who couldn’t put together prolonged effort in the nhl every time he was given a shot.

The US never had a realistic shot at a medal pros or no pros. If you thought otherwise then you were living in dreamland.

Please fix the title back to the OT- Olympics.

Yup, he's proved he's effective against lower level opponents, that's nothing new, NHL not so much.

This tournament is AHL all stars game at best and that's about it, could not care less honestly. The only interesting thing about is if anyone's able to beat Russia.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yup, he's proved he's effective against lower level opponents, that's nothing new, NHL not so much.

This tournament is AHL all stars game at best and that's about it, could not care less honestly. The only interesting thing about is if anyone's able to beat Russia.
I didn’t care much about the mens tournament except to see Krejci at least once. The women is another story.

I had interest in figure skating where the US had legit contenders in all but the individual women’s event, women’s hockey and I always find curling, skiing and speed skating interesting.

The Olympics wasn’t the same without the pros playin.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I didn’t care much about the mens tournament except to see Krejci at least once. The women is another story.

I had interest in figure skating where the US had legit contenders in all but the individual women’s event, women’s hockey and I always find curling, skiing and speed skating interesting.

The Olympics wasn’t the same without the pros playin.

Same here about the Krejci thing but all in all, i can't wait for games to come back to Europe or North America again, schedule hours back to normal (for us) and just for the entire feel about them and possibly full stands again, no restrictions etc, nothing to do with politics or any other factor.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Same here about the Krejci thing but all in all, i can't wait for games to come back to Europe or North America again, schedule hours back to normal (for us) and just for the entire feel about them and possibly full stands again, no restrictions etc, nothing to do with politics or any other factor.
2026 Winter is in Milan and 2024 Summer is in Paris so those should be a great return to normal

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
he just didn't have the skating or the pace for the NHL IMO. Simple as that.

That's probably true. There are players who are not so quick or sharp on their skates in the NHL - Krejci and Pasta instantly spring to mind - but to get away with it you've got to have insanely good hands and read the play well. Cehlarik is decent in those departments but it's not enough. NHL hockey is really a quite particular, you could almost say rigid, brand of the game. A lot of Euros can adapt to it but some can't. A guy like Krej who basically was able to keep his more Eurocentric natural style and still thrive in the NHL is extremely rare.

KrazyLegs

Registered Dude
Jun 12, 2011
Westminster, MA

There were a few up-and-coming college players, too.

Last edited:

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Have to think with Sanderson running the PP for the USA would have been better. Especially the 5v3. Matty Beniers on the bench during the 5v3 and OT was a mind boggling decision. 46 freakin seconds left...that just was a gut punch.

KrazyLegs

Registered Dude
Jun 12, 2011
Westminster, MA
Have to think with Sanderson running the PP for the USA would have been better. Especially the 5v3. Matty Beniers on the bench during the 5v3 and OT was a mind boggling decision. 46 freakin seconds left...that just was a gut punch.

To have a 5 on 3 and not have one good shot on goal is mind boggling.

If you don't score, you should at least be peppering the net and have the goalie standing on his head.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
That's probably true. There are players who are not so quick or sharp on their skates in the NHL - Krejci and Pasta instantly spring to mind - but to get away with it you've got to have insanely good hands and read the play well. Cehlarik is decent in those departments but it's not enough. NHL hockey is really a quite particular, you could almost say rigid, brand of the game. A lot of Euros can adapt to it but some can't. A guy like Krej who basically was able to keep his more Eurocentric natural style and still thrive in the NHL is extremely rare.
yeah when I say "pace" i'm referring to his mental ability to process the game. Certainly a guy like Krejci didn't have impressive wheels, but he had vision and IQ to make plays at NHL speed. Cehlarik just didn't have that in addition to not having the wheels. He also always seemed like a noticeably passive player. You can get away with that if you're a Loui Eriksson type with high end defensive IQ but he didn't have that either.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad