OT - NO POLITICS Winter Olympics - NO politics - Peter Cehlarik eliminates Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
At least the Bruins players that will be in China will resume the season on the left coast.

Tuesday, February 1 vs. Seattle
Thursday, February 24 @ Seattle
Saturday, February 26 @ San Jose
Monday, February 28 @ Los Angeles
Tuesday, March 1 @ Anaheim
Thursday, March 3 @ Vegas
Saturday, March 5 @ Columbus

Hope they have to chance to see/be with their family in between. They will be away from home for a long time.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I've lost interest in the Olympics since they changed the rules and allow "professionals" to participate. I would much rather see a bunch of kids/unknowns overcome (think 1980) a supposed powerhouse. But hey, maybe that's just me.
Problem with that was they would let the pros from Russia and Europe play.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I liked the Olympics better when it was for amateurs. Now with professional players taking part I have zero interest.

Top that off with the 3 week pause and a condensed schedule, now it becomes down right irritating.

I get annoyed enough when every pauses for that All-Star nonsense.

Ya, I know it all sounds grouchy but that the way I see it.

Walkenthewalk

Dec 10, 2008
I liked the Olympics better when it was for amateurs. Now with professional players taking part I have zero interest.

Top that off with the 3 week pause and a condensed schedule, now it becomes down right irritating.

my sentiment exactly.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Watched every second in 2014, didn’t watch much in 2018. I will now be watching every second again

it’s not ideal that it’s in the middle of the season but IMO it’s worth it. It’s such a great event with elite talent playing for pride again. It’s very similar to March Madness to me

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I have mixed feelings but the Olympics is supposed to be the "best" players in the world so if that is the NHL players (as it may well be) than let them play.

I enjoy the winter Olympics .

May the best team win.

Reactions: bbfan419 and Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
One simple fact

Americans WATCH Olympic hockey in big numbers - In 2010 the Gold Medal game shattered records.

Canada's victory against Team USA in the Olympic gold-medal game Sunday night was the most-watched hockey game in the United States in 30 years.

The game drew an average viewership of 27.6 million, making it the most-watched hockey broadcast since the U.S. team beat Finland to win gold at 1980 Olympics. That game drew 32.8 million fans and came on the heels of the historic U.S. win against the U.S.S.R. in the "Miracle on Ice" game.

It was also the most watched television broadcast ever in Canadian history, with an average audience of 16.6 million viewers.

Nearly half of the Canadian population watched the entire game on average, while 80 percent of Canadians watched some part of the game (26.5 million). The game aired live on nine television networks in eight languages via Canada's Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium.

The game had a 15.2 rating with a 30 share, putting it far above the ratings for the 2002 gold medal game, when Canada beat Team USA. in Salt Lake City.

The game also was the highest-rated hockey game since the U.S. Finland 1980 match (23.2/61) The "Miracle on Ice" game had a rating of 23.9/37.

The audience for Sunday's game peaked at 34.8 million viewers from 5:30 6 p.m. ET, when Team USA's Zach Parise sent the game to overtime with the tying goal with just 24.4 seconds left in regulation. Canada's Sidney Crosby scored the winning goal for Canada at 7:40 of overtime.

The number of fans watching the gold medal game eclipsed a number of other major sports events this season, including the 2010 Rose Bowl (24.0 million), the 2009 World Series (22.8 million for Game 4, the most-watched game), the 2009 NCAA men's basketball championship game (17.6 million), the 2009 NBA Finals (16.0 million for Game 4, the most-watched game) and the 2010 Daytona 500 (16.0 million).

In individual markets, the game garnered the highest ratings in Buffalo, where U.S. goalie Ryan Miller plays (32.6/51) and Pittsburgh, Crosby's home NHL city (31.9/50). Rounding out the top five are Detroit (26.9/47), Minneapolis (26.4/53) and Milwaukee (24.5/43). In all, the game did better than a 20.0 rating in 11 major media markets, including Boston, Chicago, Columbus, Denver, Philadelphia and West Palm Beach, Fla.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I have personal distaste for the upcoming winter Olympics for a multitude of reasons that I will not get into here out of respect of the request of the moderators. But as for the NHL allowing back NHL players to play in the Olympics again, all I have to say is that it is about damn time. The fact that they were pulled out for 2018 was beyond stupid and their attempt at going behind the IIHF's back with their farcical international tournament in the World Cup of Hockey showed that. It's not to say that I hate the World Cup of Hockey, but to have it in place of the Olympics and not be willing to do an international break for the winter games because "muh all star game" was foolish on the part of the NHL. Glad they got this fixed and here's hoping, should the US show up in Beijing for 2022, we can win the whole damn thing this time and not come second to Canada again.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I have mixed feelings but the Olympics is supposed to be the "best" players in the world so if that is the NHL players (as it may well be) than let them play.

I enjoy the winter Olympics .

May the best team win.

Hate to disagree but the Olympics is supposed to be BEST AMATEUR players in the world. That's not what they do now but that's what it was originally.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Watched every second in 2014, didn’t watch much in 2018. I will now be watching every second again

it’s not ideal that it’s in the middle of the season but IMO it’s worth it. It’s such a great event with elite talent playing for pride again. It’s very similar to March Madness to me

2018 was enjoyable. The Germans made a great run

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I don’t see the problem. It’s not like we see less NHL games. Plus we get to see plays like Lemieux letting the pass go thru his legs to Kariya. Remember that one? Amazing.

Well, if your like me, you can't get enough of hockey. Summer break is way to long for me. I really would enjoy a Canada or World Cup mid summer to tie me over.

That said, you have to respect the players right to summer vacations after the grind of an NHL season.

Reactions: PlayMakers

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Well, if your like me, you can't get enough of hockey. Summer break is way to long for me. I really would enjoy a Canada or World Cup mid summer to tie me over.

That said, you have to respect the players right to summer vacations after the grind of an NHL season.
The plan is to have a World Cup every 4 years so every 2 years you will have an Olympcs or a World Cup

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Both the World Cup and Canada Cup were played during the summer when they didn't disrupt the NHL at all.

yea and now they are gimmicky as hell and cannot possibly represent best on best hockey. If hockey had a world cup such as soccer, then fine...but instead they went with having teams such as North american young stars and team europe. That killed any interest I had in that.

The Olympics are Hockeys only hope for a proper best on best tourney that doesn't include amateurs.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
yea and now they are gimmicky as hell and cannot possibly represent best on best hockey. If hockey had a world cup such as soccer, then fine...but instead they went with having teams such as North american young stars and team europe. That killed any interest I had in that.

The Olympics are Hockeys only hope for a proper best on best tourney that doesn't include amateurs.

Good points, I forgot about that gimmick BS they did last time.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

The Canada Cups were the only true best on best even before the Olympics. That 76 Canada Cup led by Bobby Orr was a thing of beauty and the world got to see the best player after he couldn't play in the 72 summit series.

I will never forget Larry Robinson saying just a couple of years ago that Orr was the best player who ever laced up skates.

He also went on to say Orr was the most difficult player he was paired with in his career because Robinson didn't know what to do and he never had that happen before. Said it took him a couple of games to figure out that he just had to let Bobby be Bobby and if he came to my side of the ice, just go to his. He closed the interview by saying the world was robbed of watching Orr play.

Yeah, times have changed and you can watch any player anywhere in the world now. But let's not co.pare those Canada Cups to the World Cup.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Hate to disagree but the Olympics is supposed to be BEST AMATEUR players in the world. That's not what they do now but that's what it was originally.

It's a long time since the Olympics was a true amateur competition. And that applies just as much in the individual sports as the team ones. For example, look at the swimmers representing countries like the USA and Australia - they're paid and funded by national, govt backed organisations, and essentially they are professional, full-time athletes who don't have other occupations other than often being students. And that's true in many sports, especially in the richer countries. You can almost literally buy medals - the countries that spend the most on their sports and athletics programs win the most bling.

While it's a shame it's like that, it is what it is and there's no going back, and in that context I see no problem with hockey at the Olympics featuring the best pro players. It doesn't go against the modern Olympic ethos, so we may as well have the very best talent competing and make the tournament as good, meaningful and entertaining as possible.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It's a long time since the Olympics was a true amateur competition. And that applies just as much in the individual sports as the team ones. For example, look at the swimmers representing countries like the USA and Australia - they're paid and funded by national, govt backed organisations, and essentially they are professional, full-time athletes who don't have other occupations other than often being students. And that's true in many sports, especially in the richer countries. You can almost literally buy medals - the countries that spend the most on their sports and athletics programs win the most bling.

While it's a shame it's like that, it is what it is and there's no going back, and in that context I see no problem with hockey at the Olympics featuring the best pro players. It doesn't go against the modern Olympic ethos, so we may as well have the very best talent competing and make the tournament as good, meaningful and entertaining as possible.

All that is undeniable and the reason I totally ignore both the summer and winter olympics . Just a money grab that ends up putting hosting nations in serious financial distress. Corruption surrounds the olympics at every level from organizers to the IOC to many of the athletes. Everyone turns a blind eye.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
All that is undeniable and the reason I totally ignore both the summer and winter olympics . Just a money grab that ends up putting hosting nations in serious financial distress. Corruption surrounds the olympics at every level from organizers to the IOC to many of the athletes. Everyone turns a blind eye.

And all that is also undeniable. And yet, I love it. As almost all Australians love it. We're raised on the triumphs and tragedies of Olympic competition. Our gold medallists are sporting heroes forever. The TV ratings for every Olympics are massive. We even love watching the Winter Olympics even though we completely suck at it. It's just how it is here.

We're not naïve, well most of us aren't anyway. The corruption of the IOC is pretty bleeding obvious, the disparity between rich and poor nations is stark, and the scourge of doping is always lurking. But the thing is, when you see the sheer joy and relief and pride of the medallists, often of even someone who has 'only' won a bronze, and you know that years of incredible effort and sacrifice have gone into that one event and that one piece of metal, and the stories that often come out of how that person got to that position, then all the corporatism and corruption behind the scenes simple ceases to matter. It's all about the moment and the willpower of the human spirit to excel, find our limits and then go beyond them. The enormous boost to national and personal morale that both Tokyo games have given this country in the midst of Covidized crisis is invaluable. There's definitely some rose-tinting in all that, but sometimes you just have to drop the cynicism and enjoy what's put in front of you. It gives people some excitement and hope, and it inspires kids to pursue good health, fitness and athleticism. And that is a very good, very tangible thing.

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad