Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Meetings: Because there's no more fitting time to talk baseball than December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Dickey, Bautista and EE all come off(36 combined), but Martin gets a 5 million raise, JD probably goes from like ~12 to ~20 so 8 million more or so, Estrada goes up 3, Happ up 3, signing 1 of EE/Bautista will take almost of what's left or more.

If they sign 1 of Bautista/EE I don't see a lot of room in the budget for much of anything else in 2017 unless it goes up.

I forgot about Martin going from $15 to 20.

Also a good chance Smoak, Revere and Saunders will be gone next winter too.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I forgot about Martin going from $15 to 20.

Also a good chance Smoak, Revere and Saunders will be gone next winter too.

Revere yes(I hope he's gone before this year), but I tend to not really count anyone under 5 million, if they go they have to be replaced, if you're bringing in anyone competent in free agency they could end up costing just as much. If you're replacing that internaly with a close to league minimum salary then the difference is rather negligible(and could be put towards something else like a pen upgrade, I doubt they pile all the nickel and dimes salaries together to find a bigger salary to pay someone).

There's also Hutch probably getting a fair raise in his 2nd arb year assuming he doesn't pitch awful this year again. Cecil is also a free agent so there's 3-4 million more, but I'd like to re-up him and that will likely cost more as well.

Kinda early to be talking about 2017 anyway but assuming most of the key guys and 1 of EE/Jose is kept there's not going to be a lot of wiggle room then either.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I could still see them taking someone like Alberto Tirado and going the Castro/Osuna route with him.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

That's a really interesting comment from Shapiro.

If we all recall, one of the reasons he was hired was to "modernize" the Jays operations and to bring more innovative thinking about revenue generation.

A comment like that might indicate that Shapiro took the job with the promise that (some of) the additional revenue his ideas might generate are invested back into the on-field product.

Shapiro is a smart guy and I'm sure he was aware of the score heaped on AA after payroll remained static after the big moves a few years back when revenue, etc increased.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I could still see them taking someone like Alberto Tirado and going the Castro/Osuna route with him.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. Though that might be because Tirado was my irrational prospect pick. The one guy in the system I loved for reasons I couldn't fully explain beyond a vague belief that he might turn out better than expected/useful in some capacity. He's had some iffy ERA-FIP results in A-ball with both Toronto and Philly though.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Revere yes(I hope he's gone before this year), but I tend to not really count anyone under 5 million, if they go they have to be replaced, if you're bringing in anyone competent in free agency they could end up costing just as much. If you're replacing that internaly with a close to league minimum salary then the difference is rather negligible(and could be put towards something else like a pen upgrade, I doubt they pile all the nickel and dimes salaries together to find a bigger salary to pay someone).

There's also Hutch probably getting a fair raise in his 2nd arb year assuming he doesn't pitch awful this year again. Cecil is also a free agent so there's 3-4 million more, but I'd like to re-up him and that will likely cost more as well.

Kinda early to be talking about 2017 anyway but assuming most of the key guys and 1 of EE/Jose is kept there's not going to be a lot of wiggle room then either.

It is early to be thinking about next winter. I just want to get through this winter without pulling my hair out...

But, with that said, I think it's a safe bet that the Jays won't be investing $40+ million in a couple of mid-30s players that will be entering their decline years.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It is early to be thinking about next winter. I just want to get through this winter without pulling my hair out...

But, with that said, I think it's a safe bet that the Jays won't be investing $40+ million in a couple of mid-30s players that will be entering their decline years.

I could easily see them bringing 1 of them back, and that's pretty much enough to take up all of the projected room.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I could easily see them bringing 1 of them back, and that's pretty much enough to take up all of the projected room.

If I had a guess, I would bet on them re-signing Bautista to one of those lifetime kind of contracts that sees him get a raise and a lot of money deferred (I believe Stieb and Hentgen signed those kinds of deals with the Jays at some point) into his retirement years.

That's just a guess. Bautista seems like a really smart guy that is different from other players, as in he can see the bigger picture. He's comfortable in Toronto and is aware of his legacy and the legacy of players that came before him.

But, I admit, that's a guess based on what I thought would happen with AA still around. The new management group might just say: "so long" to both.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Bummer. Shapiro seems confident that the Jays on progressing on trading for somebody though.

Wonder if Cleveland would be the other party...

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Let's give Davis 8/200! What could possibly go wrong. :sarcasm:

Baltimore's probably better off saving that money and using it to deal with Jones and Machado when the time comes.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Boras gonna Boras

People want to sign or trade for these Boras clients but fail to realize how annoying he is to deal with. He is a master manipulator and will be a pain to deal with even after signing a ridiculous contract. he's good at what he does so credit to him but if I'm a major league team I want nothing to do with that guy or any of his clients. Huge headache you don't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad