Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Meetings: Because there's no more fitting time to talk baseball than December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
There is a reason Jose Fernandez hasn't been dealt yet...there are only so many Dave Stewarts in baseball willing to make stupid offers. Marlins want good MLB players and Top prospects.

Jose Fernandez has recently had TJS.. it's something to think about because he could easily go the way of Josh Johnson.

Jose Fernandez threw ~60 innings in the majors this season and looked as dominant as before. Velocity was even greater than before too.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Watching MLB Network and the twitter feed from baseball reporters mentioned the Padres could move Cashner and Ross. I wonder if the Jays would take a look?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Zero interest in Shields, but I wonder if the Jays could get one of the other two with a deal centred on Pompey and Hutch?

That's the type of deal I'd be thinking in terms of someone with term like Teheran. Not sure I'd commit to that for a guy with 1 year left. Even then, I think Hutch is due to have a solid year.

Last edited:

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Jose Fernandez threw ~60 innings in the majors this season and looked as dominant as before. Velocity was even greater than before too.
Hey I'd love to have Fernandez...but he doesn't come without some risk. Also he would command way too much in a trade to make it worth it. If he manages to stay healthy he will be looking to surpass Grienke/Price money which the jays aren't in the business of handing out. I'd rather draft pitching than trade for it because it's so hard to acquire and it's a fine line between a great career and going the way of Josh Johnson the past few years.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Zero interest in Shields, but I wonder if the Jays could get one of the other two with a deal centred on Pompey and Hutch?

that's tough, Ross is really good, I would love to have him but I still believe in Hutch, and think he can get to that level eventually, and I want Pompey on the roster next year.

The price might be higher than that anyway but maybe I'm just too high on Hutch and Pompey.

The difference in Hutch and Ross is probably Pompey or more, but I'd have a tough time saying yes :(

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Its worth noting that Ross has 2 years of club control and just posted a 4.4 WAR season.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Serious question, who was the last Rule 5 guy to (eventually) make an impact anywhere?

I know way back in the day sometimes these guys would turn into stars (George Bell was a Rule 5 guy, so was Bautista at one point - not with the Jays). Years ago there were fewer teams, which meant organization had more talent in the pipeline and some guys would fall through the cracks.

To me, it feels like the Rule 5 is one of those things everybody talks about the day before/day of and then there is never an impact again.

Wasn't Deshields (sp?) a Rule 5 for Texas?

I thought I remembered the broadcast saying that

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
that's tough, Ross is really good, I would love to have him but I still believe in Hutch, and think he can get to that level eventually, and I want Pompey on the roster next year.

The price might be higher than that anyway but maybe I'm just too high on Hutch and Pompey.

The difference in Hutch and Ross is probably Pompey or more, but I'd have a tough time saying yes :(

Agree. It would be a tough one. Would depend on what the Padres want. Are they looking for MLB ready guys, or lower level prospects?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Barney's a nice get. Fun to watch, too.

Good bye, Kawi.

I guess that means no Burns either. I was really hoping to see him, but he may be taken in the Rule 5 anyways. If not, maybe we trade him. I don't see the point of him staying the minors another year.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Imagine if we somehow got Jose Fernandez.

But we won't. Shapiro doesn't make deals like that.

Seems something AA would be working on though

Even if AA was here, I dont think we'd have enough to get Fernandez without giving up Stroman.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hey I'd love to have Fernandez...but he doesn't come without some risk. Also he would command way too much in a trade to make it worth it. If he manages to stay healthy he will be looking to surpass Grienke/Price money which the jays aren't in the business of handing out. I'd rather draft pitching than trade for it because it's so hard to acquire and it's a fine line between a great career and going the way of Josh Johnson the past few years.

Obviously the price is outrageous and likely starts with Stroman, but I wouldn't say he has Josh Johnson type risk. I haven't seen many pitchers undergo 3 TJ surgeries over the course of 7 years.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He would be a nice get. And with Dickey coming off the books next year, there would be money in the future budget to keep him.

Dickey, Bautista and EE all come off(36 combined), but Martin gets a 5 million raise, JD probably goes from like ~12 to ~20 so 8 million more or so, Estrada goes up 3, Happ up 3, signing 1 of EE/Bautista will take almost of what's left or more.

If they sign 1 of Bautista/EE I don't see a lot of room in the budget for much of anything else in 2017 unless it goes up.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I was thinking Sanchez + prospects

Think Sanchez + Pompey + Alford + Harris + Tellez + SRF + Pillar + maybe more, there's no elite level prospect/young player in there that I'd figure they'd want in Stroman. So you're making it up with a ton of quantity, and even that might not make Miami happy.

There was 6 players in the dbacks talking including all the players they gave for Miller, plus another quality pitcher, and more good prospects. and they had an elite prospect in Swanson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad