Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Meetings: Because there's no more fitting time to talk baseball than December

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Which 2 top bullpen arms would you sign if you had the choice?

With O'Day and Madson gone, Soria sounds like a good option. I'd also like the Jays to get Sipp.

I think Soria works as a good counter for power pitchers like Sanchez and Osuna. Sipp is an undervalued lefty. You can trust him in any situation (RH hitters included).

With that bullpen, if anything happens to a SP, you can easily move Sanchez into the rotation and trust a combination of Cecil/Soria to play set-up roles. Or if Osuna ever gets hurt (fingers crossed), Soria has the closing experience. This also means the Jays have the personnel to work from the 6th inning on without constantly tiring the same players.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
some of these prices are ridiculous. 8 mil for O'Day lol. Thanks Baltimore, Jose can keep mashing him now late in the game.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
With O'Day and Madson gone, Soria sounds like a good option. I'd also like the Jays to get Sipp.

I think Soria works as a good counter for power pitchers like Sanchez and Osuna. Sipp is an undervalued lefty. You can trust him in any situation (RH hitters included).

With that bullpen, if anything happens to a SP, you can easily move Sanchez into the rotation and trust a combination of Cecil/Soria to play set-up roles. Or if Osuna ever gets hurt (fingers crossed), Soria has the closing experience. This also means the Jays have the personnel to work from the 6th inning on without constantly tiring the same players.

I guess Sipp is an upgrade on Loup (and maybe we can use him as a trade chip) and Soria is Lowe's replacement.

We'll see. I see a few pitchers being brought in, and a few pitchers being sent out.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Right now I think Hagadone and Qualls would be a schrewed pair of relievers. a LOOGY who can get K's and a ground ball machine.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I hope the Jays take a similar route that they took under AA and not invest in relief pitching from expensive free agents. Most relief pitchers' shelf lives are indeterminate. I might pay big for one year, two years max for one who had a very good 2015 season but beyond that you're betting against the house. Every season there are numerous newly effective MLB relief pitchers emerging often from the purgatory of a failed starting career or a couple of consecutive ineffective seasons. I'd rather take a few flyers on a couple of great unrealized arms to compliment the Jays' current stable of several "maybe's".

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Right now I think Hagadone and Qualls would be a schrewed pair of relievers. a LOOGY who can get K's and a ground ball machine.

LR: Jesse Chavez (R)
MR: Nick Hagadone (L)
MR: Chad Qualls (R)
MR: Aaron Loup (L)
SU: Aaron Sanchez (R)
SU: Brett Cecil (L)
CL: Roberto Osuna (R)

That is a damn solid bullpen

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I think 2K is better left dead. They were such an embarrassment.

I remember getting 2K6 and being really excited about it because it included the World Baseball Classic.

I started playing and it wasn't bad. Then Roy Halladay gave up a hit and couldn't throw the ball over the plate anymore. It was so bizarre I thought it was a game glitch. He had six or seven wild pitches in an inning and I finally shut it off and didn't play anymore.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

Looking at that, I would want to replace Loup with another RHP and have him in AAA.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I too would prefer Loup to be in the bigs. I believe he'll bounce back.

He would be the first one called up, Ideally I would love to have 2 relievers in AAA who could step up and 1 starter in addition to 1 "starter" in the pen as a long man that way we have 2 reserve arms for both the pen and rotation and give us plenty of depth to weather injuries should they start to pile up.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I think 2K is better left dead. They were such an embarrassment.

Yeah, their last few years were just horrendous, but with 2K making baseball games, it gives The Show more competition and people on Xbox and PC a baseball game.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yeah, their last few years were just horrendous, but with 2K making baseball games, it gives The Show more competition and people on Xbox and PC a baseball game.

This. Madden and EA NHL have been stagnant for a long time because of the same things. Even NBA 2k stagnated for a couple years without NBA Live (definitely made tangible improvements this year, though, with Live back). Don't want The Show to stagnate in the same way.

Competition's a good thing.

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
O'Day squashes reports about his return with the O's, physical is up in the air.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

Sanchez is going to start unless the new guys sign another starter

Status