Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Meeting madness II: Meetings may not be as mad as they appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Is there any talk about him having an innings limit? Is it realistic to think he can hit 200 innings?

I haven't heard anything. But I personally think it is unlikely that he will have an innings limit. I believe that if healthy he'll make all 32/33 starts.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Is there any talk about him having an innings limit? Is it realistic to think he can hit 200 innings?

One thing gibby hinted at is that if Stroman is cruising, they'll let him run. If he's having an obvious bad day, they might pull him out early. Also mentioned his injury isn't arm related so it's not like they're watching him with care. I hate all these make shift innings limits per start where managers would pull guys before the 7th or 8th.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They got Price and a couple of really nice bullpen pieces in Smith and Kimbrel and they bring back pretty much everyone from an offense that was 4th in the majors last year (and unlike the Yankees, most of the guys who contributed to that are in the upward stage of their careers).

Throw in the inevitable dead cat bounce from Hanley and Sandoval and that's a damn good team.

their offense was a mediocre 17th in baseball with a 98wrc+. and they needed a top 10 .305babip to even get there. They got extremely fortunate with sequencing to score the runs they did.

there is no inevitable dead cat bounce from ramirez and sandoval. just like there wasn't last year from craig masterson victorino. the more likely scenario after years as bad as those is that they are permanently broken. but as with the likes of victorino masterson craig last year, the projections will overrate these guys.

and the red sox have about the same number of significant older players as the yanks do.

they have improved their pitching to good, but not great, with average offense and defense.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
of course it's debatable. actually way more than just debatable. yankees have been the far better team in each of the last 2yrs, and have improved significantly this offseason.

boston was overrated 2yrs ago. overrated last year. and are overrated this year again. they had as many significant overachievers last year as they did underachievers. the fact that they had a babip-infused hot streak in august after they were virtually eliminated is meaningless. adding price is a nice upgrade, but not enough to turn a last place team into a favorite.

Bapip-infused? c'mon now. You know the underachieved. I know they underachieved. I hate the Redsox. It's an obnoxious fanbase. They aren't very likable. But that team is a hell of a lot better than we saw last season. The Yankees are an old team relying heavily on a 40 year old Arod, a 35 year old broken down Teixera and a rotation made of glass. You can't sit there and tell me you thought they had the second best offense in baseball last year hence, overachieving. The Yankees are taking the Royals approach in that they're not going to try and rely on their starts and just get to the 7th inning. Everything that went wrong for Boston last year, did. Everyone in that lineup outside of Ortiz and Betts was pretty damn bad for the most part. The only reliable starter they had was Buchholz and I strongly doubt that happens again. Boston likely takes this division IMO unless the Yankees or Jays get some starting help.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bapip-infused? c'mon now.

c'mon now. for about a month, from early august to early september, after they had been effectively eliminate, they got red hot based on an insane babip clip and hilarious flukes like Rich Hill. It was a meaningless hot streak at the end of a lost season. jays used to do that all the time.

You know the underachieved. I know they underachieved.

I knew they were overrated, and wasn't surprised they finished last for the 2nd year in a row. There wasn't any reason to believe otherwise. It was a team with no stars, and depth that was built on dreams of reclamation projects and overrated 2nd tier kids.

I hate the Redsox. It's an obnoxious fanbase. They aren't very likable. But that team is a hell of a lot better than we saw last season. The Yankees are an old team relying heavily on a 40 year old Arod, a 35 year old broken down Teixera and a rotation made of glass. You can't sit there and tell me you thought they had the second best offense in baseball last year hence, overachieving. The Yankees are taking the Royals approach in that they're not going to try and rely on their starts and just get to the 7th inning.

The yankees have 2 old guys they rely in key roles - a 40yr old DH and a 35yr old 1B. the only others over 32 are a guy battling for the #5sp slot and a bench OF.

The Sox also have 2 key old guys - a 40yr old DH, as well as a 41yr old as their 2nd best reliver. Add in a 35yr old platoon catcher.

The yanks boast a young deep rotation, a ******** and young bullpen, and as deep a lineup as any team in baseball. They are even better this year than the very good team they were last year.

Everything that went wrong for Boston last year, did. Everyone in that lineup outside of Ortiz and Betts was pretty damn bad for the most part. The only reliable starter they had was Buchholz and I strongly doubt that happens again. Boston likely takes this division IMO unless the Yankees or Jays get some starting help.

No, some things went wrong for Boston last year, and some things went right.

This year, at least, they finally have one guy i'd actually bet on to make the allstar game in Price, unlike last year when they had zero, so that's a start. But they're still a team that lacks impact performers, and whose depth isn't notable either. The closest thing they have to an impact bat is a 40yr old DH on his farewell tour. Better team than last year's last place squad, or the previous year's last place squad, but hardly a world beater.

It's actually quite amazing how much benefit of the doubt this near perennial last place team always gets.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
let's compare how the jays and sox rosters have performed over the last 2yrs, and then you tell me how the teams look on paper.

I'll remove the names, and just look at wrc+ for hitters and era- for pitchers, from best to worst. you tell me which team is which.

last 2yrs stats.

Starting Lineups (wrc+)

154 - 136
150 - 121
141 - 114
135 - 105
129 - 102
127 - 96
120 - 96
95 - 91
93 - 74

Benches

117 - 119
94 - 98
67 - 88
63 - 83
(88 - 70)

Rotations (era-)

77 - 74
96 - 91
100 - 101
100 - 106
103 - 111
(87 - 109)
(124 - 112)

Bullpens (era-)

42 - 54
63 - 57
65 - 59
72 - 74
80 - 84
92 - 92
106 - 96
(112 - 98)
(127 - 115)

which team is left and which team is right? and how close are they, really?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
there is no inevitable dead cat bounce from ramirez and sandoval. just like there wasn't last year from craig masterson victorino. the more likely scenario after years as bad as those is that they are permanently broken. but as with the likes of victorino masterson craig last year, the projections will overrate these guys.

The projections will like those guys specifically because a bounceback season IS the most likely scenario, based on historical precedent. You may not expect a bounceback, and that's perfectly fair, but based on their ages and track records, 2015 is not likely the new norm.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I know I'm probably late to comment on this, but that Yankee bullpen!

Their 7-8-9 combination is just filthy. I suppose the only real problem they will have is managing the egos if they all want to close, but really if you don't hammer their SP in the first 6 innings, you will be hard pressed to mount a comeback in the later part of the game.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I don't see why the blue jays couldn't do like the Yankees just did and put together a lights out bullpen. I guess the Yankees just want it more.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
The projections will like those guys specifically because a bounceback season IS the most likely scenario, based on historical precedent. You may not expect a bounceback, and that's perfectly fair, but based on their ages and track records, 2015 is not likely the new norm.

There's some causes for alarm with both.

Hanley's BB% was the lowest of his career, pull % the second lowest of his career, and soft contact % the highest of his career. Couple that with the fact that he's positionless, and yikes.

Sandoval; lowest BB%, highest K%, lowest iso, lowest pull %, lowest hard contact rate. Coupled with the worst defensive season of his career, and also yikes.

It's actually quite interesting just how generous steamer is to both considering it is the regression machine.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
So...Mat Latos is still a free agent....I know he's apparently a jerk, but that ceiling...

Could probably get him on a one year deal. I feel like there's enough strong personalities in the clubhouse that having one jerk shouldn't affect things too much.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
So...Mat Latos is still a free agent....I know he's apparently a jerk, but that ceiling...

Could probably get him on a one year deal. I feel like there's enough strong personalities in the clubhouse that having one jerk shouldn't affect things too much.

I predicted that Pittsburgh would sign him and Searage would work his magic. Doesn't look to be the case now. However, I see him wanting a guaranteed rotation spot, which I would be uncomfortable with.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
There's some causes for alarm with both.

Hanley's BB% was the lowest of his career, pull % the second lowest of his career, and soft contact % the highest of his career. Couple that with the fact that he's positionless, and yikes.

Sandoval; lowest BB%, highest K%, lowest iso, lowest pull %, lowest hard contact rate. Coupled with the worst defensive season of his career, and also yikes.

It's actually quite interesting just how generous steamer is to both considering it is the regression machine.

Them bouncing back next year IS regression.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Projecting a 32 year old to have his second highest iso mark in five calendar years is not proper regression.

Ditto goes for Sandoval, who's iso and walk rate have steadily declined since 2012.

A lot of career noise in the steamer projections for both.

Not that I agree with steamer on that particular assessment, but I assume a major boost in ISO is primarily caused by Fenway Park rather than improvements by the players.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The yankees have 2 old guys they rely in key roles - a 40yr old DH and a 35yr old 1B. the only others over 32 are a guy battling for the #5sp slot and a bench OF.

The Sox also have 2 key old guys - a 40yr old DH, as well as a 41yr old as their 2nd best reliver. Add in a 35yr old platoon catcher.

The yanks boast a young deep rotation, a ******** and young bullpen, and as deep a lineup as any team in baseball. They are even better this year than the very good team they were last year.

McCann will be 32, Headley will be 32, Gardner is 32, Beltran is 38 (and their starting RFer), and Ellsbury is 32. Why cutoff at that age when they are all clearly past their peak but heavily relied upon?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
McCann will be 32, Headley will be 32, Gardner is 32, Beltran is 38 (and their starting RFer), and Ellsbury is 32. Why cutoff at that age when they are all clearly past their peak but heavily relied upon?

Yeah, and those guys aren't like Bautista and Edwin where they're still performing at or near their peak levels. They have way more red flags from both a health and performance standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad