Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Meeting madness II: Meetings may not be as mad as they appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
This year it was the Nats series to lose. Or the Red Sox. Or maybe those Padres. Or actually it could have been the White Sox.

Most money wagered to win the 2015 WS (as of opening day 2015)

1. Cubs
2. Mariners
3. Dodgers
4. Nationals
5. Giants

It was the Royals. They were built to win that championship and nothing was getting in their way.

I hope you made a lot of money on that, since the Royals were 33-1 to win the WS on opening day 2015 had an O/U of 81 wins (AL teams with more projected wins by Vegas: Orioles, Red Sox, White Sox, Indians, Tigers, Angels, Yankees, Mariners, Blue Jays)

The Jays, at 25-1 and 83.5 wins were seen as a better contender than the Royals at the start of the season (general fun fact as well: after the 2014 WS the Royals were 16-1 to win this year but then were slammed by bettors over the winter after their offseason was deemed to be wholly underwhelming).

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Madson and Medlen were reclamation type arms that paid off. Especially after Holland fell off. Jays are looking to do the same.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Most money wagered to win the 2015 WS (as of opening day 2015)

1. Cubs
2. Mariners
3. Dodgers
4. Nationals
5. Giants

I hope you made a lot of money on that, since the Royals were 33-1 to win the WS on opening day 2015 had an O/U of 81 wins (AL teams with more projected wins by Vegas: Orioles, Red Sox, White Sox, Indians, Tigers, Angels, Yankees, Mariners, Blue Jays)

The Jays, at 25-1 and 83.5 wins were seen as a better contender than the Royals at the start of the season (general fun fact as well: after the 2014 WS the Royals were 16-1 to win this year but then were slammed by bettors over the winter after their offseason was deemed to be wholly underwhelming).

$ 1,031

lol

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Volquez had one good year in Pittsburgh and generally sustained it.

There are pretty simple parallels to draw between the Jays 2016 rotation and the Royals 2015 rotation. The Jays absolutely do not have guys like Davis or Herrera.

$ 1,031

lol

You certainly have free reign to say what you say then

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Blanton would do lots to quell my concern for the pen to setup a deep back end of the pen with Osuna-Cecil-Blanton to then push Sanchez down to the middle relief role.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Blanton would do lots to quell my concern for the pen to setup a deep back end of the pen with Osuna-Cecil-Blanton to then push Sanchez down to the middle relief role.

More definitely needs to happen. The only acceptable question marks I feel are: 1) Hutchison/Chavez, since one is likely to turn out and if not, there are a lot of guys that can replace them until a suitable replacement can be acquired through trade; and 2) Venditte, whom can be replaced by many other suitable minor league options or a rotation of them.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I feel as though we need to try and make a trade with the Reds. They seem desperate to add a ton of blah prospects. The asking price every gm loves to oblige

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
There are pretty simple parallels to draw between the Jays 2016 rotation and the Royals 2015 rotation. The Jays absolutely do not have guys like Davis or Herrera.

Uh... they kinda absolutely do in Cecil and Osuna.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
In my opinion, if the Jays don't improve their bullpen this offseason, they lost the world series this Winter.

I honestly believe it was their's to lose... and he may have already lost. The offence is scary good. Nearly everybody on the roster is in their prime right now. The Jays were right there in October. One game could have been the difference. If we win game 6; it's a VERY good chance we win game 7.

The jays are right there. We only needed a couple pieces. But the window is now; not next year. We regressed losing Price. The opportunity is right now.

I get some people want to be positive... but it doesn't make you a negative fan to recognize they may potentially be blowing a great opportunity to win a title right in front of our eyes, this very moment. I already feel like boycotting because I don't have faith in Shapiro.

Losing AA is a big deal. I don't know if we can survive that loss. I hope we can.

Agreed 100%.

Not feeling very optimistic heading into the season. Pitching is sub standard.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I feel as though we need to try and make a trade with the Reds. They seem desperate to add a ton of blah prospects. The asking price every gm loves to oblige

JJ Hoover and Jumbo Diaz are two guys I'd look at. Maybe Tony Cingrani depending on his price.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
we can win alot of games with our defense alone
I'd say that's our noticeable edge in our division
We have like 5 gold gloves candidates

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
we can win alot of games with our defense alone
I'd say that's our noticeable edge in our division
We have like 5 gold gloves candidates

Exactly. With our bats and gloves, the pitching staff doesn't have to be "great" for this team to contend.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Especially the first couple months with GoGo at 2 bag. That infield will be ridiculous

Even when Travis comes back. He's no slouch in the field and his bat is a significant upgrade over GoGo's. As for the rotation, if the team is in the race and needs an ace come July, there will be rentals available just like Price was this past season.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Even when Travis comes back. He's no slouch in the field and his bat is a significant upgrade over GoGo's. As for the rotation, if the team is in the race and needs an ace come July, there will be rentals available just like Price was this past season.

Do you think we have the assets to grab someone?

By the looks of it, there aren't any #1, even #2 calibre free agents next season, so anyone we trade for is likely not a rental. (from non-playoff teams)

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
I'm not counting on it
meaning we better have a better 1st half and build up a sizeable lead
I can see Boston adding a starter at the deadline

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Do you think we have the assets to grab someone?

By the looks of it, there aren't any #1, even #2 calibre free agents next season, so anyone we trade for is likely not a rental. (from non-playoff teams)

Yes. There are plenty of assets in the minor leagues that will be appealing to other teams. As for pitchers available, here are some pitchers that can be free agents after the 2016 season...

-Clay Buchholz
-Gio Gonzalez
-James Shields (has an opt out)
-Stephen Strasburg
-Andrew Cashner

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yes. There are plenty of assets in the minor leagues that will be appealing to other teams. As for pitchers available, here are some pitchers that can be free agents after the 2016 season...

-Clay Buchholz
-Gio Gonzalez
-Stephen Strasburg
-Andrew Cashner

hmmm, none of them came up in my search for some reason. So we have some options.

I'm still holding on for a Sonny Gray deal :laugh:

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com

Toronto aren't in a position to really get an ace at the deadline considering what they usually go for. Unless we're trading a big bat.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Shapiro is even less likely to trade prospects than he is to sign big contracts.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

-Clay Buchholz
-Gio Gonzalez
-Stephen Strasburg
-Andrew Cashner

You think James Shields is going to opt out of his deal leaving 21 mil/yr on the table in 2017 and 2018? Considering he will be age 35 and 36 during those years I don't see any way he opts out of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad