Post-Game Talk: Winter Is Here - Jets Win Game 3 (7-4)

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Reactions: Duke749
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
31719619_2043548712341629_4088061489942888448_n.jpg

Now I know where I've seen him before!

That's great!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Here is the problem with your evaluation. You somehow place Myers play above Trouba because Trouba got beat on one play for a breakaway.

Toby "sucks at everything, replace him with Morrow" Enstrom had a very strong game. 72% Corsi.

I appreciate your input Dogs -- but I should clarify a couple of things. I don't put Myers ahead of Trouba on the hierachy of Jet's defenseman. Personally I think they are both good, and we need them both--and this is proving to be true. I believe we won out last 13 games straight at home. We are doing things right !!!

I wouldn't want to say who's better, as it seems to be 50 -50 on Myers -either you like him, or you don't. I like offensive minded players-- guys like Ehlers and Myers, however these types of guys are not the best defensive players. If I had the choice between the 2--and they were the same age, and Myers had no health problems--I'd personally take Myers over Trouba-- but not by much. Right now though--I'd take Trouba over Myers--age and health etc. I'm all for Trouba signing here on a reasonable contract--as he and Morrissey are a great defensive pair.

Your right--I don't have all day to analyze the advanced analytics of a player, as I want to enjoy the game, and don't want it to turn into a work of study --I just take it for what it is. I just don't like guys badmouthing a certain player I like, even though it's their right to express their opinion on here.

As for Toby Enstrom--we agree --"get rid of him"-- he's no longer effectice. I actually prefer Morrow over Enstrom. We also agree on Myers to some extent, as you don't mind him taking up a 5/6 D-man position on the team. I think he could play 2nd line D-man if I was the coach. There shall be no arguments on who is the Alpha Dog and our number 1 -Dman--and that's Buff. I'd like to see posters get behind all our great players, as this is a gifted team.:cool:

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I appreciate your input Dogs -- but I should clarify a couple of things. I don't put Myers ahead of Trouba on the hierachy of Jet's defenseman. Personally I think they are both good, and we need them both--and this is proving to be true. I believe we won out last 13 games straight at home. We are doing things right !!!

I wouldn't want to say who's better, as it seems to be 50 -50 on Myers -either you like him, or you don't. I like offensive minded players-- guys like Ehlers and Myers, however these types of guys are not the best defensive players. If I had the choice between the 2--and they were the same age, and Myers had no health problems--I'd personally take Myers over Trouba-- but not by much. Right now though--I'd take Trouba over Myers--age and health etc. I'm all for Trouba signing here on a reasonable contract--as he and Morrissey are a great defensive pair.

Your right--I don't have all day to analyze the advanced analytics of a player, as I want to enjoy the game, and don't want it to turn into a work of study --I just take it for what it is. I just don't like guys badmouthing a certain player I like, even though it's their right to express their opinion on here.

As for Toby Enstrom--we agree --"get rid of him"-- he's no longer effectice. I actually prefer Morrow over Enstrom. We also agree on Myers to some extent, as you don't mind him taking up a 5/6 D-man position on the team. I think he could play 2nd line D-man if I was the coach. There shall be no arguments on who is the Alpha Dog and our number 1 -Dman--and that's Buff. I'd like to see posters get behind all our great players, as this is a gifted team.:cool:
Interesting, because Trouba last game was just as offensively dangerous as Myers, moreso, while still having better D.
It's interesting before, I would say Jets best D were Trouba and Mo all season long and Buff has upset that apple cart.
Buff

Trouba
Mo
Enstrom
Myers
Chariot/Morrow.

Enstrom has lost a step he is still incredible, but, I wonder if his injury and his slight decline will have him accepting a smaller role and less money and whether Niku is still being considered for next year's 2LD spot behind Morrisey.

Reactions: Jack722

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
.If only Myers could pass the puck effectively. So many passes in players skates or 10 feet wide.

I just cannot agree with a post like this Aacco --we must be watching different games. I'd say Myers has a "very accurate" pass, and from the point --his slap shot almost "always" hits the net -- unlike some of our other D-man. This si why he's a great scoring defenseman--it's his accuracy.

To be fair--where Myers has a weakness, is sometimes in his own end he bobbles the puck, and loses control of it. Probably has to do with having such long arms -- similar to Laine. Myers is a guy that will be a "difference maker" and win us games-we need him.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
_

Enstrom was rock solid last game.
I don't think it is a coincidence that Buff has gone to monster mode now that 39 is back. Buff trusts Enstrom to cover for him if he gets caught behind the play due to pinching or making big hits.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
  • Wait, Hendricks played and we won? We actually had an epic comeback? How is that possible I thought he was the Thanos of the NHL?
  • Wonder how many people will give Myers credit as one of the guys who actually helped drive the comeback. Man the guy has his warts but there is still a lot to like there.
  • What a battle back by Helle. Wonder if he has a couple goose eggs
  • I always liked Tanev's game - so glad he's potted a few so that people who don't understand the role he plays actually want him in the lineup too - some just look at that stats line.
  • I love this team!

Great post as always Jet -- and I agree --it's about time posters give Myer's credit for being one of the major drivers on this Jet's team. He played great last night.

Also agree on Tanev --the guy is so underrated and underappreciated. There is no other player that puts out a 100 % effort every game like Tanev does. He sets a good example to the rest of the team --to "never quit" hustling.

I'm not sure ?? but over the last 5 games or so--I think Tanev has 3-4 goals, and I've been impressed with him, and he's getting better all the time.

Reactions: Jet

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Time to re-watch the game listening to Chris Cuthbert. Looking forward to it with the NBC noise levels

I agree with Aavco here --I'd like to hear some games with Chris Cuthbert --he's pretty much the best color commentator around. I like watching games when he's calling them--adds a lot to the broadcast.

Some of those announcers on Sportsnet are really bad !!!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup, our lack of playoff experience doesn't seem to be slowing us down. For people who said it would, here's what they didn't understand. It's not about playoff experience. It's about leadership. The Jets have amazing leaders. This game, our leadership and veteran players picked this team up and carried them on their shoulders.

The way Chevy has built this team, drafting amazing young players, combined with a veteran core of high-character, driven players has really paid off. I include Maurice as an important piece of the puzzle that Chevy has built. I don't think our young players would have found the success they have without these other pieces in place.
Agreed. Was a bit skeptical on Maurice last summer, but he has won me over. Don't think I've ever seen a coach place as much weight on relationships in the room. He seems to have build a strong bond with each player and within the group especially between vets and young players. He is a player's coach in the truest sense and has fostered exceptional internal leadership and it seems to have worked.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I just cannot agree with a post like this Aacco --we must be watching different games. I'd say Myers has a "very accurate" pass, and from the point --his slap shot almost "always" hits the net -- unlike some of our other D-man. This is why he's a great scoring defenseman--it's his accuracy.

To be fair--where Myers has a weakness, is sometimes in his own end he bobbles the puck, and loses control of it. Probably has to do with having such long arms -- similar to Laine. Myers is a guy that will be a "difference maker" and win us games-we need him.

Myers has played quite well in the playoffs thus far. Aavco however is bang on regarding his observation.

There are numerous posters including myself that have commented on relatively routine passes from Myers being made well behind or into he feet of their intended recipient. There's no doubting this. The only argument one could make in Myers defence is that he's running set plays and the recipient is the one out of position.

Since no other Jet does this as often, Myers is either a playbook virtuoso or far more likely a bad passer.

Over the course of the regular season were hundreds of examples of this, sometime over a dozen in a single game.

I'd suggest recency bias has influenced your opinion. Myers has been very strong thus far in the post season.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Hmmm... maybe everywhere but here.

Go back and peruse any HF Jets thread with "Chevy" in the title over the past few years.
He’s made errors but ultimately delivered.
Even if we lose this round full applause for a very successful season.
Statue is a bit much tho’

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I just cannot agree with a post like this Aacco --we must be watching different games. I'd say Myers has a "very accurate" pass, and from the point --his slap shot almost "always" hits the net -- unlike some of our other D-man. This si why he's a great scoring defenseman--it's his

Why are you mentioning his shot? I never did. His shot is one of his best skills. He is also very good at skating with the puck and eluding a defender and skating into space. He is a very poor passer though. It's one of his worst skills. He is not very accurate and he is often slow to make the pass as well. His passing ability or lack of it is why so many of us cringe when he has the puck on his stick in our end. He is good defending though and very good along the boards.

He is good at some things but passing is definitely not one of them. That's why I posted what I did. If only Myers was a better passer he would probably be an elite D man.

Also my comment was not specific to any game but more general although there were numerous errant Myers passes last night. Mostly they ended up killing a rush

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Enstrom was rock solid last game.
I don't think it is a coincidence that Buff has gone to monster mode now that 39 is back. Buff trusts Enstrom to cover for him if he gets caught behind the play due to pinching or making big hits.
History shows this to be true

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Why are you mentioning his shot? I never did. His shot is one of his best skills. He is also very good at skating with the puck and eluding a defender and skating into space. He is a very poor passer though. It's one of his worst skills. He is not very accurate and he is often slow to make the pass as well. His passing ability or lack of it is why so many of us cringe when he has the puck on his tick in our end. He is good defending though and very good along the boards.

He is good at some things but passing is definitely not one of them. That's why I posted what I did. If only Myers was a better passer he would probably be an elite D man.

I don't think his passing is as bad as you say Aavco, but I'll watch for it. I think Myers is a very elite defenseman, and if other teams could have him--"there would be a lot of takers" -- I have no doubt.

In last night's victory --Myer's was one of the guys that drove the play--and he set up a beautiful goal.

We have to remember--these are not "machines" out there , and these guys all have their downsides. Example--Ehlers and Laine are "great" offensive players, but they give away the puck continually, but their "upside" supersedes their downside.

I can see you have a little bit of a "love-hate" relationship with Myers.;)

I like the guy--"he's not perfect"-- but none of them are !!!

None

Feb 22, 2012
I couldn't find any specific situation where Subban was lined up for a faceoff beside a Jets player in the third period. Anyone know which part of the game he's talking about in his interview where he backhandedly complained about the refs?

Clipped the 4 Nashville penalties
Sissons roughing on Ehlers

Fiala tripping on Trouba

Subban high-sticks Ehlers, this one's a little longer because it includes Ehlers getting crosschecked by Ekholm in the same sequence as well as Ekholm spearing Little.

I'll post the Rinne "tap on the back" slashing penalty in my next post because of the 3 embed limit. CBC had a better angle of it from the camera behind the net; NBC's camera angle from the corner isn't great.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Why are you mentioning his shot? I never did. His shot is one of his best skills. He is also very good at skating with the puck and eluding a defender and skating into space. He is a very poor passer though. It's one of his worst skills. He is not very accurate and he is often slow to make the pass as well. His passing ability or lack of it is why so many of us cringe when he has the puck on his stick in our end. He is good defending though and very good along the boards.

Also my comment was not specific to any game but more general although there were numerous errant Myers passes last night. Mostly they ended up killing a rush

To add to this, if it's a coincidence that Myers is on the second powerplay, then it's a lucky one since PP1's main priority is to 'get the puck to the kid' and Byfuglien is the best passer/puck controller on the Jets' D by a country mile.

Myers's job on PP2 is a lot more shot-related, I think.

I couldn't find any specific situation where Subban was lined up for a faceoff beside a Jets player in the third period. Anyone know which part of the game he's talking about in his interview where he backhandedly complained about the refs?

It was when he was lined up against Byfuglien 4-on-4.

Against any other player, he loves when it gets physical.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I don't think his passing is as bad as you say Aavco, but I'll watch for it. I think Myers is a very elite defenseman, and if other teams could have him--"there would be a lot of takers" -- I have no doubt.

Myers is nowhere near elite. He is a very good if not excellent #5 however. And that is his role on this team. The captain of the third pair.

I speak from the experience of watching Myers practice more than 100 times in person on top of watching every game he has ever played in a Jets uniform. When you watch passing drills at practice you see two things...the players who can pass and the players who can catch a bad pass. Myers keeps those guys who are great receivers on their toes.

Pass reception BTW is the most underrated skill in hockey IMO

Reactions: Evil Little

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Myers is nowhere near elite. He is a very good if not excellent #5 however. And that is his role on this team. The captain of the third pair.

I speak from the experience of watching Myers practice more than 100 times in person on top of watching every game he has ever played in a Jets uniform. When you watch passing drills at practice you see two things...the players who can pass and the players who can catch a bad pass. Myers keeps those guys who are great receivers on their toes.

Pass reception BTW is the most underrated skill in hockey IMO

All I will say is this -- we have a "stacked" right side defense with Buff, Trouba, and Myers--let's keep it that way.

If we lost Buff, Scheif, Helle or Myers -- I don't like our chances to go all the way. We need all these guys, and should be supporting them--I'm sure you'd agree.

Reactions: Evil Little

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad