OT - NO POLITICS Winter is coming.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I get my hair cut every 6 weeks. My hairstylist charges me $25 just for a shampoo & cut, I don't have it colored or anything like that, God only knows what she gets for that. I give her a $5 tip on top of that, she does a great job.
I probably should go for regular trims but since I wear my hair below my shoulders, it would cost me a small fortune as my longtime salon charges by length.

I'm due for a major haircut in the new year so I expect to plunk down $200 for the cut and color. It may seem like a lot but my hair is past the clasp of my bra at this point.

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I feel like the barber industry has been disproportionately hit by inflation. Even 15 years ago I could go get a cut for $13 or so, and it's been slowly creeping up to the point wher the last time I went to supercuts it was like $27, and round up to $30 on the tip, which is ridiculous to have to spend every 12 weeks or so.

I understand it economically since the industry is predatory and there's a lot of bloat, the stylist has to rent their space in the salon at most places and supply their own equipment, then the salon takes a cut of every haircut on top of that as well (especially the big chains like Supercuts or Great Clips), so it all adds up. I end up going to the supercuts because it's a level of standardization I can at least trust. Ideally I'd like to find a local barbershop but not really knowing any of them out here it's a big gamble to go to a new place not knowing what to expect.

I miss the barbershop I used to go to back in NH because at the end they'd touch up the back of your neck with a straight razor and it's among the greatest sensations in the world.
Or you can do what me and @TD Charlie do and not cut your hair at all. Since March 2020, I've had one small trim to even out the length. Unfortunately, what I've saved in barber costs, I've almost spent in new hair products.

Wholly agree on the straight razor on the back of the neck. Nothing like it!

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Or you can do what me and @TD Charlie do and not cut your hair at all. Since March 2020, I've had one small trim to even out the length. Unfortunately, what I've saved in barber costs, I've almost spent in new hair products.

I used to cut my hair. I feel $20 is alot for a haircut but when I need to pay for it I do.

Most I paid was $50 for a hair cut and beard trim

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Tried it over the pandemic. I was due for a haircut right around the time everything shut down and then couldn't get a haircut anywhere until like December of that year, so I had nearly shoulder-length hair by that point. It's not as fun as I thought long hair would be. It got hot and was messy. I do wish that I had grown my hair out in my teens or 20s when I had less responsibilities and could take fashion risks, but it didn't work for me in my 30s.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I go to “great clips” there is always a different barber. Dont get my hair cut often. Used to grow it out since my ex/whatever liked it longer. I usually get a fade if I do get a cut. In Vegas I would go to my boys house he had a whole set up. Miss that.

Need to find someone who does good fades out here.
I finally found my soulmate at Super Cuts. I had one but she got a full time job doing something else..She was still going to do haircuts once a month in her downstairs, but didn't think going to see a beautiful hair designer in her basement would have gone over too well
Am I reading this wrong or are you saying you leave a $3 tip?
1669925992735.png

that's the kind of cut you get w that kinda tip

• Haha
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I did that when the Covid lockdown started. I was a couple of weeks past due for a cut, and everything shut down, so I let it grow. By the time the barbershop opened back up, I looked like the singer in a bad Allman Bros cover band. It was ridiculous and drove my father in law nuts. He kept asking when I was going to get it all cut off and every time he asked, it made me push that timeframe back by a couple of weeks. In the end it got so long it was super annoying so I buzzed it all off.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
We don't tip much in Australia, mostly only at fancy restaurants and to food delivery drivers, and even in those cases it's reduced with the decline in hard cash.

I have no problem tipping when we go to the States or Canada - tend to just set a percentage and stick to it for everything unless the service was particularly good or bad - but it can feel strange for a while handing over so much extra money constantly because we're just not used to it.

Most of the listed prices for things being pre-tax is my bugbear though - just tell me up front what something actually costs and leave it at that! That one trips up first-time travellers to the US all the time.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Sorry to hear about this, really difficult at this time of year:confused: You don’t deserve this grief, damn cyber criminals:soap:
Hang onto the loved ones and know we are here for you too.
thx friend

I'm sorry to hear this, you & Mrs. ODAAT have had such a struggle the past two years. I hope you're able to get everything squared away soon.
thank you, it`s been a grind, our boy is disappointed that`s for sure and that`s the hardest part, thank you again

• Love

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I did that when the Covid lockdown started. I was a couple of weeks past due for a cut, and everything shut down, so I let it grow. By the time the barbershop opened back up, I looked like the singer in a bad Allman Bros cover band. It was ridiculous and drove my father in law nuts. He kept asking when I was going to get it all cut off and every time he asked, it made me push that timeframe back by a couple of weeks. In the end it got so long it was super annoying so I buzzed it all off.

got pretty bad with me too around the fall/winter of 2020. My wife sat me down at the kitchen table and hacked away.
She was tired of me looking like ‘Kramer’.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

I got a trim Monday. Went in and said John Wick please. Now i just need a 67 Mustang, Russians to kill my dog, and I could fill in for Keanu.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
We don't tip much in Australia, mostly only at fancy restaurants and to food delivery drivers, and even in those cases it's reduced with the decline in hard cash.

I have no problem tipping when we go to the States or Canada - tend to just set a percentage and stick to it for everything unless the service was particularly good or bad - but it can feel strange for a while handing over so much extra money constantly because we're just not used to it.

Most of the listed prices for things being pre-tax is my bugbear though - just tell me up front what something actually costs and leave it at that! That one trips up first-time travellers to the US all the time.

The reason for the tax thing is there is no universal tax. It varies by state or even by city. It also varies by type of item (i.e. in Mass, clothes and unprepared food are untaxed, prepared food is). So we get used to seeing the taxes calculated at the checkout.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
horrible few days, went to pay for flights for my son to visit us for Christmas, discovered my cards had been used/hacked or whatever you call it, had made $1700 of room on them to afford his flights as atrocious as those prices are. Had to notify Credit bureaus, banks, all cards now cancelled but I sure as hell don`t have my $1700 and the boy will remain in Halifax for the holidays

I try to do all the right things in my personal life, I believe most people are good, this simply sucks, we don`t make a massive amount of cash, been through enough personal struggles over the last 2 years and now this.

We`ll get over it but man has this been a kick in the nuts of 2 days
That’s terrible Andrew. Hope it all gets resolved quickly and easily as you guys don’t need that kind of unneeded stress on top of everything you’ve had going on.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Tried it over the pandemic. I was due for a haircut right around the time everything shut down and then couldn't get a haircut anywhere until like December of that year, so I had nearly shoulder-length hair by that point. It's not as fun as I thought long hair would be. It got hot and was messy. I do wish that I had grown my hair out in my teens or 20s when I had less responsibilities and could take fashion risks, but it didn't work for me in my 30s.
It's fun with two shoulder length hair people in the bathroom.
and by fun I mean there's a lot of vacuuming. :rolleyes:

I will not state what I pay for my hair.

I'll just be over here, crying.

:sarcasm:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The reason for the tax thing is there is no universal tax. It varies by state or even by city. It also varies by type of item (i.e. in Mass, clothes and unprepared food are untaxed, prepared food is). So we get used to seeing the taxes calculated at the checkout.

Yeah I know. And in this age of cards it's less of an issue paying, you just tap for whatever amount and go on your way. But when we used to carry cash it was more frustrating. You'd like to have the right amount ready (I suspect perhaps that's an Aussie trait!), and reduce accumulation of too many coins, and that's harder to do when you're only guesstimating the price of things on the way to the checkout. No big deal, just one of those little differences that you notice more as a visitor.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'd had short hair since I got my ROTC orientation buzz cut my freshman year of college, but had been kicking around the idea of being able to do something, anything different. And this was just before I turned 50, and didn't have kids to embarrass, so it seemed a good opportunity. Turns out I really like it longer.
That was definitely a good reason to keep putting off the buzz. Hopefully when you knew you'd be seeing him, you didn't brush or wash it so it was extra annoying. It's the little things in life!
I got a trim Monday. Went in and said John Wick please. Now i just need a 67 Mustang, Russians to kill my dog, and I could fill in for Keanu.
I actually am getting my second trim in almost 3 years next week. Planning on taking off more than a basic trim, but still long enough to have options. Unfortunately, my hair is too curly and full to pull off the John Wick look.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I never liked sausage. My mom used to make it on occasion...Once I bit down one of those little hard things that was it for me.
Love sausage, prosciutto, olives, fromage, pate, hot sopressetta, etc, Salad, crudite, seafood of all kinds, especially shrimp, crab, bisque & chowder, raw oysters, Cajun food, haute cuisine & French country fare.

And a bone dry Martini with hors d'oeuvre every evening whilst viewing the PBS NewsHour.

✌️😎

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Lagrassas is fantastic. When @Glove Malfunction and i were working at downtown crossing it was a weekly lunch spot. This was almost 10 years ago, and back then it was either $12 or $13 for every sandwich they offered. I think it varies wildly now and they are close to $30 for some of them

I went a few years ago and paid $17 for a pastrami and corned beef combo(one of my old favorites there) and it was as good as ever. At 17 bucks it’s a nice treat every now and again. Once we are approaching 30 it’s now in the “we are just preying on out of towners” category.
It's $25 for the chipotle pastrami, and I ain't paying $25+ for a pastrami sandwich, no matter how good. Too cheap.

However, because it's such a treat, and I received two rather handsome federal tax refunds recently, after waiting over a year, I'm going to pick up a lobster roll for the same price at Luke's in downtown crossing tomorrow.

Warm clarified butter, this time out. Rather than mayo. I hear good things about Luke's so we'll see how it goes..

Review pending.

Has anyone else been to Alden and Harlow in Harvard square? It's been 5 plus years, but that was very, very good. Pork shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad