Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Discontent III: Discontent with a Vengeance

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Have to think that Management is just not willing to pony up significant $$ for Free Agent OF. So, Cain is out of the question I think.

Has to be a trade imo. But what OF's with power is available?
Martinez and Cain are still sitting out there in free agency.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think Morales will be moved and Pearce will be our DH.

Pillar, Granderson, Zeke and a FA will be our outfield.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Moving Morales probably makes more sense than moving Pearce, if only because Pearce can play a position now and then and Morales basically HAS to DH to be in the lineup.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
So I guees they're platooning Pearce and Granderson in left.

Does this leave enough money to add an impact arm or bat?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
IMO expect another $5-7m spent on a bad SP. and a couple incentive $1-2m deals on other ST invite SPs, and that's a wrap for the offseason.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Granderson is probably a platoon with Pearce. Do not see another signing in the OF. I think they like Hernandez too much. SP is probably the focus, then just depth.

I do wonder whose spot he takes though: Carrera or Morales? I think one has to get dealt at this point, because both have pretty pricey deals for the minors and the Jays already have ample depth (even if they didn't, sign a guy on a MLC) at those positions.

Maybe they place a premium on pitching given there will be 2 UFA's coming up and you never know with starting pitching. Even then, Jays have Alford, Pompey, and others coming up in the near future in the OF; no need to really overspend on an OF when the money goes towards a 5SP who can step up if Estrada and Happ are not back next year.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I would guess Morales is out and Pearce/Granderson platoon the DH spot and become a bench 1B/LF when they are not playing and then we still go after a Cain for RF.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Always the waiver wire as well.

More likely to find depth through that. They do not have many holes in the bullpen, so besides pitching or depth otherwise, do not see that solving many problems. They need quality, not a long shot, for their remaining holes. They've got long shots already internally for pretty much every position (at least the ones without a lot of proven depth; not too much at 2B/SS in the high minors but the Jays have vets there now).

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Smoak.

FG wOBA projections:

1. Donaldson (.386)
2. Smoak (.344)
3. Pearce (.337)
4. Granderson (.335)
5. Morales (.334)
6. Tulowitzki (.331)
7. Solarte (.331)
8. Vlad Jr (Yes, .329)
9. Martin (.325)
10. Travis (.323)

Ugh.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
All a Pearce/Granderson platoon means is that Granderson will be playing against lefties for at least two months of the season.

And if we're going to talk about the ol' favourite topic, the three year exit velocity charts are...not inspiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeke

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I would guess Morales is out and Pearce/Granderson platoon the DH spot and become a bench 1B/LF when they are not playing and then we still go after a Cain for RF.
A Morales to KC deal for Hammel would look nice right about now, if they could bring in Cain that is.

1. 2B Travis (R)
2. 3B Donaldson (R)
3. RF Cain (R)
4. 1B Smoak (S)
5. DH Pearce (R) / Granderson (L)
6. SS Tulowitzki (R)
7. C Martin (R)
8. LF Hernandez (R)
9. CF Pillar (R)

Bench: Maile (R), Solarte (S), Diaz (R), Pearce (R)/Granderson (L)

1. Stroman (R)
2. Sanchez (R)
3. Happ (L)
4. Estrada (R)
5. Hammel (R)

1. Mayza (L)
2. Barnes (R)
3. Loup (L)
4. Tepera (R)
5. Leone (R)
6. Biagini (R)
7. Osuna (R)

Currently on my phone so adding in projections or their 2017 stats would be an absolute pain, but with those two moves and assuming nothing else happens, that would likely be the opening day team.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
A Morales to KC deal for Hammel would look nice right about now, if they could bring in Cain that is.

1. 2B Travis (R)
2. 3B Donaldson (R)
3. RF Cain (R)
4. 1B Smoak (S)
5. DH Pearce (R) / Granderson (L)
6. SS Tulowitzki (R)
7. C Martin (R)
8. LF Hernandez (R)
9. CF Pillar (R)

Bench: Maile (R), Solarte (S), Diaz (R), Pearce (R)/Granderson (L)

1. Stroman (R)
2. Sanchez (R)
3. Happ (L)
4. Estrada (R)
5. Hammel (R)

1. Mayza (L)
2. Barnes (R)
3. Loup (L)
4. Tepera (R)
5. Leone (R)
6. Biagini (R)
7. Osuna (R)

Currently on my phone so adding in projections or their 2017 stats would be an absolute pain, but with those two moves and assuming nothing else happens, that would likely be the opening day team.

Granderson not good enough for the field?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I like this move if he is used as depth. Jays have upgraded the depth on this team and with a few pieces in AAA their depth is much improved compared to last year. They still have a hole in the OF and need a fifth starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad