Winter Classic 2012: Rangers @ Flyers? (UPD - Confirmed)

KzooShark

Jun 3, 2004
Other than a major lack of Western Conference participants, the emphasis has been on Eastern Conference (and Original 6) teams.

Colorado? Minnesota? Why aren't they even considered for hosting? Could it be that the powers that be believe that they'll get better ratings with teams from the Eastern Conference?

Why not try to put together a GREAT matchup of two "good" (as in how they play the game) hockey teams?

For instance. Sharks-Wings. I must have read about three dozen comments **from around the league** about how this playoff series that just wrapped up was the BEST they have EVER seen. That's a lot of hockey these folks have watched to declare that series at the top of their list.

It'd be nice to see them try to pimp some postseason events in this game instead of the same tired matchups that I've seen dozens of times at 12:30 on Sundays. Even taking my homer glasses off for a minute, if you're hellbent on having the Flyers host, why not send the Bruins there with the back story of "the collapse" and "the sweep of redemption". And I didn't even have to leave the safe little box that NBC refuses to come out of.

The Caps/Pens were interesting because they don't like each other and there is a rivalry there, even if the NHL tries to make it out as being more epic then Habs/Bruins. And a decent chunk of that rivalry is from their one postseason matchup. The playoffs are when this league shines. Act like it.

Vic Rattlehead*

It feels like the same teams over and over again. Should be a good match-up, nonetheless.

Good.

The Capitals, Penguins, Bruins, Red Wings, Rangers, Flyers, and Hawks all draw ratings.

It's all about ratings and making money...why wouldn't the NHL keep using these teams?

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Lame. They should have something like the Anaheim @ Toronto. Seeing those Californians trying to survive the -40 Temperatures would be awesome :sarcasm:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i still think toronto @ detroit (big house) would be amazing.

maybe we get lucky and cbc decides to include detroit in a heritage game.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
They are going to kill this thing if they keep putting the same teams in.

It really wears down on the novelty.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

I know Montreal just had one so it is VERY unlikely, but a Habs Leafs heritage game for the leafs 100 year celebration would be epic beyond belief

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK

Oh yeah. I remember this season when the Leafs and Wings played there were a few fights in the stands. Awesome stuff.

I agree. I'm already getting sick of the extravaganzarmafest the media pulls every time the Caps and Pens play each other

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

***** novelty. The NBC-type PTB are picking the teams/match ups they feel will have the biggest ratings.

Missing out on a number of good-hockey-played-here teams in the Western Conference.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
***** novelty. The NBC-type PTB are picking the teams/match ups they feel will have the biggest ratings.

Missing out on a number of good-hockey-played-here teams in the Western Conference.

Right now the reason this thing gets such great ratings (for a hockey game) is the novelty of it. The newness, the freshness, etc.

If they keep having the same teams year after year, it is going to kill it. It will still die eventually, but they are really exacerbating the problem.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
wasn't it a given it was going to be on the second? I mean, it would be pretty embarrassing otherwise.

Cornwall OHL

That's my O face.
Jun 18, 2010
South Glengarry
IMO it's still too early for the Rangers. That's the team you bring in as a shot in the arm during a down year. The WC still has enough novelty to sell itself, so using up the marquee teams now is short-sighted.

Not to mention the Rangers might well be outside the playoff bracket...

Didn't the NHL already have the Rangers play some team from Alaska?

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
Being a Flyer fan, I'm not going to complain about being in it again. Maybe the diehards will get annoyed, but the casual fan isn't going to remember who was in it year to year. And really, its the casual and non-hockey fans that they are trying to bring in.
Flyers/Rangers makes sense. 2 big market teams. Even if the Rangers aren't a contending team, they are still a big name. Sure, I would love it be against the Sharks or a number of other teams, but NBC is looking for the biggest possible audience.

I just wish it was going to be at the Linc and not CBP. I know the view won't be great at either, but at least at the Linc your right on top of it. Plus, the Linc would allow for 20,000 extra tickets which I don't think they would have a problem selling out.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad