Winter Classic 2012: Rangers @ Flyers? (UPD - Confirmed)

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
this is the problem with selecting these historical teams more than once... this isn't really a heritage jersey so much as a minor variation of their regular one

Bean in Charge

Dec 24, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I just noticed that the game is on the 2nd this year. Is there a reason for that?

I thought they were trying to build up a tradition of having the game on Jan 1st?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I just noticed that the game is on the 2nd this year. Is there a reason for that?

I thought they were trying to build up a tradition of having the game on Jan 1st?

College football (at least some bowl games) doesn't "do" Sundays.

It's a federal holiday on Monday.

Rose Parade and Rose Bowl (usually the "lead up" for Winter Classic) is on Monday.

Etcetera.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

The 1st is a Sunday, and they don't want to compete with the NFL as Bettman knows that they'd be crushed in the ratings. That simple, really.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
New Year's Day bowls have been moved to Monday since the 1920s... initially because they didn't play on Sundays period but since the 80's due to NFL competition. It only makes sense for the NHL to follow along, they'd never be able to compete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad