Post-Game Talk: Winnipeg @ Washington | 2/25/20 | 7p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Phew. A sorta deserved win.

A lot to like and a lot not to like. All 3 of their goals resulted from egregiously bad plays from us.
Did May Day Holtby was phenomenal? Bit of an exaggeration.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Obviously glad we got the two points. Some things were better like their compete level, getting the puck down low and scoring in the dirty areas, and having four lines that you can roll. But this team isn’t going far until they cut down on needless turnovers. They are up 3-0 against a skilled offensive team and are still trying to play run and gun hockey.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Caps played much better than they have lately but some really bad plays ended up in the back of the net. Still work to do

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Should have never gone to OT but glad we won. How about that terribad play by Holtby on the 3rd WPG goal... Wtf was he doing? Other than that he had a really good game though. Good to see Hathaway get one and I thought Kovy fit in really well. Dillon continues to impress and gives me that comfort level like good-Orpik did. Gotta start piling up the points now boys, I'll take it.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
They outplayed the hell out of WPG but goddamn 3 HORRID clusterf***s nearly killed them. Just inexcusable. My god.

and 70 has been better but he was diabolical on the first and third goals.

So frustrating but..:I’m encouraged

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
How can anyone blame Holtby for goal number three? What exactly was he supposed to do?

Any way, shootouts are for losers and I turned it off as I always do, glad for the extra point, glad they haven't been in one since Nov. 23rd.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Caps still not good at math as 2/3 doesn't = 1. From a goalies standpoint the Jets 1st and 3rd goals are ones Holtby should stop. After they went up 3-0, the Caps let up and the Jets had the better play. Liked all 4 forward lines. Team needs to have a shutdown mentality being up 3-0 and counter-attacking when you can.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
How can anyone blame Holtby for goal number three? What exactly was he supposed to do?

Any way, shootouts are for losers and I turned it off as I always do, glad for the extra point, glad they haven't been in one since Nov. 23rd.
Stay upright and butterfly and not dive/stretch out like a NHL goalie from the 80's! If you gonna flail your goalie stick like he, then make it effective.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Ok, just seems like a lot of things were flying at him and that puck is awfully small.

Ya - I dont mind the play all all. He got beat, it happens. He played a solid game all around. Didnt like the 1st one.. but it was fluky.. happens to all goalies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Generally a much better game than they’ve been playing lately. Offense looked good and there weren’t as many turnovers. I thought they did a better job getting pucks low too and working the cycle instead of trying to be too cute. There were obviously still some lapses and it was disappointing that they blew the 3-0 lead but they deserved 2 points and they got it. They were the much better team at 5 on 5 and their PK was fantastic as well. Holtby made some good saves but kind of cancelled it out by allowing 2 weak goals.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I am ok with that game. Holtby looked great again. Kuzy looked excellent. I saw 3 really dumb mistakes that cost them, but otherwise another win. Oh...the 4th line was excellent.

That's precisely what I thought.

Dowd had a nice game at both ends of the ice.

Top line had some great chances. Kuzy was skating like it was 2018.

Second line scored but also got hemmed in a bit too much.

Third line looked better than it has in weeks. Kovalchuk + Eller + Hags might have the makings of a good line.

The mistakes can be fixed. Team chemistry was better than it has been.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I am ok with that game. Holtby looked great again. Kuzy looked excellent. I saw 3 really dumb mistakes that cost them, but otherwise another win. Oh...the 4th line was excellent.

The 4th line is what stood out the most to me. I liked everything I saw from them.

Otherwise, like you say. Major individual mistakes leading to goals against. If anything, it felt like the Jets played this game the same way Caps have played most of their games since the All-Star break and managed to squeak out a not entirely deserved point.

Kuznetsov had one of his better games in some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad