Post-Game Talk: Winnipeg @ Washington | 2/25/20 | 7p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Honestly at this point I almost prefer the shootout. At least shit happens fairly regularly.

I dislike OT and the shootout. I would prefer OT if they introduced a shot clock or forced possession to be turned over if the team with the puck carries it back past the blue line.
But it seems we are stuck with this stupid format and the loser point etc.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
I thought kovy looked good. Didn’t like where they played him onthe pp. he should be on one of the sides of the point for his shot. Maybe its just me but ive never really seen the elite speed everybody talks about from hagelin. Now watch mcdavid, thats elite speed.

Reactions: RandyHolt

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Jensen was great tonight. Kempny needs a couple of games on the bench to think about some things.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Thought d was better, our forecheck also looked better, and it’s always nice to see scoring balanced through the lines. Winnipeg kept fighting and got some dirty goals to keep them in it. The first goal where the puck fell off of holtby just happens sometimes. I thought 70 was good. Now go get a two game sweep.

Reactions: Calicaps

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Ya - I dont mind the play all all. He got beat, it happens. He played a solid game all around. Didnt like the 1st one.. but it was fluky.. happens to all goalies.

To be exact Holtby almost played that 1st goal right. He came out on the angle and absorbed the shot. The problem is his butterfly mechanics were a smidge off(top of his right pad overlapped the top of his left pad leaving just enough gap for the puck to roll out). He needed to seal the top of his leg pads. The puck hit him in the pants and rolled instead of the puck laying flat on the ice. Also Holtby didn't even look down at his knees. To say that it happens to all goalies, is not accurate. A lot of goalies who regularly play the butterfly have a perfect seal of the top of the leg pads.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The 4th line is what stood out the most to me. I liked everything I saw from them.

Otherwise, like you say. Major individual mistakes leading to goals against. If anything, it felt like the Jets played this game the same way Caps have played most of their games since the All-Star break and managed to squeak out a not entirely deserved point.

Kuznetsov had one of his better games in some time.
Liked the 4th line too and not sure why Reirden didn't give them more minutes.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I dislike OT and the shootout. I would prefer OT if they introduced a shot clock or forced possession to be turned over if the team with the puck carries it back past the blue line.
But it seems we are stuck with this stupid format and the loser point etc.
It's all terrible but the loser point is the absolute worst. If the NHL is so insistent on having a winner for every game, then they should commit to it. Let overtime and SO stuff serve as tiebreaks,.Giving teams an incentive to turtle late in regulation is bad or the game.

Reactions: Heath

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Well
2 points
They played with energy

Didn't like the refs on the first goal. Holtby should have got the quick whistle

Kovy had some chances, like the hit in the 1st.
I hope the fans won't start to blame him for hus - 2,
The first one, Carlson could have play it better
And the 2nd one, he was coming on the ice instead of Oshie while Scheifle was already near Holtby

Reactions: Heath

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
BTW, sweet goals by Ovi and Vrana.
Liked the video by the legends that are ahead of Ovi in the goal scoring list.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I thought kovy looked good. Didn’t like where they played him onthe pp. he should be on one of the sides of the point for his shot. Maybe its just me but ive never really seen the elite speed everybody talks about from hagelin. Now watch mcdavid, thats elite speed.

Kovalchuk looked fine. He had a crushing hit and nearly scored a soft on the goalie goal. His turnover was nearly backbreaking for a team trying to reconstruct its confidence.

On the pp he plays there or doesn't. They just did not bring him in to take Ovechkin's pp2 spot. They didn't bring him in to take Kuzy's spot either. Eller and Hagelin have the puck now and Kovalchuk gives them something the opposition has to legit fear whenever that is true. That's enough

Reactions: marcel snapshot

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We continue to be a 20 minute hockey team. I’m not sure if it’s conditioning or coaching at this point.

I didn't see the game that way at all. I saw an awful play by Kempny and one from Kovalchuk plus an all star move against Orlov plus a bad bounce. The Caps could have won that game 5-0. Someone said that earlier. But its hockey. To say that was a 20 minute game is unfair

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's all terrible but the loser point is the absolute worst. If the NHL is so insistent on having a winner for every game, then they should commit to it. Let overtime and SO stuff serve as tiebreaks,.Giving teams an incentive to turtle late in regulation is bad or the game.

The last time I looked there were a lot of NHL teams with 30% plus of their games end regulation as a tie. That would be a catastrophe. You cant have a salary cap parity league and ties.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I loved seeing Kovy man up and crush the peg in the first. High skill players that hit provide me with much entertainment during preseason.

I hate the loser point. It should be eliminated completely. It hurts the game and clouds the standings.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
anyone got vids of the Kovie/Orlov hits?

Vranas wheels are bananas, he got to full speed so fast

I don't have video for those but the biggest hit actually was Panik destroying Wheeler. I was like...OMG. The TSN guys were like Holy ****.

I need to be my own filter now?

Reactions: max21

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I don't have video for those but the biggest hit actually was Panik destroying Wheeler. I was like...OMG. The TSN guys were like Holy ****.

I need to be my own filter now?
one of the worst part about being a fan from afar is that a lot of the plays don't make it into the NHL game recap - especially big hits or after the whistle stuff/cheapshots - basically anything that could make the NHL look too mean

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Kovy seemed genuinely apologetic about the boneheaded pass to Carlson that led to the Jets 2nd goal in his locker room interview. Said his -2 was not a good start and needs to watch video and get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->