Winnipeg Sun: Jets, Mark Chipman, call for help as attendance decreases

Reaser

May 19, 2021
That was the only list I could find. I thought Hockey DB used to keep those types of lists but I couldn’t find it there

Jets: 2023-24 Winnipeg Jets Schedule | Hockey-Reference.com

NHL: https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2024_games.html

Click on "Att." to sort high-to-low, click again to sort low-to-high.

e.g. the 3 least-attended Jets games -home or away- this season are @ Arizona x2 and @ San Jose.

e.g. the 29 least-attended games in the NHL this season are 22 @ Arizona then 7 @ San Jose.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Other markets managed to hang on to their team during the depression. When push came to shove, Pittsburgh didn't support their team & lost it. :(

If nothing else, this thread has convinced me that both Winnipeg and Pittsburgh have been proven unworthy of the NHL. I take no pleasure in taking this position, but I strongly encourage the league to revoke both franchises, posthaste.
Get rid of Toronto too. Put them out of their misery. They suck

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Winnipeg long term was a mistake. Unless the population skyrockets and all of a sudden you get a massive surge of corporations there it's going to be a drag on the league. Ottawa has similar issues with corporate support too. Anyone clamoring for a Quebec City return has to understand how the NHL would only go there if there is no other option at all including owning the team and waiting it out. I don't expect tv deals to increase substantially in the future. Cable subs are dropping and hockey's popularity in the States is stagnant at best (that's the media market that can help prop low attendance). Doubt that after Rogers lost money on the current NHL deal anyone will give them a substantial increase too.
US hockey fans have increased from 6% to 7% in recent years. It is not going to 10% in the near future.

I have heard that Canadian players don't want to play in Winnipeg. That kills off the free agent market, and limits how good the team can be.

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
Players who want an easy life collecting a paycheque somewhere warm away from scrutiny don't want to play in Winnipeg.

Players who want to win have no problem with it.

Winning the cup and warm sunny markets definitely aren't mutually exclusive, as the past 30 years have shown.

If I'm a 20-something millionaire hockey player, I don't want to be in Winnipeg.

If I'm a 30-something millionaire hockey player with a family, I don't want to be in Winnipeg.

You act like not wanting to be mobbed or bothered in public or preferring warm locations is a character flaw.

Last edited:

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
You act like not wanting to be mobbed or bothered in public or preferring warm locations is a character flaw.
To be fair, this board often laments the league's inability to make stars of its players. Yet simultaneously you hear arguments like this which equate to: "We shouldn't expect the top players to go anywhere they'd be recognized like a star." It's a bit of a clunky conundrum.

Also, I don't think it's a flaw to seek warmer climates but I also find it incredibly weird the level of contempt actual hockey fans hold for the season of winter (which albeit is really winter in Winnipeg compared to, say, Boston). It's like.....you don't see baseball fans talking about how it would only be natural for the best players to want to go to New York to cool off......

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Winnipeg Jets have held onto first place in the league for their last 4 games.

Their last game was a sellout again.

Sure, keep telling yourself that no hockey players want to come to Winnipeg......

Reactions: GoldenSeal

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Players who want an easy life collecting a paycheque somewhere warm away from scrutiny don't want to play in Winnipeg.

Players who want to win have no problem with it.
I mean this logic would make sense if teams like Toronto or Winnipeg won anything in last 50 years or so.

Sure, keep telling yourself that no hockey players want to come to Winnipeg......
See, I never understand why anyone thinks whether player wants to play in certain market would impact whether league places a team.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Jim Hughson, Don Cherry, Ron McLean HNIC is not the Internet.

For context, they all said Winnipeg sould sell out every game if given a team back, which they did. If they were to be asked "will the Jets sellout every single home game for the next 20 years?" I am pretty sure none of them would agree with that. All teams have ebbs and flows.

The Jets sellout streak came to an end on October 14, 2019, at 314 games. In that season, the Jets still managed to sellout all but 3 games.. In other words, in an entire decade, the Jets only had three non-sellouts.

For the past couple of seasons, the team has had some attendance problems, but I ahve no doubt that will change when the corporate ticket base doubles, and TNSE is forced to improve the fan experience.

Last edited:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
For context, they all said Winnipeg sould sell out every game if given a team back, which they did. If they were to be asked "will the Jets sellout every single home game for the next 20 years?" I am pretty sure none of them would agree with that. All teams have ebbs and flows.
UH, what?

This post confuses me. Surely "Winnipeg will sell out every game" implies this to be the case as long as they have the team?

Reactions: Gnashville

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
UH, what?

This post confuses me. Surely "Winnipeg will sell out every game" implies this to be the case as long as they have the team?

They obviously meant the short term.

Do you really think that certain media figures in 2011 would have said "yes, Winnipeg will sellout every single game for decades! In fact, they will even sellout all games after a worldwide pandemic, and well into the 22nd century!"

If 314 consecutive sellout does not impress you, well by all means, revoke the franchise and move it back to Atlanta.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Winnipeg long term was a mistake.

Winnipeg has made money nearly every year since they returned in 2011. How on Earth was it a mistake to bring the NHL back to Winnipeg. If we really look back at NHL history in the past 50 years, there are not too many examples of the NHL making a mistake by placing a NHL team in a certain market. Even granting a hockey team to Atlanta was definitely not a mistake.

IN the late 90s, the group led by Time-Warner, spearheaded by ted Turner, were awarded an NHL team. They had just opened a 17,000+ seat arena. If the AOL-Time Warner deal had not been an unmitigated disaster, the Thrashers would still be here. In spite of what people think, what did in the Thrashers was the new ownership, who purchased the Thrashers, NBA Hawks, and the arena in 2003.

Unless the population skyrockets and all of a sudden you get a massive surge of corporations there it's going to be a drag on the league.

Winnipeg could be on the cusp of a population boom. The Winnipeg CMA has increased from roughly 740,000 people in 2011 to 910,000 today. Considering the fact that hundreds of thousands of people are being priced out of the BC and Southern Ontario market, and moving to Alberta and the Maritimes in the past few year at record numbers, suggests this phenomenon will soon hit Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Many have predicted in the trend continues, the Winnipeg region could hit 1,000,000 in as little as 5 years.

Ottawa has similar issues with corporate support too.

The big issue in Ottawa was horrible ownership with Eugene Melnyk for the last several years, not to mention the mistake of building the arena on the far west end of the city, where it is difficult for the majority of people in the region to commute to. Aside from that, the Senators are in great shape, and have made money literally every year since the late 90s.

Anyone clamoring for a Quebec City return has to understand how the NHL would only go there if there is no other option at all including owning the team and waiting it out.

This is exactly what happened in Winnipeg, as the NHL has no intention of owning two NHL clubs. However, I can't see the NHL wanting to repeat the Coyotes fiasco, and take over a franchise. Aside from that, there is interest from billionaires in Utah and Texas, that would love to have an NHL team.

I don't expect tv deals to increase substantially in the future. Cable subs are dropping and hockey's popularity in the States is stagnant at best (that's the media market that can help prop low attendance). Doubt that after Rogers lost money on the current NHL deal anyone will give them a substantial increase too.

First off, hockey's popularity is not dropping in the US. The only sport that has seen ratings plummet for the last few decades is MLB baseball. Additionally, NHL attendance is as strong as ever, averaging over 17,100 fans/game.

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Considering the whole point of market like Winnipeg and QC having a team, as I was told, is they will sell out no matter what, no not really.
That is not realistic. The longest sellout streak in NHL history came to an end in October 2021. Pittsburgh had sold out 633 straight games, dating back to 2007. If places like Toronto, Montreal, and NYC are not selling out every game since 2011, how can we expect Winnipeg or Quebec to?

If Gary Bettman and the NHL knew in 2011, that Winnipeg sold out all but three games in their first decade of play, he would have been extremely happy.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
That is not realistic. The longest sellout streak in NHL history came to an end in October 2021. Pittsburgh had sold out 633 straight games, dating back to 2007. If places like Toronto, Montreal, and NYC are not selling out every game since 2011, how can we expect Winnipeg or Quebec to?

If Gary Bettman and the NHL knew in 2011, that Winnipeg sold out all but three games in their first decade of play, he would have been extremely happy.
Hey listen, I agree with you.

I just wish people who've been telling me that, would understand that.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
They obviously meant the short term.

Do you really think that certain media figures in 2011 would have said "yes, Winnipeg will sellout every single game for decades! In fact, they will even sellout all games after a worldwide pandemic, and well into the 22nd century!"

If 314 consecutive sellout does not impress you, well by all means, revoke the franchise and move it back to Atlanta.
They said attendance would NEVER be an issue! They implied the team would sell out in perpetuity.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
They said attendance would NEVER be an issue! They implied the team would sell out in perpetuity.

Sometimes fanboyism gets in the way of practicality.

Looking at the attendance history on HockeyDB it’s quite obvious the CoVid era took away all the momentum they had.

So who knows if there hadn’t been a pandemic coupled with major shifts in the economy if they wouldn’t be still selling out or close to it today??

All this slinging back and forth about “guaranteed sellouts” isn’t getting anyone anywhere.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I mean this logic would make sense if teams like Toronto or Winnipeg won anything in last 50 years or so.

My Winnipeg Jets fandom demands that I inform you that the Winnipeg Jets won THREE AVCO Cup World Championships within the last 50 years.

Who said that? Be specific please.

Last edited:

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
My Winnipeg Jets fandom demands that I inform you that the Winnipeg Jets won THREE AAVCO Cup World Championships within the last 50 years.
Just as a small tangent I don't think I've ever dropped on this board before, my family and I went to the HHoF in 1992 and the Avco Cup was not in a case (it was on some sort of uncovered pedestal instead). To this day, I'm 85% confident that if I'd wanted to, I could have just picked it up and walked out of the building and I'm not sure who would have noticed. 😅

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
It isn’t an issue.
It isn’t an issue if they drew 8,000 fans a night.
Know why?
Because the OWNERS don’t have an issue with attendance here. Bottom line. Full stop.
The only place it is an issue is in your head.
Winnipeg, like it or not, isn’t going anywhere anytime soon or in the distant future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad