Winnipeg Sun: Jets, Mark Chipman, call for help as attendance decreases

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

Why did you create identical threads within several minutes of each other in BoH and the main NHL talk area with the exact same article but different thread titles. Are you just trying to get as much attention on this topic to shit on the Jets?

Last edited by a moderator:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Why did you create identical threads within several minutes of each other in BoH and the main NHL talk area with the exact same article but different thread titles. Are you just trying to get as much attention on this topic to shit on the Jets?
Because I’m interested in both what the community as a whole and our dedicated business board posters (who are infinitely more knowledgeable than myself) think about this topic. And I’ve been very vocal on this board about wanting to see every league expand to as many diverse markets as possible in both the US and Canada so I don’t know why you think I want the Jets to fail

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Since this place usually has a good grasp on how the business of sports works, I was wondering if anyone else thought this was a bit odd. We don't know how the ownership of TNSE is structured other than Chipman and Thomson each own a piece of the team through their respective companies Megill-Stephenson and Osmington Inc.

Everyone has always assumed Chipman was the majority shareholder but while looking at TNSE's board of directors I noticed Thomson's company Osmington Inc controls more board seats than Megill-Stephenson. Osmington controls 3 and Megill-Stephenson only 2. TNSE board of directors.

Wouldn't it be strange for the minority partner to control more board seats?

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Hmmm, not so easy, is it, Winnipeg? Before you respond, one more Q: How much do you pay there to keep all the windows in that glass house clean?
The jets averaged 3x as many fans as the Coyotes did this year and that was a down year. Even in a bad year they managed to average 93% capacity, the only way the coyotes could come close to that in the last 10 years was to move to a junior hockey sized arena. Go back to worrying about where your favorite team will be playing in 3 years because based on the blitz the NHL is trying to do in Tempe right now it's not looking too good.

Last edited by a moderator:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Jets are looking for more corporate support currently only 15% of sst are corporate, compared to the other teams in Canada the low is 45% the high is 85%. Jets are going no where!
That’s something their sales team should be working on.

Reactions: Jets4Life

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The jets averaged 3x as many fans as the Coyotes did this year and that was a down year. Even in a bad year they managed to average 93% capacity, the only way the coyotes could come close to that in the last 10 years was to move to a junior hockey sized arena. Go back to worrying about where your favorite team will be playing in 3 years because based on the blitz the NHL is trying to do in Tempe right now it's not looking too good.

We would… other than some Winnipeg fans have been slagging Arizona since they moved here in 1996 and still do now.

It’s never easy when the shoe’s on the other foot.

I’m pulling for both teams to solve their issues myself.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
We would… other than some Winnipeg fans have been slagging Arizona since they moved here in 1996 and still do now.

It’s never easy when the shoe’s on the other foot.

I’m pulling for both teams to solve their issues myself.
The Jets had one down year and still had 93% attendance, I really don't think its fair to even discuss the topic in the same breath as the Coyotes issues.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
The Jets had one down year and still had 93% attendance, I really don't think its fair to even discuss the topic in the same breath as the Coyotes issues.
Yes...but...the Jets barely avoided blowing a playoff berth...the window looks to be closing vs opening. Will the downward attendance trend continue? Any Jet fans should worry about your own house before throwing more shade on others.

Coz it ain't looking good for y"all either.

Reactions: GreenHornet

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

That does not explain how the the Coyotes precovid attendance in 2019-20 as a perrenial bottom feeder was higher than the Jets attendance this past season. The Coyotes were perennial bottom feeders preceeding that season and the Jets are obviously a perennial playoff team. But sure, take the easy swipe at their arena. It is a lot easier to pick the low hanging fruit for the Coyotes and ignoring the problems facing the Jets.

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
Not living in Winnipeg, I'm curious if the aforementioned video is a savvy marketing strategy. I could see that playing well in the early to mid 2010s when the return of the NHL played into that civic "no one thought we could do it" pride. In 2023, wouldn't you want to sell the "can't miss it, we're on the hunt for the Cup" angle? Esp. for a team that's made the playoffs five years of the past six? It feels like pleading, and not selling.

But again, I don't live there ergo why I'm asking.

Also, all the Coyotes-Jets chirping is silly within the context of the current franchises because their challenges are entirely different from the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad